NRA Stance on OC?-MERGED - Page 2

NRA Stance on OC?-MERGED

This is a discussion on NRA Stance on OC?-MERGED within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Regardless, the Brady's think they are one in the same and accused the NRA of leading the OC issue at Starbucks. Or they are using ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NRA Stance on OC?-MERGED

Regardless, the Brady's think they are one in the same and accused the NRA of leading the OC issue at Starbucks. Or they are using the NRA to discredit the OC crowd with their constituents.

I'm a member of the NRA and vocal about OC. Can't say that I have seem much mention of it from them. And it's something I pay attention to. Matter of fact, one of the armed citizen stories was a guy from OCDO and they did not mention he was OC'ing. I pay my dues to be numbered as a member and feed the 900 lb gorilla that fights for the 2A.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I don't fully understand the deal going on here.... the OC movement group and the NRA you think would be bad if combined?
    As I mentioned in a previous thread, the NRA has bigger fish to fry. OC isn't off the radar, but it is lower in priority than achieving 100% shall-issue and 100% reciprocity for CCWs among the 50 states.

Something like 42 states are now shall-issue. It's taken nearly a generation (that's 25 years) to reach that level - my point is, that didn't come easily or quickly. More progress: retired cops can carry in most states on their retired-cop ID, if they do some minimum certification and keep their noses clean. I remember writing letters about that in the early 90's! That was one critical milestone in the roadmap to achieving interstate reciprocity for non-cops... do you see that?

Don't be impatient, and for heaven's sake, get involved. Write letters... call your legislators. If you're not happy about the boat's direction, pick up an oar and start rowing!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I don't fully understand the deal going on here.... the OC movement group and the NRA you think would be bad if combined?
    Yes and / or maybe.

Your stuck thinking about the value of synergies, but synergies don't always happen just because forces are joined together. Each, at this time, is a different tool for a different job. Consider it a Sum-Of-Parts valuation.

While the NRA does have a grassroots element, it may also be the most powerful lobbying organization in the country. I believe this can both help and hinder the causes they throw their hat in. Their focus is more national in scope.

While OC, is clearly grassroots, and may appeal to that cause (most of the time it is a state by state issue) far more effectively. I believe it might be better for the OC movement not to have the anti-gun types stating that OC is some puppet of the NRA movement.

In addition (and this is just theoretical), the OC movement may not appeal to all NRA supporters (the NRA would not gain as much as they lost) & the NRA may not appeal to all in the OC movement (OC movement may not gain as much as they lost).

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Obviously the NRA is pro-gun... but what is their stance on open carry? I don't hear much about it. They quite often advocate CC, but I haven't heard a lot about OC. I OCed at the NRA convention in Kentucky 2 years ago with no problem. I would imagine they are OC friendly, but I'm not sure.
    They report on it often enough. As an organization, they have some limit to their resources, and are focused on goals of the majority of their members (they do use those surveys they send out).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Yes and / or maybe.

Your stuck thinking about the value of synergies, but synergies don't always happen just because forces are joined together. Each, at this time, is a different tool for a different job. Consider it a Sum-Of-Parts valuation.

While the NRA does have a grassroots element, it may also be the most powerful lobbying organization in the country. I believe this can both help and hinder the causes they throw their hat in. Their focus is more national in scope.

While OC, is clearly grassroots, and may appeal to that cause (most of the time it is a state by state issue) far more effectively. I believe it might be better for the OC movement not to have the anti-gun types stating that OC is some puppet of the NRA movement.

In addition (and this is just theoretical), the OC movement may not appeal to all NRA supporters (the NRA would not gain as much as they lost) & the NRA may not appeal to all in the OC movement (OC movement may not gain as much as they lost).

They report on it often enough. As an organization, they have some limit to their resources, and are focused on goals of the majority of their members (they do use those surveys they send out).

Good points on this... I do think that the NRA needs to fight their battle and the Open Carry group fight theirs... good thing I'm on both teams
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links