Bay Area OC group member held during TV interview

This is a discussion on Bay Area OC group member held during TV interview within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bay Area group advocates open carry of unloaded guns - 1/05/10 - San Francisco News - abc7news.com LIVERMORE, CA (KGO) -- Walter Stanley was in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bay Area OC group member held during TV interview

Bay Area OC group member held during TV interview

Bay Area group advocates open carry of unloaded guns - 1/05/10 - San Francisco News - abc7news.com

LIVERMORE, CA (KGO) -- Walter Stanley was in the middle of telling an ABC7 News crew about his public effort to exercise his legal right to openly carry an unloaded gun, when Livermore police came calling.

"Put your hands on your head for me please," Officer Fuller shouted to Stanley.

With that, Stanley raised his hands to his head and faced a wall while Fuller and another officer examined the 9mm pistol he had holstered at his side. Down the block, a third Livermore officer with rifle drawn, served as backup while a fourth drove by in a cruiser.

Related Content

Video: ABC7 EXTRA: Police approach Walter Stanley
    "We had some citizens call in," one officer told Stanley before they returned his gun and sent him on his way. "We don't know if you showed up with a loaded gun or not a loaded gun, so we're going to come and check that," said Officer Fuller.

"I think that was a bit much," Stanley would later tell ABC7. "I don't think putting me up against the wall and putting my hands on top of my head is really the type of enforcement we're looking for here in the city of Livermore."

Tuesday's scene in downtown Livermore was just the latest twist for Stanley and the group "Bay Area Open Carry," a loosely-organized band of gun owners who staged a demonstration Saturday at a local coffee shop to publicize the fact that in most of California, it is legal to carry a weapon as long as it is out in the open and unloaded. The gun carrier also has to be at least 1,000 feet from a school.

Stanley carries his unloaded pistol on his right hip with two full ammunition clips on his left.

"I think it's kind of archaic," Livermore resident Grant Balfour told ABC7. He and a friend sat on a nearby bench watching while the officers frisked Stanley. "I don't see any Indians or cowboys running up and down the street. I think it's time to grow up."

"I think that you're asking for trouble if you walk around with an exposed weapon on your hip," Livermore resident Yvonne Douglas said. "Because I think it would be easy for someone to take that away from you."

Others were more sympathetic to Stanley and supportive of his gun-toting efforts.

"He has every right to. It's in our constitution," Livermore resident Tiffany Swensen said.

Stanley says the Open Carry Movement has another demonstration planned for a restaurant in downtown Walnut Creek on Feb. 6.
    (Copyright ©2010 KGO-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

"I think that you're asking for trouble if you walk around with an exposed weapon on your hip," Livermore resident Yvonne Douglas said. "Because I think it would be easy for someone to take that away from you."

Really officer? So how many times has a criminal taken YOUR gun off of you?

My $0.03.

If the report is true ...

Interesting display and use of force, on the part of the responding officers. The "suspect" was having a calm, rational, sit-down interview with a news crew. If that basic, uncontested fact is true, then it's practically impossible that the situation could be construed as anything other.

The person was OBVIOUSLY, to anyone observing, having a simple discussion with a news crew. There was NO threat, NO threatening behavior, NO fear on the part of the news crew members, NO justification for cuff-and-stuff. There was only the phone call by a person who only saw Man+Gun, which I am assuming was fearful and full of lies about the demeanor of the "suspect," since there isn't anything in the behavior or the situation that justifies a full-blown cuff-and-stuff. Other than the fact it was California, that is.

One would think trained officers would have sufficient initiative and intellect to gauge such a simple situation, instead of taking a call as if it were evidence in spite of what is staring them in the face as they approach the scene.

Gads, it's as if they don't realize that carry of firearms is perfectly LEGAL in the state. Though, of course they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Really officer? So how many times has a criminal taken YOUR gun off of you?
    FYI -- A resident of Livermore said that, not an officer. Very likely, the person making such a comment has not carried a firearm ever in her life.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    One would think trained officers would have sufficient initiative and intellect to gauge such a simple situation, instead of taking a call as if it were evidence in spite of what is staring them in the face as they approach the scene.
    Ya' think? Pretty poor police work, IMHO...if you call that work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

We have so far to go....

This was obviously meant to discourage the movement through intimidation and harassment, nothing more. Not to be mistaken for real police work.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    This was obviously meant to discourage the movement through intimidation and harassment, nothing more. Not to be mistaken for real police work.

A lot of that goes on.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

"I think it's kind of archaic," Livermore resident Grant Balfour told ABC7. He and a friend sat on a nearby bench watching while the officers frisked Stanley. "I don't see any Indians or cowboys running up and down the street. I think it's time to grow up."
    Typical response from the ill-informed North American Ostrich...

Really? Can we say projection?
    "Someone could manhandle me and take my firearm from me therefore everyone must be in the same boat..."
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'm an upstanding person, therefore by definition I am not looking for trouble. Not if I'm wearing green; decide to carry a fanny pack; opt to openly carry on a given day; or decide to drive across the border to the neighboring state. Criminals look for trouble. I hope to not find it.

As for ease of having a gun stolen, it's certain that displaying something presents it in full view to people who would desire to take it, sure. Reality is, taking a gun from someone is about as easy as taking a person's shoes. It's not as though it happens any more than a few times in a year, amongst a few million people carrying. Statistically, that's not even worth mentioning. So, it can be taken. So what? That activity should be made illegal and criminal, because of that rare possibility? Such heavy-handed arrogance to level the law like a two-by-four over the necks of upstanding citizens is simply unnecessary. Upstanding citizens and this mode of carry is neither a threat nor intimidation, nor intended as such, nor is it any riskier than the remote possibility of getting struck by lightning.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just what I would expect in Kalifornia.

Good job for those pressing for their 2A rights to be recognized!

I like how the pin head with the Australian accent says the guy who was carrying needs to grow up. Really? Then why are you living in a country where we have the 2nd amendment? Why not go back to your dusty crappy country and live completely free from any chance of owning a gun?

God I hate it when some moron from another country tries to tell us how we ought to act. If you want to live here, accept that we have the right to bear arms or get out. Go home if you don't agree with our freedoms.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I think that you're asking for trouble if you walk around with an exposed weapon on your hip," Livermore resident Yvonne Douglas said. "Because I think it would be easy for someone to take that away from you.
    Really? This woman believes that it would be easy for someone to try to take a fully visible firearm away from it's owner? And, presumably, then use that firearm to commit a crime?

Well, for clarity's sake, let us suppose that someone HAD the intention to walk up to someone else and take (by force or threat of force) the "victim's" property. That "taking" is a CRIME already. And, if you're going to commit a crime, it's probably a ton easier to "take" the purse of the woman than it is to take the gun of the open carrier.

Now for the reality check, of the 2 crimes which do you think will get the thief a "net gain" with the least amount of work and risk - the purse or the gun?

The woman's statement is beyond insipid.

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    I think what's archaic here is the thought that anyone with a weapon is a cowboy.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I am so glad that I moved out of this liberal cesspool.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

It's not like there is an easy option of carrying concealed, unless you're a well connected politician or Hollywood star.

The news story was pretty well balanced and allowed the OC'r to present his case well, and cleary demonstrated the uphill battle being fought by our California brethren. It would have been good if he had asked the officer, on camera, to articulate what crime he was suspected of having committed to have been subject to detention and warrantless search/seizure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links