OC in Virginia

This is a discussion on OC in Virginia within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MoHawk Where exactly are you? I'm in Alexandria, VA. 22302...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OC in Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
    Where exactly are you?
    I'm in Alexandria, VA. 22302

2. Remove Ads

Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Welcome to the forum from the Richmond area.

As long as the weapon is recognizable as a weapon you are not concealed.

As for carrying loaded, yes you can carry your weapon fully loaded, either concealed (when your permit arrives) or openly. You just can't be "loaded"!
    Thanks for the welcome,

You almost got me with the can't be "loaded" lol. I realize that this is where I could really get into trouble. It's not okay to carry at all after even a sip of alcohol right? A few beers wouldn't be even near intoxicated for me but I'd still be in the wrong correct?

I got my CHP in Alexandria with no problem. The clerk couldn't have been nicer. But Va. was a may issue state back then.

Obviously things have changed.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Yes. You would still be in the wrong. Can't say it's a rule I've always followed, but I've personally witnessed people haev that bite them
    Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward, and freedom will be defended

VIP Member
    Revocation, Suspension, or Surrender of Permit

Any person who has a felony charge pending or a charge pending for an offense that would be a disqualification for a permit who holds a concealed handgun permit may have such permit suspended by the court before which the charge is pending.

Any person convicted of an offense that would disqualify that person from obtaining a permit or who makes a false statement in an application shall forfeit his permit to the court, or shall be subject to suspension or revocation of the permit.

Any person with a concealed handgun permit shall be prohibited from carrying any concealed firearm, and shall surrender his or her permit to the court entering the order for the duration of any protective order pursuant to 18.2-308.1:4.

Any person granted a concealed handgun permit who is under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs while carrying such weapon in a public place shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    I have not been able to find a references as to "under the influence" I would assume it is .08 the same as for driving.

There is no "360" rule...would be impossible, unless you clear-taped it to the top of your head

I first started OCing in restaurants in VA with an IWB holster (didn't have an OWB holster yet). As long as your gun is visible, and recognizable as a gun, it's "open carry".

As the law is silent on open carry, the only way to be legal is NOT conceal it (until you have your CHP).

Also, VA law does NOT require you to notify LEOs....VA law is silent on this requirement, thus, you don't need to say a thing. Others might say the LEO will know you have a CHP during a traffic spot--unless you don't have your vehicles registered in VA (being military).

Another good idea to stay current on changes in VA gun laws is to join the Virginia Citizens Defense League (Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL))
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Are aware that OC is legal in restaurants that serve alcohol, nothing under current law says you cannot drink while OC'ing in those establishments. If the proposed law for allowing CC in restaurants that serve alcohol passes, as written, consumption would be prohibited.

Yes. You would still be in the wrong. Can't say it's a rule I've always followed, but I've personally witnessed people haev that bite them
    Honestly this is the only unlawful thing I could possibly see myself doing (concerning carrying firearms). I mean I'm not going to get hammered and head out the door with a weapon but it might be hard to remember after only one or two

Thanks a lot, that's literally right down the road from me. Might look into this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    There is no "360" rule...would be impossible, unless you clear-taped it to the top of your head

I first started OCing in restaurants in VA with an IWB holster (didn't have an OWB holster yet). As long as your gun is visible, and recognizable as a gun, it's "open carry".

As the law is silent on open carry, the only way to be legal is NOT conceal it (until you have your CHP).

Also, VA law does NOT require you to notify LEOs....VA law is silent on this requirement, thus, you don't need to say a thing. Others might say the LEO will know you have a CHP during a traffic spot--unless you don't have your vehicles registered in VA (being military).

Another good idea to stay current on changes in VA gun laws is to join the Virginia Citizens Defense League (Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL))
    I don't have a good holster yet but it looks like as long as a competent human being could reasonably spot and identify the weapon it's open carry. I was surprised that VA doesn't require people to notify officers. I assumed this was mandatory, good info there. I was checking out VCDL, looks like a great organization. I'm all for protecting the 2nd amendment and any other right granted to U.S. citizens. I'm actually waiting on my NRA membership to go through but I don't foresee any issues with that.

Sounds like you are on the right track. On 3 firearms forums myself, just joined the NRA, member of the VCDL, and military...

Sounds like you are on the right track. On 3 firearms forums myself, just joined the NRA, member of the VCDL, and military...
    Well you got me with the VCDL but I'm Army and awaiting NRA. Thanks for you help man, much appreciated.

What's up with the Jack Daniels avi though? Jim Beam all the way!! lol

I ride with Iron Order. Our official drinks are PBR and JD. I personally am a bigger Jim fan, but don't tell my boys that

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RunawayGun View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't aware of the "360" part.
    To solve that, you need to OC 4 guns on your waist, so the are visible from all angles

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links