Utah - Open carry ?????

Utah - Open carry ?????

This is a discussion on Utah - Open carry ????? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Folks, I live in Colorado but frequently visit (play in my jeep) in Utah. I have a Colorado permit and a non-resident Utah permit. ...

Utah - Open carry ?????

Hi Folks,

I live in Colorado but frequently visit (play in my jeep) in Utah. I have a Colorado permit and a non-resident Utah permit.

I understand that a person without a permit can "open carry" in Utah if they carry such that firing is two actions away...... for example having a full mag in a pistol but NOT a round in the chamber.

I also understand that a person who can legally conceal carry in Utah can "open carry" with a round in the chamber. So tell me fellow gunnies am I correct?

Also do cities/towns/muncipalities in Utah have the right to forbide open carry?

Thanks.......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

That is correct. I'm not sure on any local governments forbidding open carry tho.

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    Hi Folks,

I live in Colorado but frequently visit (play in my jeep) in Utah. I have a Colorado permit and a non-resident Utah permit.

I understand that a person without a permit can "open carry" in Utah if they carry such that firing is two actions away...... for example having a full mag in a pistol but NOT a round in the chamber.

I also understand that a person who can legally conceal carry in Utah can "open carry" with a round in the chamber. So tell me fellow gunnies am I correct?

Also do cities/towns/muncipalities in Utah have the right to forbide open carry?

Thanks.......
    On your first two points you are correct To the third, no local laws can trump Utah State law's.

So come on over, and crawl your heart out.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I wish Texas had open carry law, and better knife laws.

You can not carry a Bowie knife in Texas.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    On your first two points you are correct To the third, no local laws can trump Utah State law's.

So come on over, and crawl your heart out.
    Thanks rhino...... I'm just waiting for a little snow to melt around Moab....

Also, waiting to if we can ccw in national parks come February.. Lots of national parks around Moab........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Correct. And even more useful info...

Without valid permit for the state of Utah, Open carry is legal only if handgun is 2 actions from firing, AND no round directly under the firing pin. With a valid for Utah permit, you may open OR conceal a fully loaded handgun.

Also, Utah now allows a FULLY LOADED (meaning in the chamber, ready to fire at the pull of the trigger) handgun in a vehicle WITHOUT a permit.

Definition of 2 actions from firing:

This means that a double action revolver must have 2 Empty chambers, the one directly under the firing pin and the next one because you have to be able to pull the trigger 2 times (2 actions) before it fires. A single action revolver need only have 1 chamber empty, the one directly under the firing pin while the gun is at rest. Thus the 2 actions would be 1. cock hammer 2. pull trigger.

This also means that any semi auto handgun can have a loaded magazine, but not one in the chamber, ie 1911 models that are technically 2 actions from firing if the hammer is not cocked still cannot have a round in the chamber, thus forcing the 2 actions to be 1. rack the slide 2. pull the trigger.
    ~Coriantan~

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away." * "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

A question to Rhino... my CC instructor told our class that Utah honors Colorados CC permits, is this true? or is it the 2 action rule?

Arffdog, Utah honors all states Res and non Resident permits. It's best to call the agency that issues you're permit and ask them. Here's a excellent LINK for all the state's CCW law's.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

You CAN carry in a national park too with a permit too I beleive. So no worries about arches in Moab and others.

Edit: I just double checked handgunlaw.us and according to the website toucan carry into state parks and state and national forests but not a national park yet. I was talking to a coworker and he said he thinks that the law that will allow you to carry into a national park goes into effect in February.
    Last edited by quincy07; December 19th, 2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by quincy07 View Post
    You CAN carry in a national park too with a permit too I beleive. So no worries about arches in Moab and others.

Edit: I just double checked handgunlaw.us and according to the website toucan carry into state parks and state and national forests but not a national park yet. I was talking to a coworker and he said he thinks that the law that will allow you to carry into a national park goes into effect in February.
    For a brief period of time (toward the end of Dubya's second term) you could ccw in a national park. Then when the Obama administration took over they took that right away. The currently plans are to allow (once again) ccw in February 2010. We shall see......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

National Park Carry

Starting February 22nd, 2010 (George Washington's Birthday) you can conceal carry in the National Parks if you have a CC Permit. I believe that it is governed by the state the National Park resides in, so that state needs to recognize your states permit. I believe it is restricted to concealed carry, I am not sure if you can open carry. I know the great state of Wyoming has a constitution that protects true open carry. I frequent Yellowstone each year, but I don't think I could open carry in the Park, just CC.

I plan on making myself clear on the law before I go to the park this june and september.

Quote Originally Posted by pthirschi View Post
    Starting February 22nd, 2010 (George Washington's Birthday) you can conceal carry in the National Parks if you have a CC Permit. I believe that it is governed by the state the National Park resides in, so that state needs to recognize your states permit. I believe it is restricted to concealed carry, I am not sure if you can open carry. I know the great state of Wyoming has a constitution that protects true open carry. I frequent Yellowstone each year, but I don't think I could open carry in the Park, just CC.

I plan on making myself clear on the law before I go to the park this june and september.
    And you should have made yourself clear on the law before posting incorrect information as well

Actually, sorry, you posted correct information : you BELIEVE it is restricted to concealed carry. I am sure that is a true statement. However, the law is not restrictive to concealed carry and open carry will be allowed in National Parks according to state law.

I STILL do not understand all the hooplah over the new law. Just erase the National Park boundary off the map. If you can do it outside the National Park in a state, you can do it inside a National Park in that state.

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    I live in Colorado but frequently visit (play in my jeep) in Utah.
    Moab...Jeep heaven

What do ya got for a Jeep?
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Links