Confronted at Walmart

Confronted at Walmart

This is a discussion on Confronted at Walmart within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i'm going to cross post this here for everyones enjoyment. I have already sent an email to corporate. We'll see what happens. It's on OCDO ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confronted at Walmart

Confronted at Walmart

i'm going to cross post this here for everyones enjoyment. I have already sent an email to corporate. We'll see what happens. It's on OCDO too.

I was confronted about OC'ing my G19 tonight as I left Walmart in Granite Falls, NC. The guy looked to be a CSM, manager type. He spoke to me as I was leaving, however he missed me when I walked right by him coming in. I am positive this guy told me you could not carry any weapon in WM. His reasoning was because one of the employees could not. And he said they asked the District Manager. I politely told him that Walmart Corp policy was to follow the laws of the state it was in and that the guy could not carry because he was an employee. I told him I could not carry where I work either.

At this point the guy blew me off to help another customer with a return. He did not ask me to leave, and did not ask me not to come back. He stated that he would not have let me enter if he had seen the weapon. Of course he asked if I was LEO first. Unfortunately his name badge was turned around and he left me with a "have a good night." So I walked out and will pursue this with the District folks. I know a couple of folks who work there so I may be able to track down a name. I have a good description that I will use in any email I can get out tonight. Here we go.

First negative managerial encounter. Any experience with this at other WM's? BTW, my wife is ready to boycott them! At least she's more onboard with OC than I expected. She was cranky tonight too so that probably helped.

I had a similiar experience at a Wal Mart store here in Las Vegas. Long story short, I was confronted by an employee in the Electronics department as I walked to the Sporting Goods department. He asked if I was a LEO. I advised him I was a security officer enroute to work. The WM associate advised me that only LEO's are the only people permitted to OC in that WM store. I told the WM associate that I was going to the sporting goods department and would leave the WM store. The WM associate accepted this since I was leaving the store within 5-10 minutes. I asked the WM associate his name & title as I proceeded to the sporting goods department.

When I returned home I started researching the name of the regional manager of the store I was confronted with about OC'ing. Long story short, it took several days, 4-5 phone calls to a few local WM stores & "voila" I had the name & contact number of the person in charge of the majority of the WM stores on the west side of Las Vegas.

I called her and she sent me a reply email verifying that the WM's follow all applicable state laws with regard to OC of firearms. As long as you are legally following Nevada state law open carry IS legal in WM stores.

I saved the email messages & store the telephone number of the Market Asset Protection Manager in my cell phone if I encounter another problem at one of the WM stores. If I have any additional problems with a WM employee, the MAPM is only a cell phone call away. What you need to do is call and ask to speak to the "Market Asset Protection Manager". This is the person who should be able to respond to your OC issues at your local WM store. The MAPM I spoke with manages approximately 4-5 WM stores on the west side of Las Vegas.

I hope that this information helps you locate the appropriate person at the WM store where you confronted with OC issues.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I notice you are in Hickory, NC. I'm from Newton and the wife from Conover, so we go back home all of the time. I have OC in the Conover Wal-Mart on Hwy 16 North plenty of times with no incident. Employees saw me carrying (I got some looks) but no one has said anything. I'm heading that way Christmas day for about a week...I'll give it a try as I'll be in Hickory a bunch and let you know if they say anything to me. Perhaps we should get some folks together and have an OC shopping spree in Wal Mart and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    i'm going to cross post this here for everyones enjoyment. I have already sent an email to corporate. We'll see what happens. It's on OCDO too.

I was confronted about OC'ing my G19 tonight as I left Walmart in Granite Falls, NC. The guy looked to be a CSM, manager type. He spoke to me as I was leaving, however he missed me when I walked right by him coming in. I am positive this guy told me you could not carry any weapon in WM. His reasoning was because one of the employees could not. And he said they asked the District Manager. I politely told him that Walmart Corp policy was to follow the laws of the state it was in and that the guy could not carry because he was an employee. I told him I could not carry where I work either.

At this point the guy blew me off to help another customer with a return. He did not ask me to leave, and did not ask me not to come back. He stated that he would not have let me enter if he had seen the weapon. Of course he asked if I was LEO first. Unfortunately his name badge was turned around and he left me with a "have a good night." So I walked out and will pursue this with the District folks. I know a couple of folks who work there so I may be able to track down a name. I have a good description that I will use in any email I can get out tonight. Here we go.

First negative managerial encounter. Any experience with this at other WM's? BTW, my wife is ready to boycott them! At least she's more onboard with OC than I expected. She was cranky tonight too so that probably helped.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Certainly some WM employees can get a bee in their bonnet and they are certainly in the wrong on WM policy. Remember, though, that kindness wins more friends than aggression. So if you call the MAPM or the GM or RM or whatever, please be kind and polite. Don't call with the attitude that you're going to show them a thing or two, but rather that you want to help them train their employees to understand corporate policy better. Better yet, talk to their supervisor before you run it that far up the flag pole!

I have found in a couple of instances that a quick, friendly discussion with a supervisor or manager on-site can usually solve the issue and keep things on the simple and civil side. Then shake hands, wish them well and carry on smartly.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Stop supporting anti-gun Wal-Mart a portion of your ammo purchases goes directly to Bloomberg's anti-gun initiative that Wal-Mart is supporting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure you save a few bucks, but why make it harder for Americans like myself who would like to keep their guns!!!!!!!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Chief,

Here is the store manager's response to my same situation at WM earlier this year...

Well gang...I missed the phone call, but received a lengthy voice mail from the Collierville Walmart store manager. He must have apologized 5-6 times for the mis-informed asst mgr that confronted me while open carrying in the store last week. He stated that Walmart's policy welcomes anyone in their stores that is legally licensed to carry a handgun open or concealed.

He said the asst mgr should have never approached me and questioned why I was wearing a handgun and was 100% wrong telling me that it was against Walmart's policy. He stated he had a meeting with the asst mgr and other associates to make sure they clearly understood the policy. He went on to state that WM does have a policy against associates arming themselves while at work and that he hoped I'll continue to shop at Walmart.
    Proud NRA member

I don't know if Wal-Mart has changed their policy since this email (which I found on another board) but this dates to 1999.
    DATE: Friday, April 16,1999 2:13 PM

Subject: RE: Firearms

Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.

The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.

We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.

Thank you,

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I have a friend who was thrown out of a Wal-Mart in Garner, NC for open carrying. Being the kind of person he is, he complained to higher levels of management and eventually got an apology and an invitation to return to Wal-Mart anytime, with or without his gun.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    WM in Denver NC is good for OC. Sorry you had a problem with the one in Granite falls. That sucks. :(
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Hit up Corp offices in Bentonville, Arkansas.

So far, Walmart has allowed whatever is legal in that state and admonished Mgrs who weren't following that policy.

Here, 'approved' employees of WM carry Concealed. There is no legal open carry where the one's are that I visit, but CC is and there are no signs and no issues.

CVHoss, that's the 3rd different answer I have seen. But the "follow state laws" seems to be the most often quoted.

Update. I got a call last night from the Manager at Granite Falls WM. She is a sorta pro gun person. She said they own guns and her husband is going to get is CCP. She seemed shocked that he inferred there were no weapons period allowed. She said several times that she would try to find a law that "allowed" OC. It took a minute to explain that she would not find one and that OC was legal because it was not illegal.

She mentioned that they had asked customers to take knives and firearms back to the car before. I politely explained that if she did that she was setting WM up to be liable if they were stolen. And from what I have read that has already happened. I did get the line that they follow state and local laws, whichever held more importance. To which I politely explained to her that if that was the case then OC is completely legal in the store. I got a lot of but this, and we don't want other customers nervous.

I also explained to her that the Hickory WM was now one of the most dangerous places to be in Hickory. And that I carried because I never know when something may happen. I explained that I have OC'd at all the local WM's and this was the first issue I have had.

She is supposed to check with the district Mgr and get back with me. I told her to look at the map here for the OC info. And to call me if she needed to find anything else about OC. Basically I wanted to let her know she could call me for more info. I also politely told her that if I could not OC, then I would shop at a store that completely respected my right to bear arms. She's off for 4 days so it will be next week before I possible hear from her. I'll update when I hear something.

And Merry Christmas all.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I gotta say that I have never had a problem at a Wal-Mart and have seen people OC there before. Maybe it's just the culture here in AZ but I've never heard of an issue.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    Stop supporting anti-gun Wal-Mart a portion of your ammo purchases goes directly to Bloomberg's anti-gun initiative that Wal-Mart is supporting!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure you save a few bucks, but why make it harder for Americans like myself who would like to keep their guns!!!!!!!!!!!
    Source for that information please? In Utah when I was living there we went throught the ring about ocing inside Walmart. We contacted the managment and asked what the policy was. We were told whatever the state laws and regs are is what walmart abides by.

I always tick them off because I'm good at spotting the "fake shoppers" there watching for shop-lifters. I tell them, don't worry about me... go watch someone that is actually likely to shoplift something & that isn't me.

After saying something like this to a couple a few times, I've been visited by the store Mgr asking me "how I spot them" and "to please quit pointing them out". I never say anything unless it's only them & I, and their behavior gives them away every time. But, then ... maybe I'm just well experienced in watching for certain things BG's do. LMAO.... or they are just that bad at it.

Interested in what answers you get, because I'm betting you will find you are OK to OC if it's legal there.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    And your proof of this accusation is??????

If WM was anti-gun, they ...

(1) wouldn't be selling firearms (many still do);
    (2) wouldn't be selling ammo;
    (3) wouldn't have the corporate policy to allow whatever carry in their stores that that their particular state allows.

just another anti-WM statement with no basis in fact.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links