FL permit in TN

FL permit in TN

This is a discussion on FL permit in TN within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have my concealed carry permit here in FL. I will be going to TN next month where OC is legal. My question is, "Will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FL permit in TN

FL permit in TN

I have my concealed carry permit here in FL. I will be going to TN next month where OC is legal. My question is, "Will my FL permit allow me to OC in TN?" BTW, I've got a new OWB holster on its way from K&D that should be here around the time I leave that I would love to take with me.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Technically, you're good to go. TN accepts all other state permits.
    However...I personally wouldn't OC on an out of state permit. It takes only one misunderstanding with a LEO who does not have the facts completely straight to ruin your day.

Most LEO's are great, but as you've probably noticed here, some need some additional training in regards to carry laws.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Don't let the fact that some cops don't know their butt from a hole in the ground keep you from exercising your rights. I OC around the memphis area, and see others do it all the time.

Go for it.
    Last edited by rstickle; January 27th, 2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Language work arounds are NOT permitted

Dan, public and LE perception to OC vary by area. All I'm saying, is legal or not, be ready to be hassled if the OP does it. Having an out of state permit may add to the wasted time dealing with an officer who is mis informed.

Do it if you like, but don't be surprised to be approached.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

How often do you, or others, get hassled by LEO for OC? I'm not going to be wearing a sign that says "I'm from out of town please check my permit". But at the same time I understand what your saying that it could cause an issue if I were to be asked. BTW, I'll be in the Murfreesboro and S. Nashville areas.

Quote Originally Posted by lowgroove View Post
    How often do you, or others, get hassled by LEO for OC? I'm not going to be wearing a sign that says "I'm from out of town please check my permit". But at the same time I understand what your saying that it could cause an issue if I were to be asked. BTW, I'll be in the Murfreesboro and S. Nashville areas.
    I don't get to either place alot, nor do I OC alot.
    But in some towns, it's more accepted than others, even if you keep a low profile.

For instance, I used to live in Knoxville, and didn't OC there at all, as I had several friends approached regularly after citizens complained/called in "man with a gun".

Where I live now, most folks wouldn't bat an eye.

Maybe someone else from MB/Nash will chime in.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I have never been hassled by a LEO for OC while out and about. I also live in the Memphis Metro are. I am in the suburbs.

You are 100% legal to OC here if you want. But I would also be aware of the fact that attitudes toward OC vary from area to are in TN. In Shelby County, the Sheriffs Dept is trained extensively the civilian OC is legal but the Memphis Police Dept. (the worst Police Dept. in the USA as far as I am concerned) is not given the same level of training.

I have also heard that the Nashville PD isn't that familiar with the fact that OC is legal.

What part of TN will you be visiting?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The law was written to protect you from having your permit pulled if the wind blew your coat back and exposed the weapon accidentaly... However, to make that effective, it is Open Carry in the absolute.
    If you open carry in Nashville you can expect it to be called in and to be questioned with some possible "rough handling" of yourself in the process. I think they will honor your FL permit but please consider that this city is already plagued with way more crime than the police can handle and like any of us mortals they can become exasperated with a call that takes them from controlling/working open criminal scenes.
    I welcome you to the Volunteer State with your ability to help us stay safe...but I would ask you please reconsider obvious open carry within the city if only in as much as to make your stay pleasant and help us residents keep our carry restrictions as minimal as possible.
    Nashville is where all the squawk started over our new "carry in restaurants" law ending up with a judge pronouncing it unconstitutional and now we start over. Some very hoplophobic people there but they are quite politically connected in Nashville.
    Thanks for considering my view point and enjoy the great state of Tennessee!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Your FL permit is as good as a TN permit in TN...just know the laws and your rights clearly...enjoy the trip.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Glad this question was posted. I visit TN (technically Arkansas, but spend more time in the Memphis area) 3 times a year, last year I did not go armed, but this year, I plan to. This gives me some info to think about.

Not to threadjack, but are there any issues carrying into rest areas, more specifically OC'ing?
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Not to threadjack, but are there any issues carrying into rest areas, more specifically OC'ing?
    Handgunlaw.us This link is where I go for all of my traveling out of state questions.It can be used for the OP as well, but it seems residents have got it covered.

Thanks for all of the feedback. It is a rare occasion when I tuck a shirt in, so I won't be brazenly displaying a gun anyway. That being said, I may carry OWB with an open jacket for cover. I just want to make sure I won't be breaking any laws if my gun is spotted. I always enjoy my visits to TN, I would like to continue to do so.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If you want to OC, use your Tennessee visit as that opportunity. Nobody really cares. Here, there is no legal difference in OC and CC.

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    No-gos:
    1. School (K-12, postsecondary, or property thereof)
    2. Court
    3. Establishments that sell open containers of alcohol
    4. Properly posted area.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I'm not going to be wearing a sign that says "I'm from out of town please check my permit".
    You're a fellow South Floridian, so I'll put it this way. Can't you tell when somebody you bump into "isn't from around here"? I know I can. I can spot the tourists and out of towners that come here from Tennessee a mile off, so I'd wager to guess we might stick out to them a bit too. The flip flops would give me away .
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    I would ask you please reconsider obvious open carry within the city if only in as much as to make your stay pleasant and help us residents keep our carry restrictions as minimal as possible.
    What's the point in having rights if you are too scared to practice them? Thats like saying don't carry a gun at all because we wouldn't want to lose the right to bear arms.

I understand Nashville may be different from Memphis, but if everyone is too scared to OC "cause the cops might hassle me" then why would you care if its legal or not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links