Do you support an open carry permit? - Page 4

Do you support an open carry permit?

This is a discussion on Do you support an open carry permit? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who are the 6 at this time who don't support OC, and why don't they post as to why?...

View Poll Results: Do you support open carry with a permit?

Voters
473. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

254 53.70%
  • I don't care as long as it's open carry!!!

61 12.90%
  • I think you should HAVE to have a permit

111 23.47%
  • I don't support open carry

47 9.94%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you support an open carry permit?

VIP Member

Who are the 6?

Who are the 6 at this time who don't support OC, and why don't they post as to why?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I didn't vote, I don't OC and never would but I'm not at all against it. I just feel it draws unwanted attention and notifies EVERYONE you have a gun for better or worse. With that said if OC was my only option then you better believe I would be open carrying for the world to see.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I believe you do not need a permit to open carry....if you can legally own a gun, you should be able to carry it openly (ideally, concealed also). Why would you want to get the state involved in practicing an individual right? After all, you don't need a permit to write a letter to the editor, nor does the editor need a permit to print a letter....much less, a blogger needing a permit post something on the internet.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I support open carry but I do not think there should be a mandatory permit to go along with it. A free people do not have to ask permission to protect themselves.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

No permit should be required to carry a pistol. Concealed or not.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    No permit should be required to carry a pistol. Concealed or not.

This.
    I've never seen where it was specified by those who composed the consititution that there was a difference in how you choose to bear arms.

OC has little tactical advantage for the average citizen. IMHO it is a shoot me first flag. Who wants to be facing the register or cooler at your neighborhood 7-11, etc. and have your local Banger come through the door with his buddy pistols drawn. If you think these perps care at all about you bleeding on the floor you are mistaken. You are only an obstical to what they want. It's a bad *** world out there and every advantage you can give yourself helps to insure your survival. IMO people who OC give up their advantage of stealth, scare the sheep (perhaps that's the point) and will be the first in line for a lethal lead injection if the SHTF. One advantage OC might have is they will draw all the attention and fire while I can get my weapon online. I don't think it should be illegal, I only think it unwise. JMHO.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

I would have no problem with having to pass a background check to insure a convicted felon was not attempting to pack heat - WAIT a minute, they don't care they pack anyway, convicted or not!!!

So I guess that answers the question - we should have the same rights to pack heat as the bad guys....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    OC has little tactical advantage for the average citizen. IMHO it is a shoot me first flag. Who wants to be facing the register or cooler at your neighborhood 7-11, etc. and have your local Banger come through the door with his buddy pistols drawn. If you think these perps care at all about you bleeding on the floor you are mistaken. You are only an obstical to what they want. It's a bad *** world out there and every advantage you can give yourself helps to insure your survival. IMO people who OC give up their advantage of stealth, scare the sheep (perhaps that's the point) and will be the first in line for a lethal lead injection if the SHTF. One advantage OC might have is they will draw all the attention and fire while I can get my weapon online. I don't think it should be illegal, I only think it unwise. JMHO.
    I find this argument very common, and completely without proof. Show me just one time this has ever been documented. Just because you prefer CC, you bad-mouth OC?

I actually don't prefer one over the other, it just really bothers me when people make statements like this one. Also, notice everything you posted is just "YOUR OPINION".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I find this argument very common, and completely without proof. Show me just one time this has ever been documented. Just because you prefer CC, you bad-mouth OC?

I actually don't prefer one over the other, it just really bothers me when people make statements like this one. Also, notice everything you posted is just "YOUR OPINION".
    I think what Fred is trying to say is this.

If I (a bad guy) were to walk into your local 7-11 with intent to rob, and I see Person A (a good fella OC'ing), with a gun strapped to his side, I'm going to put a bullet in Person A's head so I can continue to rob the store.

Now, had Person A been concealing his weapon, he probably would have been thrown out of the way, had a gun pointed at him and was being told to not move.

Hmm... I would prefer to have a gun in my face, instead of a bullet.
    Glock 23
    CWP (ND) Holder
    CWP (Utah) - Waiting for my letter

i think if a BG came into 7-11 and saw someone OCing, they would be more likely to turn and leave. MOST (not all, but most) BG's are cowards and are relying on their gun to scare their victims. This arguement to me is like saying that a cops uniform is a "shoot me first flag" if they are in 7-11 when a potential robber comes in.

show me ONE news story where a BG shot a OCer prior to initiating a robbery...
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

No. The only thing you should need to carry openly is a gun and a holster.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TLaude View Post
    I think what Fred is trying to say is this.

If I (a bad guy) were to walk into your local 7-11 with intent to rob, and I see Person A (a good fella OC'ing), with a gun strapped to his side, I'm going to put a bullet in Person A's head so I can continue to rob the store.

I know what he is saying, and it is only the opinion of some people, that is why I asked for a documented occurrence.

Now, had Person A been concealing his weapon, he probably would have been thrown out of the way, had a gun pointed at him and was being told to not move.

Hmm... I would prefer to have a gun in my face, instead of a bullet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    i think if a BG came into 7-11 and saw someone OCing, they would be more likely to turn and leave. MOST (not all, but most) BG's are cowards and are relying on their gun to scare their victims. This argument to me is like saying that a cops uniform is a "shoot me first flag" if they are in 7-11 when a potential robber comes in.

show me ONE news story where a BG shot a OCer prior to initiating a robbery...
    I agree, I have seen it, they run like a scared cat.
    Thomas Jefferson

Everything can be considered an opinion by someone who does not agree. It's how the world works. As for how it can all come down, we just had a perp walk into a coffee shop in Lakewood, WA and gun down four uniformed and openly armed Police officers in cold blood. He did not wet himself trying to get away, as a matter of fact after killing three of the officers and wounding the Sergeant, he used the Sergeants gun and made two contact shots, one to each eye. If you think all these all guys are mamma's boys and going to run away when they see your gun you might want to change your medications.

OC if you want. You don't need anybody's permission. I thought this Forum dealt a lot with opinions. No need to be un-civil.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Everything can be considered an opinion by someone who does not agree. It's how the world works. As for how it can all come down, we just had a perp walk into a coffee shop in Lakewood, WA and gun down four uniformed and openly armed Police officers in cold blood. He did not wet himself trying to get away, as a matter of fact after killing three of the officers and wounding the Sergeant, he used the Sergeants gun and made two contact shots, one to each eye. If you think all these all guys are mamma's boys and going to run away when they see your gun you might want to change your medications.

OC if you want. You don't need anybody's permission. I thought this Forum dealt a lot with opinions. No need to be un-civil.
    That had NOTHING to do with losing tactical advantage by OCing.
    That had to do with a scum bag WANTING to kill Police Officers. That is completely different.

Also, I sure don't feel like I was un-civil, if I was I apologize.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links