first time open carry

first time open carry

This is a discussion on first time open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I finally opened carry today for the first time. I went to go get some food went to a Chinese take out that was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time open carry

first time open carry

OK I finally opened carry today for the first time. I went to go get some food went to a Chinese take out that was semi busy and a KFC. Mostly what I saw was most people didnt even notice my gun and the ones that did didnt care still feel funny walking around with it. I dont think I am ready for the wally world walk.
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

There's always a first time; the next one will be easier. Congrats!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I feel frogy enough I just have visions of cops surrounding me with guns drawn lol
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

Dress nice and carry yourself well. Know your state laws and be confident in the fact that you are lawfully carrying. In the event that you are questioned by someone, you should be able to articulately communicate your state laws regarding carrying. You may encounter an LEO that isn't well versed on OC. With thousands of laws, they can't know them all inside and out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhunter65 View Post
    OK I finally opened carry today for the first time. I went to go get some food went to a Chinese take out that was semi busy and a KFC. Mostly what I saw was most people didnt even notice my gun and the ones that did didnt care still feel funny walking around with it. I dont think I am ready for the wally world walk.
    I OC (Open Carry) all the time seeing how I'm not old enough to CC (Carry Concealed)

I notice the more people there are, the less they notice because nobody has good SA (Self Awareness) Wally World Will be a piece of cake.. I do Meijer's, Sam's Club, Costco, Krogers: all really big places and no problems.... sorry about the (....) sometimes all the short words are confusing.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Typical experience in OC. Most people are so deep into condition atomic white that they never notice that you have an openly carried hand gun on.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

hahaha, atomic white...stolen.

I envisioned cops surrounding me the first time I OCed, but people really don't notice whats in front of their face.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Dress nice and carry yourself well. Know your state laws and be confident in the fact that you are lawfully carrying. In the event that you are questioned by someone, you should be able to articulately communicate your state laws regarding carrying. You may encounter an LEO that isn't well versed on OC. With thousands of laws, they can't know them all inside and out.
    +1000.........good advice
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Sweet, one more for the NC cause! What part of NC? I've had no problems with LEO's around the Hickory area. Dealt with a few on different occasions. I had one issue with a WM assistant mgr. Finally got that squared away. I was told I could carry anytime now.

it will get easier I guarantee ya, dont think about it so much and just go do it. You will forget all about being uptight and nervous.

Congrats, may you have many more great days OC'ing

VIP Member
    I feel frogy enough I just have visions of cops surrounding me with guns drawn lol
    That could still happen in this state with our law about going armed to the terror of the public; so be careful and do your research on where to and not open carry.

While it gets easier just don't let your SA go down.

Yah, I know how you felt. Happened to me the first time I went to Wally forgetting my pants at home.

Just kidding (it wasn't Wally), but even into the hardware store in a very small mountain town made me feel like I was play acting like some cowboy western - "outa my way pilgrim!".

The real story is that I started carrying after seeing very large and only minutes old mountain lion tracks that had been stalking me in the snow. My returning down the trail scared it off. Seeing the tracks scared me worse! When I mentioned it to an old timer he could not believe I was up there unarmed. Heck I just went up the mountain to hug a tree.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Dress nice and carry yourself well.
    Hello to all. How well dressed is "nice"? I normally CC because I would rather not become involved in a scenario where I might be confronted. I know my rights and have my GFL as well as my Military ID which in GA as I understand also allows me to OC. I just am not the biggest people person and dont think I would be able to articulate the laws in a way that would be non confrontational. I have OCed before but that was just on my way to the range and it didnt help my buddy is strictly a CC person and he gave me hell about looking like John Wayne. I normally wear jeans or shorts and a t shirt or polo. I am clean cut (military and all) but do wear my clothes a bit baggy as that is the style I prefer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links