Incident When Leaving OC Breakfast

This is a discussion on Incident When Leaving OC Breakfast within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I don't OC, but have enjoyed attending several OC breakfasts here in MN. Mainly I find it fun to be among people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incident When Leaving OC Breakfast

First of all, I don't OC, but have enjoyed attending several OC breakfasts here in MN. Mainly I find it fun to be among people who think like me, and to yak about holsters, pistols, carry methods, etc.

So, I'm with two friends at the last event. As we are gathering up to leave I offer to walk out and start up my buddy's van...it's nice to get into a vehicle that's warmed up!

It's Saturday morning in a downtown area and the van is parked on the street about 1/2 block from the entrance. As I start it up I see a tall fellow approaching a few people on the sidwalk--by their reactions I can tell he's asking for something and they are declining.

He walks to the door heading into the breakfast room. I chuckle to myself, thinking he's gonna be shocked when he sees about 70 people still remaining there all openly carrying.

He walks in and then reappears within a a short time, maybe 15 seconds or so. He spots me and like a laser is headed my way (no, he wasn't "invited" by any eye contact!).

I'm standing outside the van, drivers side, in the street. He leaves the sidewalk and angles right at me. Knowing he's coming anyway I now make eye contact at about 30 feet or so, undo the one button I had fastened on my leather coat and think through how I'll proceed should I need to draw.

At about 15-20 feet he makes some dramatic, almost theatrical, gestures. Greeting look on the face, right hand fully extended to shake mine and left hand partially extended holding this huge keyring (likely 20+ keys on it, almost "jailer" looking...heh).

"Hi, I'm Ervin and the wheel broke on my car, can you help me out? It's down there". He makes a very general gesture in some direction, not very specific as to where his car is. With his left hand he displays the huge keyring as if to prove he has a car. As he speaks I raise my left hand, extend a "stop" signal with my palm and non-verbally fend him off and send him on his way. His look is one of surprised disappointment and frustration with me, bordering on anger or expressing being offended, but he walks off.

He then angles behind the van, across the sidewalk and into the first row of a parking lot. There he approaches a friend of mine, taps on his drivers window, says something I can't hear, is obviously sent on his way and heads on down the street.

Pretty good actor, for I left wondering if he was indeed having some trouble and I wasn't being much of a Good Samaritan. But overall I felt I had done the cautious and right thing by immediatly rebuffing what I'll call his "buddy buddy" approach.

So yesterday I visit a local gun shop with a friend, the same fellow that was approached while in his car. I hadn't talked with him since then, so asked him what happened. He said the guy tapped on his window just as he was about to start his car, asking for directions...no talk of the "broken wheel"! My friend sent him on his way as he backed out of his parking spot.

The differing approaches confirmed that this guy was up to no good. Maybe not a robbery, but at a minimum looking for some "help" in the form of a little cash, a ride, whatever.

Not truly an OC encounter on my part, since my Beretta was covered by my coat. The OC part was when he entered the breakfast room...I'd love to have seen his reaction to all the openly displayed firepower in that room! Would have been an instant YouTube hit.

Lesson learned--always listen to my spidey sense!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Interesting. The fact that he made you wonder if he was legit after your encounter shows just how well some of these people work their line(s) of BS.

Good instincts.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Good thinking on your part. I rather come as a ____________ (fill the blank with whatever word you think the other guy may use) than being caught off guard.
    Mossberg 500A
    Savage 93R17 FV
    Ruger P95DC

The wheel broke on his car? How do you break a wheel?
    Certainly there were many places where this 'con artist' could have entered to use a PHONE.

You made Ervin exit early...excellent!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Where are these OC breakfasts? I'd be interested in attending.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Good job!

I am a tire sales man, I see LOTS of crazy things happen to vehicles. Breaking a wheel would take extreme impact and i doubt he would have been asking for a ride more like an ambulance.

Glad to see you were smart and he left you alone.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

GM
    I think that you acted in the right way
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Most beggars will start the encounter with general small talk or with something that will make you feel sorry for them (car's broke, out of gas, need directions, etc.) After they get you to let your guard down they start asking for money.

After being a truck driver for a few years and being in some of the biggest craphole truck stops in the country I've just about seen it all.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ecrist View Post
    Where are these OC breakfasts? I'd be interested in attending.
    I think this is one in Kentucky...google it.
    Bill and Izzie: Proud parents of a soldier.
    I thought of you all day today when I was at the zoo.

Interesting. The "prop", in his case, the keys, must be one of their tricks -of-the-trade.

A long time ago, near LAX, my girlfriend and I were approached by a dude, a crackhead I'm guessing by his appearance and demeanor, looking for a couple bucks to fix his broken fan belt, which he was holding in one of his hands.

The fan belt looked like it had been run over a million times, and left bleaching in the sun for a few hot summers. I guess THAT'S why it broke, yeah. He only gave up on us after about 3 or 4, increasingly stern "Sorry, No's!"

We were on layover, and she wanted to go for a walk. I tried to convince her that this wasn't necessarily the best place in America to go for a stroll but she wouldn't budge, as Taiwanese in general tend to be very stubborn. (an endearing trait, most times)
    I'd kill for a picture of the look on her face during or briefly after the encounter. We hadn't walked a half block down the street before we were approached. After he left all I could do was look at my girl, giving her the "see, I told you so" shrug.
    Made for a great start to our relationship, though, as we've been married over 12 years and though I can't say she listens to me right away, I think she listens to me sooner because of it, har har.

Anyway, yeah, watch out for guys with "props". I think they fall into the "too much information" type of lie.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny256 View Post
    Good job!

I am a tire sales man, I see LOTS of crazy things happen to vehicles. Breaking a wheel would take extreme impact and i doubt he would have been asking for a ride more like an ambulance.

Glad to see you were smart and he left you alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The wheel broke on his car? How do you break a wheel?
    Certainly there were many places where this 'con artist' could have entered to use a PHONE.

You made Ervin exit early...excellent!
    Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    Most beggars will start the encounter with general small talk or with something that will make you feel sorry for them (car's broke, out of gas, need directions, etc.) After they get you to let your guard down they start asking for money.

After being a truck driver for a few years and being in some of the biggest craphole truck stops in the country I've just about seen it all.

^^^YEP^^^TO^^^ALL^^^OF^^THESE^^^

Its sad that out of the people that he encounters,20,30-50??
    someone will just get fed up with him and throw money at him, to get him out of their presence;; not thinking that once they get the wallet out it could become a robbery at any time. NO SA.

We live in an age when pizza gets to your home before the police.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    One thing I have learned in these situations is you can generally tell when someone is in need of real help. If your gut tells you something isn't right, then something isn't right. My gut feeling has never steered me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wkientz1 View Post
    I think this is one in Kentucky...google it.
    Nope, he said MN, which is where I'm from.
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

I believe this breakfast was at the Effin Gopher Bar.. there's another thread about it in here somewhere.

-Damien

Another good example of how being situationally aware gave you time to size the guy up and prepare how you were going to handle him once he got to you. Good job.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links