Discussion with a Co-Worker about OC today

This is a discussion on Discussion with a Co-Worker about OC today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work at a Medium Security Correctional Facility and was talking about guns with a fellow C.O. when I told him that away from work ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion with a Co-Worker about OC today

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana

Discussion with a Co-Worker about OC today

I work at a Medium Security Correctional Facility and was talking about guns with a fellow C.O. when I told him that away from work I tend to carry a gun with me everywhere I go. The first question out of his mouth was to ask why I did it. I told him I do it because I want to first of all. Second of all, and more importantly, I want to be able to keep myself and my loved ones safe from harm.
    He did nothing but insult my choice to carry and insult me for feeling it necessary to do so. He told me he's carried in some big cities and never felt the need to do so. He was apparently in the Army and claimed he walked down 'Main Street' in downtown Mosul, Iraq without a firearm and felt completely safe.
    His next question, in and amongst all these insults, was to ask how many times I've needed my firearm with me when I've carried. I told him about four or five times in my life. He then stated, (in his exact words): "If you were smart, like me, you could have gotten yourself out of all those situations without your pistol being needed!" The first thought in my head was to backhand him at that comment. I refrained though, not a good thing to do in front of inmates.
    I told him it was my choice to carry and the way I was brought up. I was raised around guns, hunting, shooting, the Second Amendment, patriotism, family, and most of all, God! Not drinking, cheating and partaking in as many alcoholic libations as I can afford each day, like he was.
    He mentioned how I need a permit to be able to carry anywhere in the state. Not only (in his opinion) is it Local law, it's State and Federal law... or at least that's what he says. He fancies himself a fountain of knowledge when in fact he's not. I told him there was no Federal Law stating I needed a permit, nor was there a State law to that effect either. He tried to argue that there was. I told him in the state of Montana, the only place one needs a permit is within the limits of an incorporated city, town, mining/logging camp or other such area. Outside the geographical limits of such an area a permit is not needed, nor is a permit needed for OC within the state. He was disgusted at my explanation of this and promptly tried to back-pedal and attempted to tell me why it was illegal to carry. Suffice it to say, I won't be attending any of his backyard barbecue's. If I were to do so, I'd be carrying and I wouldn't be welcome if I carried.

I guess the final thought is: I'll continue to carry, I'll continue to keep my pistol under my pillow, I'll continue to live the way I've been doing for as long as I can.
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a complete moron... Mosul with no fire arm huh? He wouldn't have lasted long in Falluja. Sorry you have to work with him!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

you're both COs in the same joint? i hope you never have to rely on him for your safety; he sounds like a complete moron.

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    My sentiments exactly, jahwarrior!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

I would think C.O.'s have even more reasons than others to carry when away from work, such as the possibility of being recognized by disgruntled former inmates.

Perhaps someday your coworker will find that out firsthand.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I would think C.O.'s have even more reasons than others to carry when away from work, such as the possibility of being recognized by disgruntled former inmates.

Perhaps someday your coworker will find that out firsthand.
    BINGO !

I have two friends who are C.O.'s (Wa and Fl states). They carry and that's both thier first reason they give for packing off duty.

Your co-worker is an idiot.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Wow he is a tough guy for sure. (<sarcasm) Sounds like he has a death wish... "He was apparently in the Army and claimed he walked down 'Main Street' in downtown Mosul, Iraq without a firearm and felt completely safe".... or maybe he is just dumb... Sorry you have to work with sheep like him...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Reading the OP's post reinforces my attitude about not getting involved in protecting other than myself or my family unless under extreme circumstances. It's attitudes like the OP's co-worker that puts all of us at more risk. I feel sorry for you having to work with someone with so few operational cells between his ears, ecorrigan. He is not a sheep, he is a self styled victim.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

yea the guy is a complete dummy. And I can truly say that he probably never ever walked anywhere in Mosul unarmed. That is suicidal, believe me... I speak from experience, Mosul an for that matter, the entire country of Iraq is no place for an American to be unarmed

Does he realize there's a reason he has a job in a PRISON?!?! Does he not realize how many of those people are in there for committing violent crimes against unsuspecting strangers?? How stupid can one be?!??!?

Seriously, I hope you never have to rely on this guy to have your back...
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Wow....his survival instinct is low....
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I'd bet his survival bag is ful of alcahol :-)
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Next time a fight breaks out let an inmate get in an extra 2 punches on the guy before you jump in to break it up. Then ask him didn't a smart guy like you see the punches coming?

I was at a biker event in CA with some COs that ran into some of their former inmates. Nothing happened, but there was some interesting conversation.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

He might of walked down a street in Mosul without a gun,but he was probably surrounded by a rifle squad that had theirs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links