Do you support an open carry permit?

This is a discussion on Do you support an open carry permit? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't support any type of permit....

View Poll Results: Do you support open carry with a permit?

Voters
473. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

254 53.70%
  • I don't care as long as it's open carry!!!

61 12.90%
  • I think you should HAVE to have a permit

111 23.47%
  • I don't support open carry

47 9.94%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you support an open carry permit?

DCR
    I don't support any type of permit.

2. Remove Ads

Northwest part of God's Country in Montana
    All the licenses/permit the government requires, this is ridiculous!! Driver's license, vehicle license, fishing license, hunting license, state lands usage fee on my hunting license. Licensing my dog, building permit, vehicle inspection permit. And then there's the one's the government wants to force on us.
    When is all of this going to stop?? We don't need no stinkin' permits!! I don't like the fact that I already have to have a CCW permit as it is. States like Alaska and Vermont I think it is, have the right idea. I OC quite often where I live and I feel completely comfortable doing it. No-one has a problem with it and no-one I know thinks it necessary to have an OC or CC permit.
    I guess we can continue to dream. For the time being, the government will try to cram every type of licensing they can down our throats!!
    In a crisis you don't rise to the occasion but rather default to your level of training!

Forgiveness is between them and God, it's my job to arrange the meeting!
    -John W. Creasy (Man on Fire)

My state has always had open carry without a permit. Now they're adding concealed without a permit, too.

I support Constitutional Carry, no permits needed.

And yes, I have a CCW permit as well, and will keep it valid for certain things that will still require it by law, as well as traveling to and through other states that accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    i personally live in a state where open carry and concealed carry requires a LICENSE, not a permit. IMHO, i think that a permit or license is a good idea for any kind of carry, i enjoy my right to carry, and i have OC'ed and CC'ed. The only purpose i can see for a permit or license in general is the fact that it shows that I have passed FBI and ATF background checks as well as the one done by ISPD. Then if asked by a sheep if it is legal or not, i can take out my permit and show them that i am licensed to carry and that it is my right to choose how to do so. This normally results in a conversation about carrying and a possibility to turn a sheep into a sheepdog. Not to mention it puts LEO's at ease during an encounter because someone who open carries without a permit may or may not have obtained their firearm legally, that being said, most criminals won't OC anyway, but some are stupid and do
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    in addition to my earlier comment, i believe in a SHALL issue license or permit, not MAY issue
    May Issue, Shall Issue are both equally vile. Who says we do not have active antis here on this forum? RIGHTS DO NOT require a permit license or certification. My sig. says exactly what I think of that. As long as there are gun owners who advocate for the anti self defense fanatics and volunteer victims our rights will continued to be restricted and denied us.

God or nature gave us these rights. Not the Constitution or any man made law. The Constitution simply enumerates our inalienable rights. Since when are humans qualified to override God or the laws of nature?

All those who support certification, license permits to exercise a God given right aid and abet robbers rapists and murders.

My friend was gunned down while she was waiting for her permit by a murder who did not bother with a permit. All those who supported her requirement to get a permit are as responsible for her death as the maggot that pulled the trigger, because they aided and abetted him. Made sure he would be protected and safe as he murdered a defenseless woman. Made defenseless because of the certification, license, permits you support.

Gun control laws have NEVER prevented a single crime or protected a single law abiding citizen They do protect robbers murders and rapists. Read my sig.

This is the face of one of the women that registration, permits license and certification scheme you are so proud of helped murder. Her name is Rebecca, if you would like to write her family and tell them how glad you are that she waited for the permit you support, I'll send you their address.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    Longrider....... Are you freaking serious?

I think you may have to quantify your response. Myself... I voted NO to this poll because I feel that you should NOT have to have ANY permit to carry ANY firearm. Period. I stated the laws as they pertain to NH as the state I live in. OC is 100% legal without a permit in NH as long as you do NOT get into a vehicle. Once in a vehicle, your OC status is, for all intents and purposes, REVOKED! Once in a vehicle, your OC becomes CC and you need a permit. Crap legislation? No doubt. But that's the law.

I don't see where you are coming from with your response. Reading the posts you mention only show me that we have individuals on the board who have opinions on Open Carry and the Pros and Cons of that aspect of carry based on their opinion. I would venture a guess that both the posters you mention are most likely Pro 2A. That's only MHO though.

Step back, relax, and let's come together here and present a united front. Any opening in our defenses leaves ALL of us vulnerable to the lopsided and disgustingly foolish ideals of the "progressives" who think that guns should only be in the hands of the police or the military.
    +10000% behind you !!
    GDDYUP is right!! Gotta stand together People!!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

To start, I voted wrong. Sorry. Should have been no, I read it wrong.

Since joining this forum, I've changed my opinion on 2A a bit. When I first joined, I thought permits to carry were fine. Now, I'm no longer ok with them. Be it CC or OC, I don't think any permits should be required, or if for some reason one is required, it should be a lifetime permit (let LE revoke it if they have cause).

However, I no longer mind firearm registration, as long as there is not a registration fee.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    +10000% behind you !!
    GDDYUP is right!! Gotta stand together People!!
    I'll stand with anyone who supports the 2nd Amendment and opposes gun control and infringement upon our rights. Against all those who support the anti self defense fanatic Brady Bunch and their ilk. 100% against all those who support Sarah Brady's gun control, registration, certification, permits and licenses. All those are Anti-Constitutional policies advocated by the Brady Bunch gun control fanatics. If you support any of those gun control measures, gun or no gun you support the Brady Bunch. The antis. If you find that distasteful consider not supporting Brady Bunch policies

For to long have our rights been compromised and sold out by those claiming to be pro 2A. If we are to stand together it must be as one against ALL infringements upon our constitutional rights. As long as we have and tolerate sell outs in our midst who continue to forfeit our liberty and rights under the Constitution, we will continue to lose those rights. Vermont Alaska and now Arizona have proven that we can win. We can live in a free nation that respects our God given inalienable RIGHTS as human beings and Free Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    However, I no longer mind firearm registration, as long as there is not a registration fee.
    Registration is the first step to confiscation. It serves no other purpose. If you doubt me ask the those in CA, Washington DC that have had their guns confiscated or the 143,000 Japanese who woke up in concentration camps after being disarmed. Better yet ask a Native American how that gun registration thing worked out for them.

In closing to gddyup Yes I am dead serious I said exactly what I meant. I do not need to rethink or qualify anything I've had fifty years to think about it as I've watched my freedoms and liberty be sold down the creek bit by bit.

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by DarylW View Post
    My state has always had open carry without a permit. Now they're adding concealed without a permit, too.
    I am so jealous of you all down there and incredibly proud of all the Free American Patriots in Arizona who fought to have their rights under the Constitution acknowledged and respected. You all serve as a shining beacon of hope. Proof that Free Americans united can prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    The permit is already in place..........the 2nd Amendment

Yep, what he said.... +1000

Permit, Schmeeeermint....Psssht!

When guns are outlawed....I'll be....an outlaw....
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

re

imho - permits do nothing but provide an income to the states - really nothing more than a tax on your weapon
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

[QUOTE=LongRider;1589885]I'll stand with anyone who supports the 2nd Amendment and opposes gun control and infringement upon our rights. Against all those who support the anti self defense fanatic Brady Bunch and their ilk. 100% against all those who support Sarah Brady's gun control, registration, certification, permits and licenses. All those are Anti-Constitutional policies advocated by the Brady Bunch gun control fanatics. If you support any of those gun control measures, gun or no gun you support the Brady Bunch. The antis. If you find that distasteful consider not supporting Brady Bunch policies

For to long have our rights been compromised and sold out by those claiming to be pro 2A. If we are to stand together it must be as one against ALL infringements upon our constitutional rights. As long as we have and tolerate sell outs in our midst who continue to forfeit our liberty and rights under the Constitution, we will continue to lose those rights. Vermont Alaska and now Arizona have proven that we can win. We can live in a free nation that respects our God given inalienable RIGHTS as human beings and Free Americans.

Registration is the first step to confiscation. It serves no other purpose. If you doubt me ask the those in CA, Washington DC that have had their guns confiscated or the 143,000 Japanese who woke up in concentration camps after being disarmed. Better yet ask a Native American how that gun registration thing worked out for them.

Well said. Throughout history our weapons were a way of life to us, whether they were guns or any other weapon, they were used to both protect and feed our familys. In these modern times the use of guns to feed ourselves is mostly a moot point, but the protection factor is still there. Our rights to use and carry our weapons wasn't ever called into question until the government decided it couldn't completely "control" the population unless it had control of the people's weapons, and it has been trying to further that control ever since. Look at England, Scotland, Australia, etc. they didn't fight for their rights to keep their guns, or even their knives, and now they are totally under their governments' thumb, having to submit to any decrees said governments' make, whether about weapons or anything else. Hopefully the people of this country will never make the same mistake.
    Last edited by SCALPHUNTER; June 11th, 2010 at 03:49 PM.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    The permit is already in place..........the 2nd Amendment
    I like this one!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I don't live in fear of NAZIs taking my registered firearms. It is something to be mindful of. Counting on every gun-owner not to let that happen. Plenty of firearms have been registered without a gun grab. I'm not pro-registration (not because of 2A, but because of a right to privacy...5A).

If firearm laws were not under attack, I might be fine with registration of silencers, select-fire, auto, burst, etc. Assuming the costs (fees) of registration would not equate to defacto prohibition.

For those who want to label people as somehow anti-gun because they might consider some type of registration program, fair enough, because I label you as propaganda driven as those in the brady campaign. Maybe labels are wrong, but it is what we do, to each their own.

I would rather focus on OC and CC carry, no permit required, end of story, per 2A. Registration is a seperate issue, and I would need more information, there would need to be some consideration of cost effectiveness given the problem, in a more 2A friendly world, before I could make that consideration.

I'm sorry if you don't think it pro-2A, just where I stand.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I know this is old, but it's resurfaced, so I thought I'd comment on something.

I agree that a right to carry should not require a permit. However, if it were that way, we would have people carrying firearms that have no business near one,
    Now, you might not think I have any business near a gun. I might think YOU have no business near one.

Which one of us gets to set the standard?
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

I don’t know what to add to this discussion that hasn’t already been said except to say that I find the whole concept of permitting to be elitist in the extreme. It’s a way to exclude those that you deem unworthy from exercising their rights.

California outlawed OC because they were afraid of a bunch of uppity black men who had the audacity to carry firearms for protection from white people. Most “May issue” laws date back to the Jim Crow South and were used to deny Blacks the rights to use firearms to defend themselves against whites. I find it odd that the same sentiment (different group but the same idea) is so prevalent on a supposedly pro RKBA forum.

The mere possession of a firearm by anyone shouldn’t be a crime IMO.
    Criminals already have constitutional carry, they carry when they want, how they want and where they W/ no regard to the wishes of some politician or some self aggrandizing “sheep dog” who thinks his permit makes him one of the chosen.

No Registration
    No Permits
    No NICS
    No Exceptions

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Links