First LEO encounter while OC-ing

This is a discussion on First LEO encounter while OC-ing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was headed home around 2 am last Friday night after having a couple beers with my buddies. So after about 5 minutes of driving ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First LEO encounter while OC-ing

First LEO encounter while OC-ing

I was headed home around 2 am last Friday night after having a couple beers with my buddies. So after about 5 minutes of driving i see a cop make a sudden U-Turn and he quickly turned his lights on. I pulled over in a little parking lot and the first thing i did was roll my window down and put my palms on the ceiling of the car roof. As he approached me i quickly and clearly announced to him that i was open carrying a handgun. He asked where the pistol was located and i simply replied that it was laying on my front passenger seat next to me. So he just asked me to open the door and present my drivers license... and that was it. He told me what i was pulled over for and told me to slow down and to go on about my business.

Couldn't have gone any better! I hope all LEO are as professional as him
    "Shotgun bullets are bad for your health"
    -Ice Cube

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by G27owner View Post
    I was headed home around 2 am last Friday night after having a couple beers with my buddies. So after about 5 minutes of driving i see a cop make a sudden U-Turn and he quickly turned his lights on. I pulled over in a little parking lot and the first thing i did was roll my window down and put my palms on the ceiling of the car roof. As he approached me i quickly and clearly announced to him that i was open carrying a handgun. He asked where the pistol was located and i simply replied that it was laying on my front passenger seat next to me. So he just asked me to open the door and present my drivers license... and that was it. He told me what i was pulled over for and told me to slow down and to go on about my business.

Yes, and then...No! OMO

Glad this stop was uneventful in a couple of ways. (Probably not a good idea to smell like beer, while CCW...IMHO)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Yes, and then...No! OMO

Glad this stop was uneventful in a couple of ways. (Probably not a good idea to smell like beer, while CCW...IMHO)
    +1 To Retsupt
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Always glad to hear a clean stop. I gotta say after reading the beers comment I thought the story was going to end differently.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good stop reactions on both sides. Sounds like the Cop did what he should have done. Surprised he didn't ask to see you CWP.

I see so many replies worries about extreme LEO reaction (throwing CWP holder on the ground, harrassing, etc.). We don't need LEOs who react like that against a legitimate CWP holder, and they need to be reported and weeded out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

NC law states that you cannot carry concealed while having alcohol in your system. I know you stated that you where open carrying but that is to the determination of the officer and since NC law also requires you state that you have a concealed handgun permit and you have a weapon ....might not be construed as open carrying.....be careful...my rule is alcohol and guns never mix whether legal or not.
    CCWINNC

HK P2000 .40SW
    Para Ord Tac 4 .45acp
    XD 9 Service
    XD 9 SC
    Taurus 651 .357 mag

VIP Member
    What, no investigation into the alcohol by the officer?

As others have said, alcohol and guns don't mix. I understand you have the right to protect yourself even while drinking, but it's not in your best interest. Too much ammo given to the prosecutor if you have alcohol in your system.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

IMVHO, the CCing with alcohol is one issue, but more so is the issue of driving with alcohol.

Just a friendly caution!!
    --- Sig 245
    --- Sig P6 (2)
    --- Sig 228
    --- Kahr PM9

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by G27owner View Post

So, why were you pulled over? Wrong color car, too fast or too slow? Burnt out light?
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

FWIW, there is no law in NC concerning alcohol and OC. You could legally OC stumbling drunk. I would not recommend that. Glad it went well. I do recommend being very careful with the alcohol and guns. You know your limit, I hope. Mines so low anymore, that it's a no go for me. I had enough in college to last the better part of my lifetime.

the "drinking with my buddies" comment bugs me as well. alcohol and guns are a no no, more so for driving and alcohol! Glad you made it home with out getting hurt!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

ahh jeez...here we go with the achohol and gun comments.

So what if bugs ya.....I'm sure the OP is mature enough to know what is what, and the consiquences there of. Give a bit of credit, no?

I don't mind at all that he had a couple of beers.

Heck I've had a couple of beers...(ghasp even a jack and coke one time) while carrying. I didn't turn into a yosamiddysam (sp) or go looking for something for me to draw my weapon on, or become arogant like some drunken patron from Tombstone the movie.

We are pretty much mature adults here I like to believe...and not in need of so much of the scorn I see.

Glad the OP had a good EXP...obviously wasn't to intoxicated for the LEO to notice...and he made it home safe. To maybe have a few more beers?

VIP Member
    The problem I was getting at with the alcohol isn't his judgment or aggressiveness. It is with the likelihood of prosecution based on the alcohol, where if there were none, the likelihood is much different. If people choose to put themselves at risk that way, it's their choice.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I don't mean to offend anyone but,too defend an individual who admittedly was drinking and driving is absurd.And to add the fact that hes carrying.
    The anti's have enough ammo,why give them more to fight with.
    Although your stop went good for you,drinking and driving is not a bright thing to do.One poster even said the OP is mature enough to know whats what,and he didn't have a problem with it and hes even done it.Well i say if he was an adult and mature,he wouldn't have done it.
    To me this dose not show good judgment,and responsible carrying.I have to honestly say after reading this,if this is what being a responsible citizen is about im on the wrong site.
    Last edited by javabum; December 8th, 2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add to the post
    Cluelessness: There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    If people choose to put themselves at risk that way, it's their choice.
    Agreed.

Not really directed to you sigman.

How 'bout this. If the judgement and impairedness doesn't bother or isn't a factor.

Then how is mild alcohol intake (if it's legal to do so in your state) any more against him than say... legally modifying his gun? If he has a good SD shoot and all FACTS point that he is in the right...what's the big deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links