NRA Stance on OC?-MERGED

This is a discussion on NRA Stance on OC?-MERGED within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Obviously the NRA is pro-gun... but what is their stance on open carry? I don't hear much about it. They quite often advocate CC, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRA Stance on OC?-MERGED

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question NRA Stance on OC?-MERGED

Obviously the NRA is pro-gun... but what is their stance on open carry? I don't hear much about it. They quite often advocate CC, but I haven't heard a lot about OC.

I OCed at the NRA convention in Kentucky 2 years ago with no problem. I would imagine they are OC friendly, but I'm not sure.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not sure what their "official" stance is, but the last time I was at the NRA HQ a few years ago, I saw a bunch of people OC'ing.. I have only been there once, so not sure if it was some event or something, but I would say about 40% of the peeps there were OC'ing..

I think they are friendly towards OC. But they do not seem to advocate for it. Kind of odd. I noticed 2 reports in armed citizen where I know the individuals were OC. It was never mentioned in the article. They seem to dance around the issue. It must not be something that will further their agenda.

HKR
    Ask them. Email, call or write them a letter.

Maybe you will have better luck than I have with getting questions answered.
    They have no issue with filling my inbox and mailbox with stuff but I've been trying for over a year to get a simple question answered and the most I've gotten is "we'll have someone who can answer that call you".
    It never happens and when I didn't renew my membership they called me (and emailed and sent a letter) to question why, but even then couldn't answer my question.

Maybe you will have better luck.

...and I did renew eventually. There are too many threats to the right to carry not to support them at this point. However, hopefully one day the conditions will be enough in our favor that the NRA can be changed for the better.Less self preservation and being so quick to compromise and more fighting the good fight.
    Last edited by HKR; December 24th, 2009 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I think they are friendly towards OC. But they do not seem to advocate for it. Kind of odd. I noticed 2 reports in armed citizen where I know the individuals were OC. It was never mentioned in the article. They seem to dance around the issue. It must not be something that will further their agenda.

well you can OC in a lot of states without training, which they provide
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Good question, it would be wrong IMHO if they did not advocate any type of legal carry. And in any state that does not allow OC they should push for it to be legal. The second amendment does not state how we should or should NOT carry and the second amendment is the crutch of their existence.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I don't think the NRA has addressed open carry per se as an organizational goal, but clearly they are behind protecting our legal rights to carry. At this year's convention in Phoenix, they successfully pressed the AZ Legislature for enabling legislation which allowed their convention venue to temporarily modify liquor license rules. The issue was that liquor service in one part of the building made carrying weapons illegal in the whole building. By special legislation this rule was sidestepped, and those of us who wanted to were able to carry legally - open or concelaed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Isn't OCing inherently part of Right to Keep and Bare Arms?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Not to bash on the NRA, but I have heard and read of alot of things that were not to my liking by the NRA lately.

Maybe thats just me, but thats just what I have read about them here lately.

They are probably (from the others' experiences related on this thread) taking the stance of "One Thing At A Time".

Get everyone used to the idea that many people carry in silent, responsible secrecy, then start to introduce the idea of an openly armed, peaceful citizenry.

Just a guess.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    They are probably (from the others' experiences related on this thread) taking the stance of "One Thing At A Time".

Get everyone used to the idea that many people carry in silent, responsible secrecy, then start to introduce the idea of an openly armed, peaceful citizenry.

Just a guess.
    I think your "guess" is probably correct. They are working so hard for CC that it would dilute their efforts to take on OC at this time.

Distinguished Member
    Back during all of the OCing at tea parties, town hall meetings and Obama rallies, LaPierre mentioned that it was unwise to OC at some of them.

That's about as much as I've heard from them.

OTOH, I'm sure we know where Uncle Ted stands on the issue

Quote Originally Posted by baloo10 View Post
    I'm not sure what their "official" stance is, but the last time I was at the NRA HQ a few years ago, I saw a bunch of people OC'ing.. I have only been there once, so not sure if it was some event or something, but I would say about 40% of the peeps there were OC'ing..
    NRA HQ in Fairfax VA has a fantastic range right in their basement. 15 lanes. I OC there all the time when I get into VA from MD. You may have seen some range folks who wandered upstairs. They have NO problem with it. VA is great for OC.

N.R.A. & Open Carry

Been a few comments / posts concerning the issue. Been thinking about it for a while, and would like to point out that NRA often reports on several OC issues accross the nation.

While OC is not their pet project, they do indirectly support the movement, and there is a likely possibility neither group would gain much from assisting each other in some official manner. Might even hurt OC, an undeniably grass roots movement, if the NRA was more involved.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I don't fully understand the deal going on here.... the OC movement group and the NRA you think would be bad if combined?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links