Painless encounter

Painless encounter

This is a discussion on Painless encounter within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night, I just finished dropping my friends husband off at work during a snow storm and his wife and I decided to wait for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Painless encounter

Last night, I just finished dropping my friends husband off at work during a snow storm and his wife and I decided to wait for the roads to clear a bit before heading back, so I stopped at dunkin doughnuts on Route 611 in Mount Pocono. Sitting there drinking my coffee a Pocono Mountain regional Officer (Local officer) came in for coffee and made small talk with the cashier, got his coffee and as he was walking out he noticed my S&W on my right hip half concealed by my jacket (I half ass CC and do more OC now then I did before). He asked if that was indeed a firearm he saw, I said yes and he asked for my LTC as it WAS half concealed and if I would mind him taking it for his safety and just running my LTCF info. I obliged, letting him know that there is one in the chamber etc and it was over and done with in less than 5 minutes and I even got a compliment on my lowly sigma .40 and SERPA II holster I should also add that when he handed everything back to me, only the mag and the chambered round was removed. He asked me to wait until he left to reload as a safety issue, I cant really say I blame him in light of the washington state incident not so long ago. He left shortly after wards, only after we talked for a few minutes about of all things, why MORE PEOPLE should carry and that he wishes all his encounters went so smoothly!

All in all a good encounter and kudos to PMRPD for being professional and courteous, not DEMANDING but rather asking in a normal tone of voice. Just thought I would share with you all.

~Steve
    Last edited by SteveinNEPA; December 20th, 2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: My grammer is bad at 630 am
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    Last night, I just finished dropping my friends husband off at work during a snow storm and his wife and I decided to wait for the roads to clear a bit before heading back, so I stopped at dunkin doughnuts on Route 611 in Mount Pocono. Sitting there drinking my coffee a Pocono Mountain regional Officer (Local officer) came in for coffee and made small talk with the cashier, got his coffee and as he was walking out he noticed my S&W on my right hip half concealed by my jacket (I half ass CC and do more OC now then I did before). He asked if that was indeed a firearm he saw, I said yes and he asked for my LTC as it WAS half concealed and if I would mind him taking it for his safety and just running my LTCF info. I obliged, letting him know that there is one in the chamber etc and it was over and done with in less than 5 minutes and I even got a compliment on my lowly sigma .40 and SERPA II holster I should also add that when he handed everything back to me, only the mag and the chambered round was removed. He asked me to wait until he left to reload as a safety issue, I cant really say I blame him in light of the washington state incident not so long ago. He left shortly after wards, only after we talked for a few minutes about of all things, why MORE PEOPLE should carry and that he wishes all his encounters went so smoothly!

All in all a good encounter and kudos to PMRPD for being professional and courteous, not DEMANDING but rather asking in a normal tone of voice. Just thought I would share with you all.

~Steve
    In my opinion, he should have left you alone. Just a waste of time and annoying.

Criminals have rarely ever used holsters, and most keep them fully concealed in their crotch or center of their back.

If I was the officer, I would have just said hello and left.

And for him to hold onto your firearm is nonsense. "Officer safety" BS. It's a control thing.

I like hearing stories about reasonable and professional LEO's. In a perfect world, they'd all be like the one you met.

Swat, while I agree in a way he should have just left it alone, its was still a good encounter. As for him taking it, I could have said no as it IS my right and covered under the uniform firearms act. Thing is he ASKED and not demanded. Had he demanded, I would have pulled the MPOETC papers out of my pocket and said, No sir, I do NOT have to give you my firearm *this that and the other thing*. However he was professional and courteous so I returned the same to him.

~Steve
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    ...He asked if that was indeed a firearm he saw, I said yes and he asked for my LTC as it WAS half concealed and if I would mind him taking it for his safety and just running my LTCF info. I obliged, letting him know that there is one in the chamber etc and it was over and done with in less than 5 minutes and I even got a compliment on my lowly sigma .40 and SERPA II holster I should also add that when he handed everything back to me, only the mag and the chambered round was removed. He asked me to wait until he left to reload as a safety issue...

~Steve
    IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

True, I call BS as well. But on the lighter side, could have been worse.

~Steve

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    IMHO
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    what he said.

VIP Member
    Good encounter but could have left it alone. DD across from Wendys, I stop there at times for coffee if I am in the area. Perkins is down around the corner by Walmart I seen a guy open carry a revolver one night about six months ago.

i said it once, and i'll say it again: this was NOT a good encounter. if you get raped by someone who says please first, then offers you a ride home when they're done, it's still rape. stop saying it wasn't that bad; it was.

That was NOT a good encounter, taking the side arm and unloading it!!!

This is a good encounter....

I was OCing in a truck stop when a group of Highway Patrol Troopers came in and sat at a table to my rear right. When I went to leave one of them leaned back in his chair and said "Excuse me; what exactly is that you are carrying?"

I explained it was a Para-Ordnance P-14, basically a 1911 with the grip modified to take a double stack mag giving it a 14 round capacity.

He said "I thought it was a 1911 but the magazine didn't look right.....14 round 1911; SWEET!!

Now THAT is a good encounter; I am afraid I will loose my temper and develop an attitude if ever confronted with the "Remove and unload for my safety crap". Given the piss poor firearms knowledge of the average cop I doubt the majority are competent to handle a single action 1911.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Disarming you and unloading your weapon is UN-NECESSARY after you have handed him your credentials!!!
    Proud NRA member

I have a few cop friends and most are young. They think they are all that and are so cocky it makes you want to vomit watching them walk.

I know for myself i was harassed because i drove a old junkie van I drove to work working midnights. It was New Years Eve and the only sober driver on the road and yes, once again i was pulled over! I bought another vehicle and never had the trouble again...! I was late for work all the time over it. LOL It sorta burned my as* because i have had more background checks than these rent a cops pulling me over and they have the balls to get mouthy with me because I am poor? Pfft. (rant over) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Disarming you and unloading your weapon is UN-NECESSARY after you have handed him your credentials!!!
    Exactily and opens up the possibility of an accidental discharge inside the business while the officer is messing with the gun or as your are attempting to reload and reholster. A holstered gun is a safe gun and it should stay in the holster unless being drawn just prior to being fired.

I live in Ohio and I have had two stops and maybe 6 encounters with LEOs. I have never been disarmed!

I believe that the law states that the LEO may disarm me for his safety during the encounter and I disagree with this.

I believe that I am more familiar with my weapon and weapons in general than most LEOs.

I will say that while all of my encounters have been curtious and professional most of the LEOs have a BIG chip on their shoulders.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    In my opinion, he should have left you alone. Just a waste of time and annoying.

Criminals have rarely ever used holsters, and most keep them fully concealed in their crotch or center of their back.

If I was the officer, I would have just said hello and left.

And for him to hold onto your firearm is nonsense. "Officer safety" BS. It's a control thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post

Have you ever seen a fraudulent Driver License? Do you believe they exist? I have not yet seen a fraudulent CFP, but I know officers who have. There are good reasons to disarm people. I don't do it on a regular basis, but it has happened.

A CFP is not a free pass.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links