Security Guard tries to take pistol from OC'er.

This is a discussion on Security Guard tries to take pistol from OC'er. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the postre: MY bodyguard boss just returned my call and said relax he will make it go away. I was simply doing what I ...

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Security Guard tries to take pistol from OC'er.

From the postre:
    MY bodyguard boss just returned my call and said relax he will make it go away. I was simply doing what I am trained and paid to do and that nothing at all I did was out of line. That with the training he provides and his requirement that we carry a gun at ALL times he provides legal representation and help at any time needed.

Sounds like perhaps he is a freelance/part time bodyguard. If he works for someone in that field, it's possible they have local LEO connections that could work in the posters favor
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    From the postre:
    MY bodyguard boss just returned my call and said relax he will make it go away. I was simply doing what I am trained and paid to do and that nothing at all I did was out of line. That with the training he provides and his requirement that we carry a gun at ALL times he provides legal representation and help at any time needed....
    OK, now I know it is Geko45. He has come out from hiding.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    Sorry to distract from the original OP but this just made my day. Thank you.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    In a state where the open and concealed carry of firearms is legal and common, it seems utterly amazing that anyone could believe that a citizen minding his own business could be construed as a threat to anyone.

It's legal here in Louisiana too and I bet Open Carry is just as rare in Georga as it is here. It's also rare that anyone knows that Open Carry is legal. That is one of the reasons for the formation of the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League. To get the word out to the citizens and LEOs in this state that it's legal.
    Can I believe that a security guard at a big box store would not know that OC is legal? Heck yes. I work security. Been doing it for years. Most of the people I work with have no clue regarding firearms laws.
    Less than a week ago I spoke with a fellow officer at the hospital where I work He was completely unaware of the legality of open carry. He also had several other misconceptions such as thinking that if you have a gun in your car it must be unloaded (<-not true in La.).
    Some guards are not the brightest bulbs in the box. I can honestly believe that a guard saw this OCer walk in and then and there saw some hero movie flash before his eyes and at that moment he decided to take action. Too bad for him.

If this is true (and there's some doubt in my mind) then the guy is in for some interesting times.

The guard will likely try to sue for his medical injuries. I don't know if he'll be able to sue the guy or will be restricted to a work comp claim. There is a possibility that the WC carrier could try to add a 3d party to the claim (the store) but I don't see where the guy can be named in a WC claim. I could be wrong but a guard's job is to deal with a potentially problematic customer so physical conflicts would be well within his job description.

A civil action would be against the store and the guy. The guy should/will likely counterclaim against the store and the guard. The store in the end will cough up funds for both out of their insurance and settle the matter. The guard will probably claim for and get SSDI disability from the feds for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    It's legal here in Louisiana too and I bet Open Carry is just as rare in Georga as it is here. It's also rare that anyone knows that Open Carry is legal. That is one of the reasons for the formation of the Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League. To get the word out to the citizens and LEOs in this state that it's legal.
    Can I believe that a security guard at a big box store would not know that OC is legal? Heck yes. I work security. Been doing it for years. Most of the people I work with have no clue regarding firearms laws.
    Less than a week ago I spoke with a fellow officer at the hospital where I work He was completely unaware of the legality of open carry. He also had several other misconceptions such as thinking that if you have a gun in your car it must be unloaded (<-not true in La.).
    Some guards are not the brightest bulbs in the box. I can honestly believe that a guard saw this OCer walk in and then and there saw some hero movie flash before his eyes and at that moment he decided to take action. Too bad for him.

i dont think OC is all to rear here....i OC daily and have seen a few other people i dont know OCing.... and I OC so it isnt rare
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    I don't think there is anything pointing to his story being B.S. He works the gun counter part time at Patrick's Uniforms in Savannah, GA. I think he also works as a butcher at Kroger's and does horse shoeing. All these contacts and friends he talks about are probably people he knows from working at Patrick's. As far as his boss "requiring him to carry at all times," he probably means his boss requires him to carry at all times that he is working at Patrick's. I have no idea why a gun store would require one of their part-time employees to carry when they aren't working. Sounds like he is exaggerating and obfuscating the nature of his relationships with some individuals, but overall I see no reason to doubt his story about the security guard trying to disarm him.
    Bm7b5 it looks like you might be the most informed here as far as who this guy is. Perhaps you can address my "concerns" about his credibility. Have you ever met this guy face to face? Is Matt's body guard boss the person that employs Matt as a body guard or a body guard that Matt works for in some other capacity? Another poster said they believe Matt was employed as a body guard.
    Also, I have to ask, if it sounds to you like he is exaggerating and obfuscating why do you believe a story he tells that does not contain a single verifiable fact? No one can find any reference to this incident other than the post written by the person claiming to be involved. The same person you yourself say sounds like he is exaggerating and obfuscating. A video is purported to exist but where is it? An unnamed lawyer and unnamed police department have it. IIRC he said his lawyer wants to keep it under wraps as "leverage". What kind of leverage is that? It is not like the other parties involved don't have access to the video. It is not like a secret weapon. If the video exists, everyone involved knows what is on it.
    I would say you definitely know him better than I do. Perhaps in the past he has given you reason to accept this story without any supporting facts. But I have seen absolutely nothing that would lead me to believe this story is any more real than the letters to Penthouse Forum.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

im sure if you want the video a Georgia Open Records request is in order....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Bm7b5 it looks like you might be the most informed here as far as who this guy is...
    I don't know him. Just 20 minutes and the power of Google. And I'm not certain he is exaggerating his relationships to the people he says he knows, just sounds possible from my experience with certain kinds of people. But exaggerating relationships is different than coming out with a huge whopper. Anyway, the event happened two days ago. There is no reason something like this would be in the newspapers, and the Savannah Police Department doesn't publish this type of information publicly (assuming it was SCMPD that responded). There is no reason the big box store would have put this on the web, and there is no good reason he or his lawyer would want it on the web. The guy has been posting there for two years and has met quite a few people on the site. His real name and address are easy to find (I won't post it). If it is a lie it will eventually come out, and he'll have seriously damaged his relationship and credibility on a forum he apparently loves, and he'll have embarrassed his employer. If I had to put money on it, I'd place my money on it being true. Just saying...
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

one moment please

would agree except for the simple fact that security guard committed assault and battery that resulted in his injury

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    If this is true (and there's some doubt in my mind) then the guy is in for some interesting times.

The guard will likely try to sue for his medical injuries. I don't know if he'll be able to sue the guy or will be restricted to a work comp claim. There is a possibility that the WC carrier could try to add a 3d party to the claim (the store) but I don't see where the guy can be named in a WC claim. I could be wrong but a guard's job is to deal with a potentially problematic customer so physical conflicts would be well within his job description.

A civil action would be against the store and the guy. The guy should/will likely counterclaim against the store and the guard. The store in the end will cough up funds for both out of their insurance and settle the matter. The guard will probably claim for and get SSDI disability from the feds for the rest of his life.
    Steve

Life member

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Had the yahoo tried to do that to someone that was an off duty cop, it would have been ruled a justifiable shoot.

In lots of places, weapon retention is a justifiable shoot.
    In just about every state I know of it is justifiable to use deadly force when a felony is in the process of being committed. Stealing a firearm IS a felony. Any good lawyer would be able to justify the shooting, if the security guard got killed.

Bm7b5 this actually wont be too hard to verify in a week or so. The police department there publishes their crime stats on a weekly basis! They even have pdf files with the incident type and the address where it occurred. His original post was at 4:40pm and he said it happened that day. Between the crime reports, the chamber of commerce, and say yellowbook.com we should be able to identify the incident fairly easily.

Hummmm, can we say 'stupid'. The only person who's allowed to disarm me, is an LEO, and even then I would hope they don't ever feel a need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Hummmm, can we say 'stupid'. The only person who's allowed to disarm me, is an LEO, and even then I would hope they don't ever feel a need to.
    Stupid is a brutal teacher.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Bm7b5 I am confused. Maybe you can help clarify things a bit.
    Your google-fu is obviously superior to mine because I am finding this guy claiming to work part time in a port in Savannah where he may or may not have seen 12.7mm guns mounted on shipping containers. Examiner.com: American ships buck trend, sail armed - News & Political Alerts - Open Carry Brigade - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum The only mathar1 I can find associated with horses is in Kansas at Southern Winds Equine Rescue. That is a long way from Savannah!
    You say in this thread you don't know him, but fifty eight minutes after I raised the question about him being a body guard or him working for a guy who is a body guard someone with a screen name identical to yours makes a post on Glock Talk GA: security guard attempts to disarm a private citizen - Page 2 - Glock Talk explaining that he is not claiming to be a body guard but that his boss at the gun shop is a body guard.
    I can't begin to calculate the odds of two different people coming up with identical screen names for a couple of gun forums! And one of them not knowing that mathar1 but the other not only knowing him, but knowing him well enough to answer on GlockTalk a question I asked on this forum! If the admins of the various forums were to compare IP addresses between this forum, GlockTalk and mathar1 on the Georgia forum would I be amazed at another coincidence?
    Am I missing something here?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links