Family get together

This is a discussion on Family get together within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the annual family Thanksgiving dinner and had been there about 90 minutes when my niece (she is 24), happened to see my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family get together

Talking Family get together

I was at the annual family Thanksgiving dinner and had been there about 90 minutes when my niece (she is 24), happened to see my 9mm. I was OCing the entire time and never thought much of it.

Her eyes got REAL big and she asked if it was a gun? I thought for about 30 seconds about all of the answers I could say but just said yes. Her dad spoke up and said yes it is and he always carries. Her dad and I talked about it for about 10 minutes before we got back to the game.

The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

2. Remove Ads

My mom's family would probably freak out if I was OCing at a family get together. My mom even freaks out at the thought of me carrying at all!

Can't wait for CC in WI so nobody will have to know that I carry. And of course so that I don't have to unload my weapon and put it in a case each time I get into a vehicle.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

I carried at the family Thanksgiving dinner as well. It wasn't until the end of the evening that my mom noticed and in a little bit of a huff asked why I brought it. My response, "As Ft. Hood just showed, crazy can happen at any time, and you people are no exception" She rolled her eyes but replied, "Well I can't really argue with that" Heh......the holidays.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

We had a get together around Halloween. My dad had just bought a High Point .45 and was showing his brother when I arrived. I got out of the van and asked if this was the gun show. My cousin then pulls out his P3at and strikes some gangster style pose. So I sweep my jacket away from my G19. My uncle goes, "Alright Wyatt, settle down." When I got up to them I asked my uncle what he was carrying. He pulled up his sweatshirt and has a Ruger IWB. Safest family dinner on the block.

My family is a little on the dense side of things...half of them still don't know I carry even though I usually OC.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

My family and future in laws all are aware I carry, and it is old news now. They know that if I am awake and wearing clothes it is on me somewhere, just a non-issue. The in-laws were somewhat mystified at first because they thought of guns to be hunting and LE tools. I have slowly brought them around.
    My mom used to give me "why you have to carry that thing all the time", I told her, I paid almost a 1000 bucks for gear and license, and it will not sit in a drawer or glove box. I deal with bad people on a daily basis (probation and parole officer) and have sent lots of them to prison, leaving me open to retribution at any time. Given my chosen profession, I am also more apt to notice a bad or dangerous situation before the regular joe, and given my personality, I will be more likely to intervene to protect the life of another or myself. I carry VERY concealed, and nobody is aware of its presence, therefore it is just like the spare tire on my truck, the redundant security of it all is always there regardless of whether I ever need it or not. She doesnt bother me anymore. Dad wnats his CCP, just hasnt taken time to apply and get it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I CC all the time and family gatherings and church are no different.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Probably 90% of the people on DC were carrying this Thanksgiving. :) Me included!

It was a pretty laid-back affair this year at my grandma's house. Grandma knows I carry and doesn't care one way or another; it was her husband (my childhood idol) who gave me my first rifle as a young boy.

As was posted above, crazy happens everywhere and without warning.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Probably 90% of the people on DC were carrying this Thanksgiving. :) Me included!
    In my case it wasn't necessary. The "perp" in question was already dead.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Was Thanksgiving any different that any other day of the year?

Some of my family don't know that I carry and I only see them once or twice a year.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Not for me. i was Open Carrying just like any other day of the week.

I carry every day. When I'm at home it's usually OC. When I first started carrying my family didn't notice. Then my younger bro came up to me one day and mentioned it. My older bro probably doesn't know since I haven't seen him in years. Since then NO ONE has said anything except my mom once.

She commented that she doesn't even notice anymore if I'm visibly armed or not. Said it's just such a part of me and my apparel that there's nothing unusual to "see."

Which to my mind is total acceptance and trust about my carrying a deadly weapon in her house.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Dinner was earlier, and there was more food.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links