Security Guard tries to take pistol from OC'er.

This is a discussion on Security Guard tries to take pistol from OC'er. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Agree with all the posts above, but this comment---"Because the cops were called I can't give full details until everything is settled ..." is cause ...

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Security Guard tries to take pistol from OC'er.

VIP Member
    Agree with all the posts above, but this comment---"Because the cops were called I can't give full details until everything is settled ..." is cause for concern.

I hope the responding officers saw it the way we do and not as a vicious unprovoked attack on a security guard doing his job. That is certainly how many outside our community would view it. Not saying that's the right perspective or the law, but ....

2. Remove Ads

This could get interesting..........
    I am not familiar with Georgia law on the relevant issues here but either the security guard or the original poster could be in a whole lot of trouble. As has been pointed out a number of times in other threads, in some states security guards may be commisioned "special police officers" with full police powers (and protections) on the specific property where they work. That being said, I have no idea if that is the case in Georgia.

So hypothetically........ Would we be making the same assumptions as to the righteousness of the OP's actions if the person who grabbed him and then got his lights turned off was a uniformed deputy sheriff?

Are we comfortable believing the events and circumstances occurred exactly as has been related?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Moderator
    So hypothetically........ Would we be making the same assumptions as to the righteousness of the OP's actions if the person who grabbed him and then got his lights turned off was a uniformed deputy sheriff?
    A uniformed Deputy Sheriff had better be smarter than that.

Even a cop wont try to grab a gun unless a serious threat has been demonstrated. As far as we know, there was none here.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Even a cop wont try to grab a gun unless a serious threat has been demonstrated. As far as we know, there was none here.
    i'm going to have to disagree with you here. an uninformed (or arrogant) LEO will try a gun grab, the only reason i didn't react as the man in GA did, is because i turned in time to see they were LEO.

i hope Officer Blart in GA loses his job over this.
    Last edited by JD; December 29th, 2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Removed link due to language.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The 'armed citizen' was certainly within his rights to defend himself and control his weapon. I'd say that the store has some 'splainin' to do about the actions of its employees.
    I wonder what the store's management (or the security company's management) would have to say about one of their guards attempting to disarm a customer. I find it hard to believe that would be allowed by the retailer, or the law for that matter.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Senior Moderator
    i'm going to have to disagree with you here. an uninformed (or arrogant) LEO will try a gun grab, the only reason i didn't react as the man in GA did, is because i turned in time to see they were LEO.

Cant speak for Yankees I guess.

Around here that sort of stuff will get you fired.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    I hope it works out for the OP.

I agree that a LEO should know better. But I wish I could say all LEOs do know better. Unfortunately as in any profession there are ones that slip through the cracks. This guy obviously went way beyond observing and reporting and got himself thumped for his troubles. Fortunately he survived and thus can learn from his mistake. But I always tend to be a little skeptical of internet postings (posings?) of this type. (The Gecko said there would be deceivers didn't he?) But the legal question in my mind is what if Paul Blart there was sort of a half breed mutant Barney Fife and at the time of the incident actually had statutory police powers? Yes, what he did (as described in the original post) would not win him points with any FTO (except one I know but thats another story) but would his thoughtless actions provide a legal defense to charges of assualt on a peace officer?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I just can't wait to hear which "big box store" this happened in, as well as the "rest of the story."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    but would his thoughtless actions provide a legal defense to charges of assualt on a peace officer?
    That would be entirely up to the Prosecutor.

With NO interaction with the S.O. before the S.O went hands on, with no demonstrated threat or perceived danger on part of the guy whose gun he tried to take,it would be awfully hard to justify his actions. The guy was legal and within his rights as far as we know.

If we know all the facts here and there is no more to the story, I would think that the Prosecutors would drop all charges that were made to avoid a law suit with negative publicity.

But that is my point of view of how it would work here. I have no idea how things work over there.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

More details required.

The motive of the security guard, no matter how stupid, is the reason I'm having trouble beliveling the event happened, as stated.

If it did happen as stated, the security guard should be charged.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

wait what?? GCO v Strength (Richmond County's Sheriff)
    might want to read through that.... not only did the cop snatch the gun from the holster he stole it because the owner(a soldier who has the same authority as the cop to carry in GA)didnt have a receipt....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Senior Moderator
    Perhaps I shoud have said...

should be smarter than that...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    Good for him!! And good for him for not shooting the guy. This was a great display of appropriate response.

Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Thinking?
    Sure doesn't seem like he did any thinking at all. Any idiot that thinks they are going to walk up behind me and take my firearm, would immediately be suspected of possily trying to use it on me and could end up in very serious condition, or worse.
    I was thinking along the same lines..a person going for my firearm is no different than someone attempting to deploy their own weapon. This guard did a very stupid thing.....he is fortunate to have just been knocked on his Seat warmer.
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Links