Security Guard tries to take pistol from OC'er. - Page 14

Security Guard tries to take pistol from OC'er.

This is a discussion on Security Guard tries to take pistol from OC'er. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 Any word from GPDO in this event? They were quick to defend the OP in the original thread....and hang mcp out ...

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Any word from GPDO in this event? They were quick to defend the OP in the original thread....and hang mcp out to dry for questioning the validity of the story?

So what's up?
    Mathar1 doesn't need anyone to defend him against naysayers or to make others believe. That's what's up.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I work hospital security and this week, while stationed at the ER I disarmed an OCer. Well sort of. Here's my AAR.
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League • Login
    I think I handeled it a bit better than the guard in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    I work hospital security and this week, while stationed at the ER I disarmed an OCer. Well sort of. Here's my AAR.
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League • Login
    I think I handeled it a bit better than the guard in the OP.
    You have to register to view. Jus sayin
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Mathar1 doesn't need anyone to defend him against naysayers or to make others believe. That's what's up.
    I haven't formed an opinion yet...I'm looking for validation the event occurred, aside from an internet posting.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    You have to register to view. Jus sayin
    Sorry about that. Here's a copy and paste from that link...
    ----------------------------
    No, I didn't wrestle MEM's pistol from him. Let me elaborate.
    I was working my Security shift at Baton Rouge General Hospital at Mid-City. It was about 12:25am and I was assigned to the Security desk at the entrance to the Emergency Department. I had just gotten on shift at midnight. It was looking to be a pretty good shift. We only had 2 PEC patients and one was being transfered by Acadian ambulance to a mental health facility. The other PEC was sleeping peacefully. No assault or gunshot patients with the drama which comes with such things. Not bad for a late Saturday/early Sunday morning. Of course, we still had a couple of hours before the bars let out and people started going home. But so far so good.
    The double glass doors open and in walked a black male, about 30 years old, wearing a dark t-shirt and tan shorts. I greet him, as I do everyone, and he waves and walks into the ER waiting area. Then I see it. It's tucked into his left rear pocket and clearly looks like the butt of a pistol. Sort of like this-

The gunner in me says "Is that a Berretta in that guys pocket?" The Security Officer in me answers "Yeah, dummy, it sure looks like it but he ain't supposed to have it in here. Get up and do your job."
    Now there're all kinds of ways to handle something like this and every situation will, of course, be different and every Security Officer will handle things differently based on his or her experience and state of mind.
    I could have made a scene or gotten all full of myself in my superduper Security Guard uniform, bashed him with my flashlight and said, "Respect Ma Authority" in classic Cartman style.
    I could run outside where our extra duty BRPD Officer Derrick Williams was sitting in his Tahoe, bang on his hood and point while yelling GUN!!!.
    Instead I took the cool, friendly approach which worked so well for me for all of those years while working at Hunt Correctional Center.
    "Excuse me, Sir." I said in a calm and pleasant tone, "The hospital has a No Gun policy. Would you mind taking your pistol back out to your car and locking it inside?"
    The look on the guys face wasn't anger. It was a bit of suprise and for a moment puzzlement.
    Then his eyes widened a bit and he replied "Oh. No, I'm sorry. It's not even real. Sorry. See?" He grabs it with two fingers and pulls it from his pocket. That's when I saw the Red plastic tip on the barrel.

I took a breath. This could have been much worse. I told the guy "Well, you can understand why someone would see it and think it's real. At least you didn't panic any little old ladies sitting in the waiting room."
    He answered by tossing the plastic gun into the trashcan next to me. "You don't have to throw it away." I told him. "Just take it back to your car or cover it up for me."
    "No," he answered, "I took it from someone else and forgot about it. I don't want it. I'm just here to pick up my son."
    I watched him leave and then I thought about the plastic gun in the can next to my desk. Hhhmmm. Might be a good topic of conversation with my fellow Security types. I mentioned it to my Supervisor and to the Extra Duty BRPD Officer. Both said it was handled well. Hey, anytime we don't have to type up an incident report is a time something's handeled well.
    I took the gun home, took a couple of photos and built this post around them. By the way, the rest of the shift went smoothly. I got relieved a few minutes after 8am, clocked out and I'm now off until Tuesday night.
    -------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Sorry about that. Here's a copy and paste from that link...
    ----------------------------
    No, I didn't wrestle MEM's pistol from him. Let me elaborate.
    I was working my Security shift at Baton Rouge General Hospital at Mid-City. It was about 12:25am and I was assigned to the Security desk at the entrance to the Emergency Department. I had just gotten on shift at midnight. It was looking to be a pretty good shift. We only had 2 PEC patients and one was being transfered by Acadian ambulance to a mental health facility. The other PEC was sleeping peacefully. No assault or gunshot patients with the drama which comes with such things. Not bad for a late Saturday/early Sunday morning. Of course, we still had a couple of hours before the bars let out and people started going home. But so far so good.
    The double glass doors open and in walked a black male, about 30 years old, wearing a dark t-shirt and tan shorts. I greet him, as I do everyone, and he waves and walks into the ER waiting area. Then I see it. It's tucked into his left rear pocket and clearly looks like the butt of a pistol. Sort of like this-

The gunner in me says "Is that a Berretta in that guys pocket?" The Security Officer in me answers "Yeah, dummy, it sure looks like it but he ain't supposed to have it in here. Get up and do your job."
    Now there're all kinds of ways to handle something like this and every situation will, of course, be different and every Security Officer will handle things differently based on his or her experience and state of mind.
    I could have made a scene or gotten all full of myself in my superduper Security Guard uniform, bashed him with my flashlight and said, "Respect Ma Authority" in classic Cartman style.
    I could run outside where our extra duty BRPD Officer Derrick Williams was sitting in his Tahoe, bang on his hood and point while yelling GUN!!!.
    Instead I took the cool, friendly approach which worked so well for me for all of those years while working at Hunt Correctional Center.
    "Excuse me, Sir." I said in a calm and pleasant tone, "The hospital has a No Gun policy. Would you mind taking your pistol back out to your car and locking it inside?"
    The look on the guys face wasn't anger. It was a bit of suprise and for a moment puzzlement.
    Then his eyes widened a bit and he replied "Oh. No, I'm sorry. It's not even real. Sorry. See?" He grabs it with two fingers and pulls it from his pocket. That's when I saw the Red plastic tip on the barrel.

I took a breath. This could have been much worse. I told the guy "Well, you can understand why someone would see it and think it's real. At least you didn't panic any little old ladies sitting in the waiting room."
    He answered by tossing the plastic gun into the trashcan next to me. "You don't have to throw it away." I told him. "Just take it back to your car or cover it up for me."
    "No," he answered, "I took it from someone else and forgot about it. I don't want it. I'm just here to pick up my son."
    I watched him leave and then I thought about the plastic gun in the can next to my desk. Hhhmmm. Might be a good topic of conversation with my fellow Security types. I mentioned it to my Supervisor and to the Extra Duty BRPD Officer. Both said it was handled well. Hey, anytime we don't have to type up an incident report is a time something's handeled well.
    I took the gun home, took a couple of photos and built this post around them. By the way, the rest of the shift went smoothly. I got relieved a few minutes after 8am, clocked out and I'm now off until Tuesday night.
    -------------------------------
    You handled it the very same way I would have. If things were going to get dicey, the PD was right outside, and I'm sure you had a portable communications system on you. Sometimes cooler heads, descrete conversations prevail, especially in this encounter. Glad to hear you came home from your shift too.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

So I was reading about a poser getting outed on another forum and it reminded me I hadn't checked on this thread in months.

Still nothing to confirm it? No video? No report?

I am still trying to figure out how he is working as an armed body guard but the Georgia Secretary of State's licensing page only shows him as having a license for being an armed security guard that expired five years ago.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

To quote Moga when I posed the same question a couple of months ago:
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    So Mathar1 is above reproach...

At least when these types of things have happened in VA, there has been press reporting, followed by corroborating posts from VCDL members who were also present (I'm thinking of the VA Beach? (or Norfolk) event 3-4 years ago where a VCDL member was arrested for OCing during a festival and the police surrounded him, threatened his wife (who was taking pictures), and booked him. In the end, I believe he won a partial settlement.

My point being...there was more than a singular internet post with fanboys supporting the original poster....there was press and (at minimum) a police report. 6 months later and no police report? What am I (we) supposed to think?? Trust...but verify.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post

Still nothing to confirm it? No video? No report?

yes, thats exactly where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu711 View Post
    Whenever you touch someone without their consent is Nevada that is considered a crime of "battery." In Nevada that is an ARRESTABLE offense. One security company I worked for explained that in great detail. You can NEVER touch anyone without their consent. If you touch someone that person may decide to have you arrested for "battery."

If I were to have touched the shoplifting suspect that would have put myself, my employer as well as the store where the "alleged" shoplifting suspect in a legally questionable situation. I would have been terminated at the least.
    Sorry for late response, I just joined this board and was looking at some older posts. As a fellow Nevadan, I am curious, if you see a shoplifter, you cannot touch him?. What is to stop him from just casually strolling out the door?
    Not doubting your knowledge since you seem to work in security, but it seems like a strange law. I am neither in security nor a criminal but it just seems like this law puts a stranglehold on you from doing your job.

VIP Member
    SigGuy I'm with ya.....

georgiapacking.org link (thread) hasn't been updated since Jan 2nd

6 months later and no media report? no update of info?
    I'd really like to know some details on this thing.
    Nobody got copy of police report yet?

I would have thought something else would have come out by now
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    You are NOT a police officer and have no right to disarm ANYBODY. As a security guard you are no more than a "private citizen" wearing a uniform.
    Time for a shopping spree!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    SigGuy I'm with ya.....

georgiapacking.org link (thread) hasn't been updated since Jan 2nd

6 months later and no media report? no update of info?
    I'd really like to know some details on this thing.
    Nobody got copy of police report yet?

I would have thought something else would have come out by now
    +3. It looks less and less likely.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

To the OP, What an idiot, I don't get the security guys that try to be super troopers. I know ALOT of them.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

I worked contracted security at a nuclear power station in South Florida. We had a lot of "SWAT" wannabes. Not all of them. We had a lot of good guards there. One could always spot the mall ninjas cause theyre the only ones that opted to wear the load bearing vests and other tactical equipment. It was issued by the company, but optional to wear and carry. Everyone else just did their jobs.

Glad they were police academy rejects. If being a security guard with a weapon went to their heads like that, theres no telling how much real 'authority' would affect them.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Links