Traveling to GA.....open carry?

This is a discussion on Traveling to GA.....open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be traveling to GA next week to visit family for Christmas. I am a Florida resident and hold a Florida Concealed Weapons Permit. ...

Thread: Traveling to GA.....open carry?

Traveling to GA.....open carry?

I will be traveling to GA next week to visit family for Christmas. I am a Florida resident and hold a Florida Concealed Weapons Permit. I have tried to find definite answers on weather I can open carry in Georgia from several websites, but am confused. With my residency, and permit can I open carry in GA? And are there any restrictions regarding carrying into the great GA Aquarium in Atlanta? We are planning to go there for a day, I have wanted to go there for a long time.

Thanks!!
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org Is a good place to check.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

jwr
    You should be ok. According to handgunlaw.us Georgia does honor the Florida license. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf I'm not sure about the policy at the aquarium, but technically should be legal there unless they ask you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org Is a good place to check.
    +1 !

You can open carry but familiarize yourself with Ga.'s laws.....there are more than a few differinces. Enjoy your visit and Merry Christmas!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

atlanta is not the place i would open carry. no reason to bring notice to yourself. it best to conceal your gun in atlanta, you will have less problems.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

The aquarium does not anyone to bring in handguns. One of my friends, a deputy, visited and had to leave his sidearm at a nearby hotel. Evidently it is fairly common for LEO's to have to check their weapons there.

Open Carry??

I have a CCW for GA, live in GA. If I was a BG and saw someone in the Stop and Rob doing Open Carry in a state that does both, I would shoot you first then rob the store. There is no need to do Open Carry when you have a CCW permit anywhere. It is much safer to do the CCW. Yes, there are some places that have their Screening Machines in operation. I only CCW all over Atlanta and on MARTA whose safety patrol officers do not like it! You will get hasseled if they see you with a gun or suspect you may be carrying, don't let the gun print you.....
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

GA Carry at the Aquarium

You will be screened at the GA Aquarium. Hand wand or walk-thru.
    No guns, no exceptions. I don't like it but go thru the members entrance since I have a yearly membership. I also carry two 1.5oz hand sanitizers, one in each jacket pocket in case I run into a BG. How do you think it would feel to have a geletin of 45% alcohol squirted into your eyes if told to empty your pockets. That goes thru any metal detector including TSA. HMMM, maybe a way to have protection beyond the so called protection areas with legally carried items. The hand sanitizers have a small opening and click open the top and put a full squeeze on the bottle and you can spray anyone out to about 10 feet away. Get it on their hands, rub eyes, lotta problems for them.....
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

Ya know, I dislike having to disarm at anyplace or time but I can kinda understand them not wanting ANY bullets flying around tanks with that much water...............LEO's, BG's, or otherwise.

Back on topic: The biggest "catch" in Ga.'s gun laws is the public gathering law. Best to keep it concealed with-in the law.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Since GA recognizes your FLA permit you can CC with out a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have a CCW for GA, live in GA.
    Good for you.
    If I was a BG and saw someone in the Stop and Rob doing Open Carry in a state that does both, I would shoot you first then rob the store.
    Wow. That's pretty bad. Jump straight from armed robbery to premeditated murder.
    There is no need to do Open Carry when you have a CCW permit anywhere.
    There are plenty of reasons.
    It is much safer to do the CCW.
    Not always.
    Yes, there are some places that have their Screening Machines in operation. I only CCW all over Atlanta and on MARTA whose safety patrol officers do not like it! You will get hasseled if they see you with a gun or suspect you may be carrying, don't let the gun print you.....
    They don't have to like it. If it's legal they have nothing to say about it. They have no right to hassel you for not breaking the law. Only for breaking it.
    Look, here's the thing. It's obvious from your posts that you are ant-OC. That's your choice but don't come onto a Open Cary forum and troll the threads. It's rude and you are not doing anything except annoying those of us who choose this as our carry method.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I find it funny that GA doesn't allow OH CHL holders to carry at all... I guess they have a beef with OH or something...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    atlanta is not the place i would open carry. no reason to bring notice to yourself. it best to conceal your gun in atlanta, you will have less problems.

ive OCed in Atlanta....i just recently OCed in Philadelphia no problems....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I have a CCW for GA, live in GA. If I was a BG and saw someone in the Stop and Rob doing Open Carry in a state that does both, I would shoot you first then rob the store.
    Which would make you the most ignorant criminal alive when there is a stop and rob down the street that you could go to without a visible gun present, or you could just wait five minutes for the gun to leave the store. Why in the hell would a criminal move from armed robbery to murder to get a few bucks, when 100 yards down the road, or five minutes later there is going to be the exact same target without a visible gun?

That's about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. In fact so dumb that you can't show us more than one or two instances per decade of that actually happening.

HKR
    OP:
    Yes you can OC in Georgia.
    No guns or knives allowed in the Aquarium.

I don't understand why some people still don't understand that if they don't OC or don't like OC then they can simply....wait for it...........not post in the OC Forum.

Links