Do you support an open carry permit? - Page 5

Do you support an open carry permit?

This is a discussion on Do you support an open carry permit? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think no permit should be necessary for OC or CC for a law abiding citizen. The only requirement should be citizenship....

View Poll Results: Do you support open carry with a permit?

Voters
473. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

254 53.70%
  • I don't care as long as it's open carry!!!

61 12.90%
  • I think you should HAVE to have a permit

111 23.47%
  • I don't support open carry

47 9.94%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you support an open carry permit?

I think no permit should be necessary for OC or CC for a law abiding citizen. The only requirement should be citizenship.

OC

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    I find this argument very common, and completely without proof. Show me just one time this has ever been documented. Just because you prefer CC, you bad-mouth OC?

I actually don't prefer one over the other, it just really bothers me when people make statements like this one. Also, notice everything you posted is just "YOUR OPINION".
    OC isn't legal in Texas so it isn't an option for me regardless. Even if it was I dont know that it would be the right choice for me anyway.

That said...

There was some activity on a thread recently, the "How many years, how many times to draw, how many times to fire" thread.

I noticed two pretty distinct scenerios that comprised the majority of the responses. People who have never drawn and people who have draw but not fired because the presence of the weapon diffused the situation. I dont support the idea of drawing to diffuse but the numbers seem to indicate that it works most of the time anyway.

So, if the presence of a firearm has prevented the need to actually fire said firearm it does make a certain degree of sense that OC would prevent these altercations from starting in the first place. Just sayin.

People talk about the "tactical advantage" of concealed carry. And the tactical advantage is legitimate, it DOES give an element of surprise to defend yourself with. But would OC have eliminated the need to defend? In the scenerio of a BG coming into a store and shooting someone for wearing a gun on the outside in the open...Maybe so. But to me (and this is only my opinion) thats trying to rationalize criminal behavior. If they where rationally thinking people they would probably NOT be robing places to start with. I figure they would probably shoot me for just being there. But if Im on the street and muggers are looking for a victim, I think I would have made myself a pretty unattractive victim by OC. Sure, if Im CC I can draw fast enough to shoot and kill, but now I would have to. I dont have any desire to shoot anyone and I don't want to be the guy whos "cleaning up the streets for others". I just don't want to be killed by someone or have to watch family of friends be killed.

Just from what Ive read on these boards, thread and polls seems you would be far less likely to need to use an OC carried weapon.

Im sure this will start some debate but I think its pretty safe to say based on the facts Ive read there's some significant merit to the idea of open carrying.

Alex!

Like Timberline already said... in Colorado we don't need permission OR a permit to OC! I voted no.
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    OC has little tactical advantage for the average citizen. IMHO it is a shoot me first flag. Who wants to be facing the register or cooler at your neighborhood 7-11, etc. and have your local Banger come through the door with his buddy pistols drawn. If you think these perps care at all about you bleeding on the floor you are mistaken. You are only an obstical to what they want. It's a bad *** world out there and every advantage you can give yourself helps to insure your survival. IMO people who OC give up their advantage of stealth, scare the sheep (perhaps that's the point) and will be the first in line for a lethal lead injection if the SHTF. One advantage OC might have is they will draw all the attention and fire while I can get my weapon online. I don't think it should be illegal, I only think it unwise. JMHO.
    Thank you for so eloquently violating the rule clearly posted at the top of this forum with your opinion completely unsupported by any factual evidence of it ever happening the way you describe.-

Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Thank you for so eloquently violating the rule clearly posted at the top of this forum with your opinion completely unsupported by any factual evidence of it ever happening the way you describe.-
    +1
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I don't like the idea of supporting anything that actually works against RKBA. Seems to me that "support" of one form of carry implies non-support of another (OC vs CC). I want us to support carry. The "Bradys" of the world have shown a great talent for reinterpreting quotes

You know, you are absolutely right. I simply started reading the quotes from the beginning and didn't see the title small print prohibiting any discussion on the subject. I would remove all offensive post if I could but the forums format won't let me.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I don't believe in having to have a permit to carry period but my opinion doesn't matter to our elected idiots. The constitution does not say, ''the right of the people to bear arms, as long as permitted, shall not be infringed''.
    this statement is my opinion also.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    What am I going to do without Ziva to drool over?????

I think you meant NICS.
    no,
    He did mean NCIS.

Naval
    Criminal
    Investigative
    Service
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    no,
    He did mean NCIS.

Naval
    Criminal
    Investigative
    Service
    (1) I know what NCIS means. I guess you don't watch the TV show of the same name or you would have known that from my comment about one of the main (and very sexy) characters.

(2) The poster was listing things that we would no longer have to contend with if permits were not required. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service isn't one of them, because NCIS has nothing to do with issuing carry permits to civilians.

However ... NICS - The National Instant Criminal Background Check System - DOES have something to do with the issuing of permits.

The transposition of the I and the C in the acronym is a common typo on Internet forums.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    (1) I know what NCIS means. I guess you don't watch the TV show of the same name or you would have known that from my comment about one of the main (and very sexy) characters.

(2) The poster was listing things that we would no longer have to contend with if permits were not required. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service isn't one of them, because NCIS has nothing to do with issuing carry permits to civilians.
    I wouldn't mind getting checked out by Abby at all!

I wouldn't mind getting checked out by Abby at all!

Get in line!!!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I most definitely do NOT support the idea that a permit or license scheme actually helps in any material way, either for concealed or open carry. It's the law of the land, for concealed carry, sad to say. The background check does (temporarily, at least) thwart some criminals who don't initially have their own route to the black market, though I'm sure that's quickly cured the second time around. In short, I see little point or benefit to a permissions process. And I see it as a direct infringement, against the spirit and meaning of the 2A of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I voted no, of course. As has already been said, how can anyone justify having to have a permit to exercise a right that's guaranteed by the Constitution?
    Corruption is how you get it. Corruption of the system, the Constitution and those who futz with it. Pretty simple, really. What's complicated is how we the People have allowed it to get so far. That has taken 200yrs to allow the water to reach the boiling point.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I vote yes for the simple fact that at least that way no one can question you having it

i don't have a permit, but i can still open carry legally here in my state if i wanted to.

i don't though. people are skittish about that sort of thing nowadays.

i think i was born a century too late lol

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links