i need help on the rules of arizona oc

This is a discussion on i need help on the rules of arizona oc within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i know arizona is a OC but i dont know if you have to be 21 to carry a handgun i was told only 18 ...

Thread: i need help on the rules of arizona oc

i need help on the rules of arizona oc

i know arizona is a OC but i dont know if you have to be 21 to carry a handgun i was told only 18 to carry but you have to be 21 to buy. can any one help me out here im 20 years old and dont know if i can carry my handgun out, does anyone know?

2. Remove Ads

Welcome
    check out opencarry.org

It should have the info you want.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    IANAL. The laws of Arizona for misconduct involving a firearm may be found under ARS 13-3102.

13-3102 - Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

There is nothing in AZ law that restricts a person 18 or over from owning or openly carrying a firearm as long as the place they are carrying is legal. They cannot buy a handgun from a FFL because of federal law prohibiting a FFL from selling handguns or handgun ammunition to someone under 21. They can buy from a private party though.

That said, understand that you might have a lot of sideways looks and some law enforcement attention depending on where you go and what you do. Be safe and if you decide to carry I would strongly suggest getting some training. Shooter's World at 28th Ave and Indian School offers some very good defensive handgunning courses.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

That's what parents are for.

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    IANAL. The laws of Arizona for misconduct involving a firearm may be found under ARS 13-3102.

13-3102 - Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

There is nothing in AZ law that restricts a person 18 or over from owning or openly carrying a firearm as long as the place they are carrying is legal. They cannot buy a handgun from a FFL because of federal law prohibiting a FFL from selling handguns or handgun ammunition to someone under 21. They can buy from a private party though.

That said, understand that you might have a lot of sideways looks and some law enforcement attention depending on where you go and what you do. Be safe and if you decide to carry I would strongly suggest getting some training. Shooter's World at 28th Ave and Indian School offers some very good defensive handgunning courses.
    An 18 year old was hired to be a cop in Florida, his Mommy had to buy his gun and ammo for 3 years.

Open carry in Arizona is common enough that nobody notices as long as you're behaving yourself.

Get training and pick your friends/company carefully [just like Mommy said.]
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Open carry in Arizona is common enough that nobody notices as long as you're behaving yourself.

Get training and pick your friends/company carefully [just like Mommy said.]
    Just adding to that - dress like a gang-banger while carrying, expect to be hassled. Dress like a working professional, the number of unexpected conversations with LEOs drops dramatically.

Realistically, more than 99% or unarmed people won't see your openly-carried gun because they don't expect you to be carrying one. If you look and act like you belong where you are, the chances of "man with a gun" calls are near zero out here.

Pay attention to where you are and how you act. Most of the major malls (all Westcor malls, for example - Chandler, Scottsdale, Casa Grande) are posted against carrying weapons. I wouldn't carry openly in a lot of areas in Scottsdale or other areas notoriously full of snowbirds at this time of year. Also, I understand Tucson (Arizona's bastion of liberals) is allegedly not fond of open carry, and Tombstone is still posted, just like back when Wyatt Earp was marshall. Wal-Marts in Mesa - no problem.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

thanks

thanks that site you gave me had the answer on it right on the first page for the frist time in 3 months i carried my glock out.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Just adding to that - dress like a gang-banger while carrying, expect to be hassled. Dress like a working professional, the number of unexpected conversations with LEOs drops dramatically.

Realistically, more than 99% or unarmed people won't see your openly-carried gun because they don't expect you to be carrying one. If you look and act like you belong where you are, the chances of "man with a gun" calls are near zero out here.

Pay attention to where you are and how you act. Most of the major malls (all Westcor malls, for example - Chandler, Scottsdale, Casa Grande) are posted against carrying weapons. I wouldn't carry openly in a lot of areas in Scottsdale or other areas notoriously full of snowbirds at this time of year. Also, I understand Tucson (Arizona's bastion of liberals) is allegedly not fond of open carry, and Tombstone is still posted, just like back when Wyatt Earp was marshall. Wal-Marts in Mesa - no problem.
    Yews, dress was a major reason to get CCW in AZ. The business men and women objected to the look of the gun belt over their Brooks Brother's suits.
    It wasn't unusual to see an empty holster in the secure areas of Sky Harbor [before 9/11, haven't been there in a while, last time was before AZ had CCW]. The airport had gun lockers for passenger drop-off and farewell.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Arizona is a great place for open carry. The law reads ..you may open carry firearms, loaded or unloaded, throughout the state of Arizona. If you carry a gun on yourself and you don't have a concealed-weapon permit, it must be at least partially visible or in a belt holster which is at least partially visible.

Links