Defensive Carry banner

Open carry inside house in a concealed carry state...

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  archer51 
#1 ·
OK, I read a post in this forum earlier that sparked a question that I would like answered.
If I live in a concealed carry state, and I'm pretty sure we can open carry as long as we're on our own property as long as we're not deliberately brandishing the weapon, but what if I live in an apartment complex and I answer the door while open carrying to say a pizza man, ups guy, or some random solicitor. If this person freaked out despite any effort to calm or inform that person that it is legal and they went to the police and the police showed up at my door would I still be justified. Could they charge me using some loophole such as public display of a firearm or brandishing ect... ?

#2 ·
If its holstered then no way is it brandishing, in your home its not public display, and most apartment complexes have no solicitation policies, so the pizza dude is the only one you'd have to worry about, but a decent tip would set him at ease.

#4 ·
OWNERS key word

You do not own the apartment complex , so it is not your property. You pay rent to keep your property with you. You must own the property to carry OC. a home owner in most states does not need a CCW to carry openly on his property or self owned place of work. But you can't step off your property with the weapon in sight. Unless you live in Vermont.

#8 ·
You do not own the apartment complex , so it is not your property. You pay rent to keep your property with you. You must own the property to carry OC. a home owner in most states does not need a CCW to carry openly on his property or self owned place of work. But you can't step off your property with the weapon in sight. Unless you live in Vermont.
Unless RI has some screwy law that makes renters a second class citizen, you can OC in your apartment. You pay rent to live there. It is your official domicile, you are covered by the same laws as a home owner.

Many states allow legal OC, not just VT.

#6 ·
As long as he pays rent he is leasing appartment or renting HE CAN OC IN THE
APPARTMENT CASE CLOSED> THATS HOW IT'S DONE IN FLORIDA!!!
:haha: :wave:
"Correcto Mundo"...:yup:

#7 ·
You would think irregardless if it's an apartment or not, it wouldn't matter. If someone breaks down your door, it's still breaking and entering according to the police, so I would think you would be good to go.

Ask your local PD just for clarification sakes.

I mean I don't own my house, the bank does, so the logic that I don't own my own house would stand as well right? Not so according to the law. I imagine an apartment falls into the same context.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.