OC'ing in LA

This is a discussion on OC'ing in LA within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; okay.. I'm watching this show about rookies in Jefferson Parish. They're riding through this neighborhood where there was someone carrying a rifle, and the fuzz ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC'ing in LA

OC'ing in LA

okay.. I'm watching this show about rookies in Jefferson Parish. They're riding through this neighborhood where there was someone carrying a rifle, and the fuzz took'em down.
    It was discovered that the rifle was fake (even had a orange tip).

My question is if it's legal to oc why did they even approach the people?
    jersey no more.. im a texan now

2. Remove Ads

It makes good tv to show confrontations.

We would really need more information about the situation...did the LEOs see them acting suspiciously? Was it a group or one person? Was the person/group pointing the rifle at someone or themselves? Was there a person in the group, or did the person with a rifle, that matched the description of someone they were looking for? What time was it? (any group or person with something that looks like a rifle in my area a 3am is going to send up red flags, but not so much during daylight hours.)
    Maybe they just wanted to hassle them...some LEOs are like that.

Also there have been a few cases of people painting the barrel tips on real functional rifles orange.
    here is a link to someone painting there barrel tip orange in another forum
    Painted Orange for Safety - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbigclarke View Post
    okay.. I'm watching this show about rookies in Jefferson Parish. They're riding through this neighborhood where there was someone carrying a rifle, and the fuzz took'em down.
    It was discovered that the rifle was fake (even had a orange tip).

My question is if it's legal to oc why did they even approach the people?
    While it's legal to OC in LA, I personally would not want to do it in Orleans or Jefferson parishes. Legal or not, I don't trust NOPD to know it, and chances are it would result in more police interaction than I would like. I do, however, CC every time I go down that way.

But to answer your question, it's because it makes for good drama, like mamakennedy said.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

What is shown on TV cop reality shows is seldom reality ...

But it IS theater.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Jefferson and Orleans Parishes are fairly anti-gun to start with. Add in the socioeconomic factors of just who the guy is and you are going to get stopped.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I ve been told by Police that while OC is Legal is frowned upon by most of them in La. I don t think it should be but they would prob find something else to charge you with. Therfore I don t.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Y'all gotta stop watching 'Steven Seagal, Lawman' :-P :-P :-P
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Louisiana is an open carry state, however, as others have noted, you'll probably be charged with disturbing the peace or something else because the police aren't real happy about it. I know in more rural areas, it's not a real problem, but I know there are several court case involving open carry that have not bee resolved definitively. If you have a Conceal Handgun Permit , you are not allowed to open carry in La.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 45s4life View Post
    If you have a Conceal Handgun Permit , you are not allowed to open carry in La.
    I've never heard that before, could you provide more information?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I've never heard that before, could you provide more information?
    Neither have I. I'm not aware of any portion of LA law that forbids OC only for CHL holders.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Louisiana is an open carry state, however, as others have noted, you'll probably be charged with disturbing the peace or something else because the police aren't real happy about it. I know in more rural areas, it's not a real problem, but I know there are several court case involving open carry that have not bee resolved definitively. If you have a Conceal Handgun Permit , you are not allowed to open carry in La.
    I don t think that is true. I recently went back over rules & Reg in CCW class and it was never mentioned like that. But then again never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

If you have a Conceal Handgun Permit , you are not allowed to open carry in La.
    This is absolutley untrue. Having a CHP DOES NOT in any way prevent you from open carrying. It simply gives you the previlage of concealing which is a restricted activity.
    This is one of the bits of misinformation we in LOCAL we are trying to educate people about.
    Louisiana is an open carry state, however, as others have noted, you'll probably be charged with disturbing the peace or something else because the police aren't real happy about it.
    OCing is not considered disturbing the peace and if the police arest you for it they are open to a lawsuit. They don't have to be happy about it. They simply have to enforce the laws. For more info regarding OC and disturbing the peace go to the Louisiana Carry webpage at http://louisianacarry.org/oc/ and scroll down to FAQ #17 for links to the actual law.
    We have enough problems in La without people spreading misinformation.
    Last edited by yale; January 6th, 2010 at 09:25 AM.

The information that I am being quoted on came from my CHP instructor who was deputy sheriff of one of the neighboring parishes of New Orleans. I took the course 9 years ago. He was pretty adamant about not being able to carry open after acquiring the permit.

9 year old info in this field is very old info to rely on, and most likely inaccurate info. Laws usually change yearly, and I, personally, try to reread the statues in the areas I travel to regularly every year. For any other place I might end up I make sure I have a copy of the statues to review before I get there...it would really ruin a vacation(or your day) if you ended up arrested.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    9 year old info in this field is very old info to rely on, and most likely inaccurate info. Laws usually change yearly, and I, personally, try to reread the statues in the areas I travel to regularly every year. For any other place I might end up I make sure I have a copy of the statues to review before I get there...it would really ruin a vacation(or your day) if you ended up arrested.
    I agree, plus I'll add that CHP instructors can be wrong. Sometimes it's tempting and just too easy to "teach" opinion.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links