Not really and issue, but an good encounter with the PD

This is a discussion on Not really and issue, but an good encounter with the PD within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is pretty much a non-event, but I wanted to share. Yesterday, my son and myself road along with my father and his girlfriend to ...

Thread: Not really and issue, but an good encounter with the PD

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar

This is pretty much a non-event, but I wanted to share. Yesterday, my son and myself road along with my father and his girlfriend to collect some money from a few people that he had sold stuff to, which was non-eventful. Then he decided to go try and collect rent from his deadbeat renter who is living at a house that he owns. We get there, I sit in the van and wait for him to come out. I notice that the deadbeat and one of his friends comes outside and seems agitated and I just watch to see what is going on. My father is 64 and only has one good arm and a bad heart. My father comes out of the house and they all start arguing. As I see that they are not going to start acting civil, I got out, just to observe, we served the deadbeat with the standard 3 day notice which he says he will not honor, which they never do.

Let me say before it goes further, this property is a duplex, there are renters on one side, and my uncle lives on the other, the deadbeat is renting a room at my uncles, for 100 month all utilities are paid. He does not feel he should pay that either, but that is another story.

So my dad goes inside the house and the argument continues, I dont know word for word, I was in that adrenaline pumped state. I remember coffee table got flipped (not by me, I stayed just outside the living room in a hallway) and the deadbeat decides to call the police. He told the dispatcher that we were there, told them I had a gun (which I did not due to it being serviced by the manufacture) and that he needed the police. He knew I carried because I helped move some drywall into the place one day and took off my jacket because it was hot and was OC'ing. We waited for the police to come. I already had my ID and CHL in hand when they got there, since this guy said I had a gun, I did not want to put my hands in my pockets if I did not need to. He we going off about this and that, the officer asked if there was a gun, I told and showed him that I had a CHL but was not carrying. He never asked to look at them any further. The whole encounter with the PD was less than 5 minutes.

The guy made the comment that if he ever seen me carrying, he would be calling the police because it is not legal, I just said "be my guest" (Note:Ohio is an OC state). I started thinking maybe when it warms up, if he is not out of there, myself and some friends should go and do a safe (OC) trash pick up in the neighborhood, if ya'll know what I mean.

Although not armed, I wanted to share the experience, seems that once the officer seen I had a CHL in hand, he had no concerns about me.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Wasn't the deadbeat making a 'false report' if he hadn't really seen a gun, but reported doing so?

I assume that your father will be throwing this rent scammer out soon?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The guy made the comment that if he ever seen me carrying, he would be calling the police because it is not legal, I just said "be my guest" (Note:Ohio is an OC state). I started thinking maybe when it warms up, if he is not out of there, myself and some friends should go and do a safe (OC) trash pick up in the neighborhood, if ya'll know what I mean.
    Not a smart idea. Things are just going to go further south with this bonehead and you do not want to give any impression that you tried to intimidate him by coming around with firearms on display right after having had a confrontation with him. Frankly, it wasn't a very smart move for you to allow this guy to know you carry in the first place. Just my not so humble opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Wasn't the deadbeat making a 'false report' if he hadn't really seen a gun, but reported doing so?

I assume that your father will be throwing this rent scammer out soon?
    Your correct on both. The cops here know him very well, on three separate times they have had to use a taser on him, so he is no stranger to the law.

He was given a 3 day notice to leave, which is mandatory in our state before you can file the actual paperwork in the court. Wed morning will be the third business day, in which we will be at the court house filing the eviction charges.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Not a smart idea. Things are just going to go further south with this bonehead and you do not want to give any impression that you tried to intimidate him by coming around with firearms on display right after having had a confrontation with him. Frankly, it wasn't a very smart move for you to allow this guy to know you carry in the first place. Just my not so humble opinion of course.
    Point well taken.

I CC and OC, just depends on the mood, weather and clothing for the day. The only time he ever seen the firearm, the day started out cool so I had a jacket. When it warmed up, which was when we were putting the drywall into the house that day, I took my jacket off, which had me going from concealed to open. I guess he is under the impression that you can only CC here, which is far from correct.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

My response was pretty much given with the title alone. I did scan trough your text on the incident though. Here is what I have at the top of my mind now.
    Any encounter with law enforcement we have (as carriers) shouldn't become an issue at all (unless something else is at issue before our encounter). Next....I'd like to think of us (carriers) as part of the team with LE. I know one thing for sure though, and that is I don't have to wear handcuffs and they do. Think of this in two ways......you don't have to take prisoners to jail, and their hands are tied behind their back in most public situations due to legalities and human rights concerns. Sometimes I wonder who is more limited when it comes to the employment of deadly force. I think it balances out, we are both equal, and we should work as a team. Some things not every LEO realize. If I'm ever presented with the opportunity to save a LEO's life, I will without a second thought. Most of them will give the same back, and it has nothing to do with the job. It's a mutual respect of team members that makes it or breaks it, and I can honestly say I've never had a poor experience with LEO since I've had the card. In the right circumstance, I may even put my own life on the line for a team member. God knows I've been willing to do that before for the common good.

Just to update, the deadbeat moved out this morning, we are going to pursue a no trespass order to keep him away, or atleast try to keep him away.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Links