Can you OC in Illinois, what are their gun laws? WI peeps too.

This is a discussion on Can you OC in Illinois, what are their gun laws? WI peeps too. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm heading to WI next month and passing through the land of Lincoln, Illinois. I've learned that WI allows OC to residents and non-residents w/o ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you OC in Illinois, what are their gun laws? WI peeps too.

I'm heading to WI next month and passing through the land of Lincoln, Illinois. I've learned that WI allows OC to residents and non-residents w/o a permit so my gun is welcomed in that state as long as I OC. Correct? I also know I have to seperate the gun and ammo, both can be together though, when transporting. What's Illinois like? I know you can't CC in Illinois and guns are banned in Chicago, but what about other areas of Illinois? I'm guessing OC is prohibited and my gun in not welcome? Correct? If I'm right then I'll probably have to follow the Federal Transportation Laws when going through Illinois? Thanks.

I live in Illinois and you can carry openly only if you want to be arrested and no longer have a clean criminial record. Now according to the Highway patrol website you can carry your weapon inside a locked case unloaded and you can carry the rounds with the gun. I would however not let the officer know you have a weapon in your vechicle or at least put it in your luggage.

I lived in the suburbs of Chicago from 2003-2008.
    Because of a job.
    I got out of there as soon as I could,
    I hated it there !!!
    The gun laws are BAD there. Mayor Daley practically runs the whole state of corruption.
    Get caught with a gun in certain cities and kiss your 4th point of contact bye bye.
    Wisconsin is not any better.
    Handguns must be unloaded in a case, with ammo in a separate place.
    If you live there, then you have to have a "firearms owners identification card".
    Just to be allowed to own,handle,shoot,buy ammo,touch ammo or gun in a store, and certain cities like Chicago don't let you have one in your own house. In Wisconsin you are not allowed to have a loaded gun in a car that has the engine running.
    Concealed weapons permits don't exist in Illinois unless your a cop.
    Avoid the state if you can.
    It is the most corrupt state I have ever been in.
    They rip you off on everything there, taxes, property tax, licenses, toll ways.
    I will never ever go back to that state.

spf159753- 'nuff said!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by spf159753 View Post
    ...OR a member of the Chicago City Council.

For people who don't understand what that means, imagine NYC having a law that you can't carry concealed unless you're a cop or a "made" member of the Gambino crime "family".

For an interesting statistical exercise, look up and compare the percentage of Ohio CHL holders who have gone to prison versus the percentage of Chicago City Council members.

It's the equivalent of John Gotti being a reserve policeman.

When driving from Oklahoma to Pennsylvania on vacation I will often drive a lot of extra miles just to avoid driving through Illinois because of their gun laws.

If I do drive through Illinois I don't stop for food, gas or lodging in that state. I don't even stop for a rest room break if I can avoid it!
    Last edited by CEW58; December 19th, 2009 at 01:34 PM.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Here's a link to WI statutes and case laws:
    Wisconsin State Statutes and Caselaw - Wisconsin - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

You can read other posts on the WI page at OpenCarry.org and find lots of information.

Here's the main things you need to know:

Cannot carry within 1000' of a school zone.
    Cannot carry in a vehicle. Weapon must be unloaded and encased and placed out of reach in the vehicle.
    Cannot carry in a government building.
    Cannot carry in state parks or fish hatcheries.
    Cannot carry a handgun in any place that serves alcohol for consumption (including restaurants that serve).

When getting out of a vehicle and holstering up, make sure you take your case completely out of the vehicle, and don't set it on top of the vehicle. Then go ahead and pull it out and holster/load up.

Expect to get looks, maybe some questions. If asked to leave a store by a manager or employee, go ahead and leave. Rarely police may be called to respond to a "man with a gun" call. But lots of people in WI carry daily and never have any problems.

Here's a link to a pamphlet you can carry with you. Might help if you have to explain anything to people.
    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/attachment.php?id=9138
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Ugh, I have family in Illinois (Dad) and Wisonsin (Cousin) that I would like to visit more but can't carry in IL and Wisconsin sounds like a huge hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by aikidoka View Post
    Ugh, I have family in Illinois (Dad) and Wisonsin (Cousin) that I would like to visit more but can't carry in IL and Wisconsin sounds like a huge hassle.
    Until about 6 months ago I had a sister in Illinois, an some long-ime childhood friends. The mother-in-law is still kicking too.

But possession in Illinois of a firearm OR just ammunition is restricted. Illinois residents MUST have an FOID to buy, possess either or both arms and ammunition. There are some exceptions for hunters and competitive shooters. There is also an exception for a person licensed by a state [it may be that it must be their state of residence] to possess a loaded firearm in their dwelling.
    But Illinois requires everybody to transport firearms unloaded and cased.
    The criminals carry and kill on a daily schedule, I'm sure they look for NRA or other bumper stickers when picking a car to smash and grab. Have some sort of bolted in steel box, not because the law requires it, but because you want your gun to still be in the vehicle when you come back from lunch.

This is bolted with a 3/8" J bolt to the seat mount. It will stop a guy with a brick, a determined thief will take the car.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

VIP Member
    Because of a job.
    I hated it there !!!
    The gun laws are BAD there. Mayor Daley practically runs the whole state of corruption.
    Get caught with a gun in certain cities and kiss your 4th point of contact bye bye.
    If you live there, then you have to have a "firearms owners identification card".
    Just to be allowed to own,handle,shoot,buy ammo,touch ammo or gun in a store, and certain cities like Chicago don't let you have one in your own house. In Wisconsin you are not allowed to have a loaded gun in a car that has the engine running.
    I see this on here quite often. You DO NOT have to have the gun and ammo seperate. If traveling, the gun has to be in some kind of closed case, unloaded, but the ammo can be in the same case. As a matter of fact, the mag can be loaded.... I hate Illinois and unfortunatley have to go there often...
    Prepare for the worst and hope it never happens

Im allways sure to put on my depends,like the lady from NASA did, soI wont have to stop while im passing through that commy state...Id rather Chit myself than deal with all their stupid gun laws while passing through,on my way out west to Utah.

Apparntly it is not to hard to CC in IL. Get into politics or join a gang.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    I'm heading to WI next month and passing through the land of Lincoln, Illinois. I've learned that WI allows OC to residents and non-residents w/o a permit so my gun is welcomed in that state as long as I OC. Correct? I also know I have to seperate the gun and ammo, both can be together though, when transporting. What's Illinois like? I know you can't CC in Illinois and guns are banned in Chicago, but what about other areas of Illinois? I'm guessing OC is prohibited and my gun in not welcome? Correct? If I'm right then I'll probably have to follow the Federal Transportation Laws when going through Illinois? Thanks.
    WI has OC but no CC and as pointed out there are restrictions on where you can OC.

IL has no OC or CC. Handguns are banned in Chicago. For residents, rifles and shotguns are not banned as long as they are registered and not an "assault weapon" as defined by the Cook County AWB which Chicago adheres to. The whole registration process of a shotgun or rifle is tricky even for residents. Example.

Transportation laws in IL are not as bad as some think, now. No, you cannot CC or OC the firearm(loaded or not) in a vehicle. It must be unloaded and enclosed in a case(if the case has zippers or latches they must be fully zipped or latched) but does not have to be out of reach. About a month ago the People v. Diggins case confirmed that the center console & glove box are perfectly acceptable places for your unloaded firearm to be transported. If the latch on your center console or glove box is busted, DO NOT use it to transport your firearm. Ammunition transportation is NOT regulated(if you are an IL resident you must have a FOID card, but non residents do not, makes sense right?). You can have a loaded magazine taped to your forehead and it is perfectly legal. You may also keep said loaded magazine in the glove box or center console along with your unloaded firearm, but the loaded magazine CANNOT be in the gun. I know some states consider a shotgun with rounds in the tube but no round in the chamber to be unloaded, but here in IL a handgun with a loaded magazine in it but no round in the chamber is considered a loaded firearm and will land you in a world of hurt.

IL residents(outside Chicago) may legally CC or OC on their own property.

House Bill 182, which was signed into law a couple months ago and is now a public act, allows people in IL to CC or OC on property where you are a guest and have been given permission to do so by the landowner\resident. Permission does not have to be given prior to an incident happening as well. Say, for example, you are house sitting for someone. You decide to bring your firearm along and you CC or OC on their property while they are gone without asking first. Someone attempts a home invasion and you shoot them. Once the police speak to your friend the home owner all he has to say is that you are allowed to carry in their house and then you are fine and should not be hassled. I personally would recommend getting permission ahead of time.

Good Luck!

Because of a job.
    I hated it there !!!
    You summed up IL very well. When I have to go through IL on my yearly CO to FL trips I go through the southern most tip. I don't remember the exact distance I spend on IL soil....... but it's something less than one mile as I remember. In my opinion all the bad laws are generated out of Chicago. I feel for my IL gunnie friends......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links