SECOND AMENDMENT - What do you think? - Page 6

SECOND AMENDMENT - What do you think?

This is a discussion on SECOND AMENDMENT - What do you think? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess we can add another forum he's banned from......

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: SECOND AMENDMENT - What do you think?

VIP Member
    I guess we can add another forum he's banned from...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I guess we can add another forum he's banned from...
    dang.

I was wondering how long this guy was gonna last.... Guess I found out.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I don't like what he did but I support it. If we continue to cave to the sensibilties of the antis we're done.

That said, the guy is prohibited from defending himself and even though this isn't (by a mile) The Highroad I'm going to suggest we take it and not talk smack about the guy.

Anyone else sick at the mention of sheep and sheepdogs on this site? I'm so tired of it.

Anyways, I think the only harm done here was

1) People continuing to use the 'sheep' and sheepdog' titles
    2) People feeling threatened by what others might think about gun owners
    3) Disagreements about how to view the 2nd amendment

I don't remember the 2nd amendment reading as, "The right to bear arms, so long as it doesn't look bad for the rest of us."

Obviously what he did was in no way illegal. I have already stated that this guy has little to no tact... But then again, tact wasn't included in the verbiage of the 2nd amendment either..
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    This entire debate is interesting.
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    What you should realize, is that to many non-shooters and many persons not familiar with weapons, your 1911 on your hip is just as scary as his AK.
    Good point.

This guy wanted to get headlines and maybe become the hero of 2A in cyberspace; he succeeded on the first and failed on the second. Just desserts.

I'm much more interested in Mr McDonald's case. It could form a basis for removing restrictions on open carry (i.e. no permit required), creating a completely new societal norm as people begin wearing gunbelts again nationwide. That would be a welcome change, and may significantly improve the politeness among us. I don't like the idea of requiring a permit to open carry; sounds kinda dumb to me. If the states were told they have no authority to regulate bearing arms, that would be a welcome change.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Gunz View Post
    There is a HUGE difference between what you have the right to do and what you should do.

This might be the move of someone trying to interfere with our rights by being a bad example!
    THANK YOU!!!!!! Seriously, thank god I am not the only person that thinks like this. There was a thread running on another forum that I visit from time to time that is state specific. There was going to be a health care rally and some folks from the forum were trying to organzie the local gun owners to go to the rally to protest. They wanted everyone to OC their pistols and rifles.

Yeah, that makes us look FANTASTIC. I can see the news now. "Peaceful healthcare rally invaded by mob armed with assault rifles, more at 5:00!" When I stated how horrible of a idea I thought this was all of the responses were basically "Shut up commie, its our right!!". Yes, I know it is your right and never said it wasnt but just because you have the right to do it DOESNT MEAN ITS A GOOD IDEA!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I agree Rollo. IMO, there's CC, OC and then there's SC (Stupid Carry). This one lines up under the SC mode IMO, it's also my opinion that this type of press is degrading to the vast majority of the folks carrying our firearms for self defense. I think the dude is asking for trouble and for what ever reason inviting unwanted and justifiable scrutiny against our 2nd amendment rights.

Treo; If we continue to cave to the sensibilties of the antis we're done.
    With respect; This dude walking around carrying a AK pistol which in most cases would have most local LEO's out gunned, will lift some eyebrows and IMO rightly so. We don't live in a war zone. This guy has the right to carry for self defense sure, but where would a weapon of this magnitude be prudent? I for one don't want some bozo out there with the bad press this guy has already generated toting a 30+ round pistol with that kind of firepower. Just because you can carry a shotgun around doesn't mean you should. For a day in the woods sure; for a night on town

It's easy to see what he's up to. His videos clearly shows that he has memorized the laws as it pertains to what he's being detained and questioned for. How else would he know to carry a specific revolver or weapon and how it can be carried unless he has researched his ploy the letter of law regarding it. Just goofy IMO and it does more harm then good for the rest of us.

I'm all for standing up for my rights, but I'm not gonna create havoc in the process. I don't admire anyone who goes around purposefully trying to provoke the authorities into confrontations for any reason. There's a right way and a wrong way to bring attention to our opinions and sentiments. IMO, his is way wrong and could get someone killed.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    I agree Rollo. IMO, there's CC, OC and then there's SC (Stupid Carry). This one lines up under the SC mode IMO, it's also my opinion that this type of press is degrading to the vast majority of the folks carrying our firearms for self defense. I think the dude is asking for trouble and for what ever reason inviting unwanted and justifiable scrutiny against our 2nd amendment rights.

With respect; This dude walking around carrying a AK pistol which in most cases would have most local LEO's out gunned, will lift some eyebrows and IMO rightly so. We don't live in a war zone. This guy has the right to carry for self defense sure, but where would a weapon of this magnitude be prudent? I for one don't want some bozo out there with the bad press this guy has already generated toting a 30+ round pistol with that kind of firepower. Just because you can carry a shotgun around doesn't mean you should. For a day in the woods sure; for a night on town

It's easy to see what he's up to. His videos clearly shows that he has memorized the laws as it pertains to what he's being detained and questioned for. How else would he know to carry a specific revolver or weapon and how it can be carried unless he has researched his ploy the letter of law regarding it. Just goofy IMO and it does more harm then good for the rest of us.

I'm all for standing up for my rights, but I'm not gonna create havoc in the process. I don't admire anyone who goes around purposefully trying to provoke the authorities into confrontations for any reason. There's a right way and a wrong way to bring attention to our opinions and sentiments. IMO, his is way wrong and could get someone killed.

GBK

but if he wants to and its hurting anyone whats the problem???
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    but if he wants to and its hurting anyone whats the problem???
    The problem simply put is this. The media picks it up and makes gun owners look like a bunch of crazy fanatical nut jobs. If the guy wants to protect himself he would be plenty well protected with a well concealed pistol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!!! Seriously, thank god I am not the only person that thinks like this. There was a thread running on another forum that I visit from time to time that is state specific. There was going to be a health care rally and some folks from the forum were trying to organzie the local gun owners to go to the rally to protest. They wanted everyone to OC their pistols and rifles.

Yeah, that makes us look FANTASTIC. I can see the news now. "Peaceful healthcare rally invaded by mob armed with assault rifles, more at 5:00!" When I stated how horrible of a idea I thought this was all of the responses were basically "Shut up commie, its our right!!". Yes, I know it is your right and never said it wasnt but just because you have the right to do it DOESNT MEAN ITS A GOOD IDEA!
    If our gun rights as we know them are ever legislated out of existence at the will of the voting citizenry in this country it will be thanks to morons like those guys making the case for the Bradys and their ilk. You have to wonder if people like this are actually intelligent enough to be owning guns. Sad.

I'm a little bit confused.

2A indicates that we have the RIGHT to keep AND BEAR arms. This right is not to be abridged by Congress.

That being said, the founding fathers didn't specify which arms we would be allowed to keep AND BEAR. Let me remind everyone of a little bit of history; they had cannons at that time. According to 2A, it was legal at the time of the founding to keep a cannon.

We've let things go so far as this? We're concerned over whether someone has a pistol or a rifle in a state park? People call the cops because someone has a gun? The cops respond? People occasionally get arrested for BEARING ARMS?

We've come a long way since 1783.

Perhaps people would be less fearful of guns and people BEARING ARMS if they saw it more frequently. It is human nature to fear the unknow. I, for one, am tired of 'sneaking' around to exercise what is my right to begin with.

Let these fools understand that whether they like it or not, whether they are afraid or not, and whether they agree or not, we are in America, and here, we BEAR OUR ARMS proudly.

Quote Originally Posted by ExHippie View Post

2A indicates that we have the RIGHT to keep AND BEAR arms. This right is not to be abridged by Congress.

That being said, the founding fathers didn't specify which arms we would be allowed to keep AND BEAR. Let me remind everyone of a little bit of history; they had cannons at that time. According to 2A, it was legal at the time of the founding to keep a cannon.

We've let things go so far as this? We're concerned over whether someone has a pistol or a rifle in a state park? People call the cops because someone has a gun? The cops respond? People occasionally get arrested for BEARING ARMS?

Perhaps people would be less fearful of guns and people BEARING ARMS if they saw it more frequently. It is human nature to fear the unknow. I, for one, am tired of 'sneaking' around to exercise what is my right to begin with.

Let these fools understand that whether they like it or not, whether they are afraid or not, and whether they agree or not, we are in America, and here, we BEAR OUR ARMS proudly.
    Again, it's not a matter of having the right to do something, it's a matter of if it's a good idea. I'm going to lay it out. Some will think im a liberal sissy or a commie but so be it. This is the reality. There are three sides to the "gun control" issue. People that are one hundred percent pro gun (Like the majority of people here) people that are one hundred percent anti gun (like the people at brady) and then the other 80 percent of the population that really don't care.

The reality is that the 80 percent of the people that fall in the middle are the ones that have the ability to make our life extremely difficult. They don't swing to one extreme or the other which is GOOD for us HOWEVER they can be pushed one way or the other by extremes. People that carry concealed guns don't really bother those people. People with guns in their homes dont bother them. People that OC a gun make them a little nervous but not so much that they are going to take it into consideration when they vote or go join the bradys. People walking around with AK's however very possibly WILL make them nervous and that's when things start getting difficult.

in life there is the way things should be and the way they are. The way things SHOULD be is that this isn't even a debate and theres no need to even discuss it because no one gives guns a second thought. However thats not the way things ARE.

For example. The KKK has the right to park out side my house and sit in the back of a pick up truck in their cute little white hood and fly a confederate flag while being armed with rifles. I also have the right to call all of my friends and sit on my front porch with our rifles and laugh at them. Are either one of these things a good idea? Nope. Do we have the right to do it? Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ExHippie View Post

I love it but I guess they didn't get the word in California or New York. The point is that there are forces at work right now that would strip your gun rights and mine. I for one don't want them supported by the voting public. We are the good guys and we deserve to be winning in the courts of public opinion. We should not suffer fools lightly who undermine our efforts through sheer stupidity.

If we are not willing to die (and usually things don't go that far, I'm using it for the sake of illustration) to protect our rights, then we are sissies. If we can't handle a little public ridicule we are sissies. If we can't handle addressing our grievances in court, then we are sissies. If we are afraid to exercise our rights, we are sissies.

Once again, people fear the unknown. By hiding our guns from them, we are not helping them overcome irrational fear, we are feeding it.

Just so you know, Rollo, I don't think you are a sissy. You're obviously willing to protect you and yours. But if we want to get beyond our current anti-2A-culture, we're going to need to do some things differently. Hiding our guns is what created this mess in the first place.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links