Do you support an open carry permit?

This is a discussion on Do you support an open carry permit? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Don Glock i don't have a permit, but i can still open carry legally here in my state if i wanted to. ...

View Poll Results: Do you support open carry with a permit?

Voters
473. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

254 53.70%
  • I don't care as long as it's open carry!!!

61 12.90%
  • I think you should HAVE to have a permit

111 23.47%
  • I don't support open carry

47 9.94%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you support an open carry permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    i don't have a permit, but i can still open carry legally here in my state if i wanted to.

i don't though. people are skittish about that sort of thing nowadays.

i think i was born a century too late lol
    When it comes to being able to defend yourself, who cares whose skittish about it? The criminals carry their guns regardless of what other people think.

2. Remove Ads

me to

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I don't believe in permitting a right.

++1
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

No permits for either, CCW or OC. I could be incorrect but here, at least some areas, (CA.) you can OC but no round in chamber, no magazine inserted, safety on, etc or basically condition 4. In my opinion, carrying an empty piece is somewhat pointless. There are also so many venues that OC is not allowed.
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

Carry without a permit either open or concealed is opening a big can of worms. How will the LE Officers know who is good or bad. The comment most made on here is that "if you are legal to own a firearm you can carry it". Well my question is without a permit how do police know if they are legal? They would have to call for NCIC on everyone that they see carrying. I think the permit makes it easier for LE Officers to make quick work of things and move on to bigger issues. They have enough to do as it is. I in no way see that a peice of paper or plastic is an infringment on our rights, it is a way to make sure that Law Abiding Americans can excercise our right while making the LE Officers job easier. If you have a permit you are good to go and have had an NCIC check, if not then your intentions could be questioned. Just my take on it.

I agree that a right to carry should not require a permit. However, if it were that way, we would have people carrying firearms that have no business near one, and one really important fact, we would not know the GG from the BG. I know there is always the potential that even a licensed CC holder can be a BG too, but they are rare. Unfortunately, the world we live in today is what influences the legislation concerning this and all other aspects in our lives. It is a sad fact that the relatively few people in our society that do bad things, are the ones responsible for the rights of law abiding people being threatened and restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by rstrainii View Post
    Carry without a permit either open or concealed is opening a big can of worms. How will the LE Officers know who is good or bad. The comment most made on here is that "if you are legal to own a firearm you can carry it". Well my question is without a permit how do police know if they are legal? They would have to call for NCIC on everyone that they see carrying. I think the permit makes it easier for LE Officers to make quick work of things and move on to bigger issues. They have enough to do as it is. I in no way see that a peice of paper or plastic is an infringment on our rights, it is a way to make sure that Law Abiding Americans can excercise our right while making the LE Officers job easier. If you have a permit you are good to go and have had an NCIC check, if not then your intentions could be questioned. Just my take on it.

yes slave papers are totally awesome
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

So, in regards to the bolded part above, how will a permit help the police know who is legal or not? I am walking down the street, open carrying my firearm, as I always do, how is a permit going to make any difference at all? So the police can stop me and ask me for my permit, with NO reasonable cause whatsoever? How would you like it if a cop stopped you when he saw you with your children and asked you to prove if those children were legally yours and if you had them legally in your possession?

Absent of any reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed, having just been committed, or about to be committed AND a crime related to my firearm, a LEO is violating my 4th amendment rights by checking the serial number of my gun to see if it is stolen. If I am carrying my firearm in a lawful manner, absent any other activity other than carrying a firearm, what business does LEO have of stopping me and bothering me for anything?

In regards to the underlined portion above, obtaining a permit is an infringement upon the rights of those that desire to carry a firearm for self protection but cannot afford to pay for training and cannot afford to pay the state a tax in order to exercise a right guaranteed by the Constitution.

Carry without a permit either open or concealed is opening a big can of worms. How will the LE Officers know who is good or bad.
    By their actions, of course. Same as always. No pretty piece of paper resolves that puzzle.

Merely having a firearm on you is NOT a criminal act. Nor should it be treated as such. Not in this country. God help us if we get to a point in our society where any person in position of power and authority can claim criminality on a person for simply carrying the means of their own defense. Britain has gone that route. That's an intolerable path that we cannot allow.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

GM
    I believe that people who legally can own a firearm should be allowed to carry without the necessity of having a permit. And yes, I support OC.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Simple vote, simple answer...No!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    To all those who say they oppose OC... I think the founding fathers would NOT support any type of licenses CC or OC... They wrote in the Bill of Rights "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

It doesn't say "... the right of the people to keep and bear arms -with a permit and training classes and practice and you have to be ___ years old, and you can only bring a gun into certain area's and other places like you can't carry and B.S. B.S. B.S...-shall not be infringed."

They wrote it plain and simple so that the average shoe maker, blacksmith, glass blower, shop keeper, etc. etc. could pick up there rifle/shotgun/whatever and protect himself/herself from tyranny and corruption. END OF STORY PERIOD
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I voted NO!!!! I support our RIGHT to keep and BEAR arms. For those that dont have a clue----BEAR means carry.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    I voted NO!!!! I support our RIGHT to keep and BEAR arms. For those that dont have a clue----BEAR means carry.
    And BARE means to open carry!

The Right To Keep And Bear Arms Shall Not Be Infringed.

So simple. So straightforward. So impossible to misinterpret, particularly once the little wrinkle of "the militia" is understood to simply mean "the population of able men." I am of the opinion it therefore can only be concluded that the misinterpretations have been deliberate and are thus heinous and evil in their conception.

The people of the original founding states set down those rights they deemed all people had, inherently, and they proscribed the things the government may not ever do, which included the infringing of the rights of all people to arm themselves and to bear those arms. It's appalling how misconstrued and twisted the interpretations have become through the centuries, while the governing powers have sought to limit the ability of the People to be armed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I voted no. Here in NH, you do not need a permit to OC. You only need a permit to CC.

However..... you DO need a CC permit in order to have a handgun concealed in your car. If you are OC and then step into an automobile with your firearm still OC on your belt, you are in violation of the law. Your firearm is considered "concealed" if it is not within view while seated inside a conveyance. For the $10 shall issue permit here in NH that lasts at least 4 years, it would behoove anyone to ensure they had that CC permit. :)
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links