Do you support an open carry permit? - Page 7

Do you support an open carry permit?

This is a discussion on Do you support an open carry permit? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oc by Permit if that's what you really want,I personally don't see why anyone would want too! If carrying it's more strategic to have your ...

View Poll Results: Do you support open carry with a permit?

Voters
473. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

254 53.70%
  • I don't care as long as it's open carry!!!

61 12.90%
  • I think you should HAVE to have a permit

111 23.47%
  • I don't support open carry

47 9.94%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Oc by Permit if that's what you really want,I personally don't see why anyone would want too! If carrying it's more strategic to have your sidearm concealed,that way no one knows if you have one or where it is,so it gives YOU the edge!The element of surprise!
    When you Oc a BG knows exactly where you gun is and can make his grab for your gun at any given time,waiting for you to be at your worst moment,when you get inattentive for a few seconds we all do it,you can't say,you don't,that's all they need,and a BG will take his time to follow you for any length of time just for that moment! In my opinion OC is just showing off your gun.LEO and Military have to,they have no choice.Civilians have no need to OC there's no real reason for it,if there was an advantage to OC don't you think undercover detectives would use it?Sorry,I know alot will disagree,but to me it's just to showoff,look at me I have a gun on my hip,I'm a cowboy type mentality. Just doesnt make sense to me when you can CC.

TOF
    I would sure like to see some of the real stories, if any exist, about OC guns being stolen off someones hip by a gun stalker. I read this kind of nonsense all the time but never see any actual occurrences detailed.

In the meantime I fully support OC or CC as an individual chooses to do.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECHOONE View Post
    Oc by Permit if that's what you really want,I personally don't see why anyone would want too! If carrying it's more strategic to have your sidearm concealed,that way no one knows if you have one or where it is,so it gives YOU the edge!The element of surprise!
    When you Oc a BG knows exactly where you gun is and can make his grab for your gun at any given time,waiting for you to be at your worst moment,when you get inattentive for a few seconds we all do it,you can't say,you don't,that's all they need,and a BG will take his time to follow you for any length of time just for that moment! In my opinion OC is just showing off your gun.LEO and Military have to,they have no choice.Civilians have no need to OC there's no real reason for it,if there was an advantage to OC don't you think undercover detectives would use it?Sorry,I know alot will disagree,but to me it's just to showoff,look at me I have a gun on my hip,I'm a cowboy type mentality. Just doesnt make sense to me when you can CC.

read the rules

Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.

If you don't like OC then don't do it. Don't make up stories and badmouth those who chose to exercise their rights how they choose.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    You must not read the current laws.... I by law may not CC because of my age... however I OC because I can by law do so and it is better than not carrying at all. Maybe you should look at both sides of the story before your final decision... so what i take from your post is that because I cannot CC that I should not Carry at all? I don't think so I"ll carry when ever and where ever legal to do so to protect myself and loved ones. YOUR NOT going to infringe on my rights that is the governments(devils) work
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    I too, have never heard a story of someones gun being taken by any miscreant or criminal gun-grabber because he was OC-ing. I've OC'd just about my whole adult life and have had no problems with it whatsoever.
    OC or CC, whichever you prefer is your choice. Just don't insult how I choose to carry and I won't insult your lack of common sense, or anything else for that matter.
    Here in Montana, it's legal to OC without a permit anywhere. CC is done without permit if you're outside the city limits. Inside the city limits a permit is needed. If someone doesn't have one and chooses to carry, they do so in a law-abiding manner.
    Don't disrespect those who choose to OC, my guess is that a lot of them (us) have more experience doing so that you do either OC-ing or CC-ing.
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ecorrigan View Post
    I too, have never heard a story of someones gun being taken by any miscreant or criminal gun-grabber because he was OC-ing. I've OC'd just about my whole adult life and have had no problems with it whatsoever.
    OC or CC, whichever you prefer is your choice. Just don't insult how I choose to carry and I won't insult your lack of common sense, or anything else for that matter.
    Here in Montana, it's legal to OC without a permit anywhere. CC is done without permit if you're outside the city limits. Inside the city limits a permit is needed. If someone doesn't have one and chooses to carry, they do so in a law-abiding manner.
    Don't disrespect those who choose to OC, my guess is that a lot of them (us) have more experience doing so that you do either OC-ing or CC-ing.

Well Said I like your common sense....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Hard to believe there are 22 people who don't even support a huge portion of the 2A.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Hard to believe there are 22 people who don't even support a huge portion of the 2A.
    Because I don't agree with open carry, doesn't mean I don't support the 2nd amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by tap22a View Post
    Because I don't agree with open carry, doesn't mean I don't support the 2nd amendment.

Open Carry from court decisions is the right under second amendment.....because under common law it was dishonorable to CC and in most instances illegal and allowed to be restricted this is not so with OC
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    Open Carry from court decisions is the right under second amendment.....because under common law it was dishonorable to CC and in most instances illegal and allowed to be restricted this is not so with OC
    I agree.

I don't see much risk with open carry for anyone who wants to. A felon takes too much of a risk to open carry as too many people including the police are going to identify his carrying a gun and there goes his freedom.

We do tend to think bad guys are stupid just because we don't like them - they are not stupid, just amoral. They won't take stupid risks.

A felon who carries concealed has less risk of being found out but it is still a risk to him. It is not hard for a trained person to spot a concealed carry gun that is not in a good holster, how BGs normally carry. If the cops are out to get you, you need to get rid of the gun fast or again there goes your freedom.

I have no problem with permitted concealed carry as long as open carry is not prevented - it does a good job of weeding out the good from the bad guys and gets the good guys some training.

PATHETIC !! Over 43% of the voters on a pro self defense board are gun control anti self defense fanatics. Confirming my long held suspicion that this board is infiltrated by Brady Bunch supporters and those who have bought the brain washing.
    The poll should have included the Hell freaking NO option
    As my sig says
    Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as dangerous, vile & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Gun permits Gun control does nothing to prevent crime it ONLY protects aids and abets the thugs and rapists. Anyone who thinks other wise needs to grow up, Get The Facts, quit drinking the kool aid or move to england

43% disgusting
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I have not read the whole thread before responding. But these two post exemplify exactly what I was talking about. Both with total disregard for forum rules and decorum perpetuating blatant LIES and brady bunch propaganda. Typical of anti self defense fanatic volunteer victims posting misinformation with no foundation in fact because real world facts do not fit their agenda.

Thankfully a responsible gun owners and 2A advocates can quickly establish that these are blatant lies that have never happened to any law abiding citizen. Pure conjecture lies and myths

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    OC has little tactical advantage for the average citizen. IMHO it is a shoot me first flag. Who wants to be facing the register or cooler at your neighborhood 7-11, etc. and have your local Banger come through the door with his buddy pistols drawn. If you think these perps care at all about you bleeding on the floor you are mistaken. You are only an obstical to what they want. It's a bad *** world out there and every advantage you can give yourself helps to insure your survival. IMO people who OC give up their advantage of stealth, scare the sheep (perhaps that's the point) and will be the first in line for a lethal lead injection if the SHTF. One advantage OC might have is they will draw all the attention and fire while I can get my weapon online. I don't think it should be illegal, I only think it unwise. JMHO.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I voted no, but agree with 2 too??
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Longrider....... Are you freaking serious?

I think you may have to quantify your response. Myself... I voted NO to this poll because I feel that you should NOT have to have ANY permit to carry ANY firearm. Period. I stated the laws as they pertain to NH as the state I live in. OC is 100% legal without a permit in NH as long as you do NOT get into a vehicle. Once in a vehicle, your OC status is, for all intents and purposes, REVOKED! Once in a vehicle, your OC becomes CC and you need a permit. Crap legislation? No doubt. But that's the law.

I don't see where you are coming from with your response. Reading the posts you mention only show me that we have individuals on the board who have opinions on Open Carry and the Pros and Cons of that aspect of carry based on their opinion. I would venture a guess that both the posters you mention are most likely Pro 2A. That's only MHO though.

Step back, relax, and let's come together here and present a united front. Any opening in our defenses leaves ALL of us vulnerable to the lopsided and disgustingly foolish ideals of the "progressives" who think that guns should only be in the hands of the police or the military.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana

Thank you so much!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Links