You get with OC... - Page 2

You get with OC...

This is a discussion on You get with OC... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i get noticed a lot, mostly because i'm hispanic in a largely white city. i've had some issues with police giving me a hard time, ...

View Poll Results: Your Most Common Reaction (or not) To OC?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • They don't notice/No reaction

40 45.45%
  • They notice/No reaction

37 42.05%
  • They Notice/Questions get asked

8 9.09%
  • They Notice/Freak out, Call Cops/Authorities

3 3.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i get noticed a lot, mostly because i'm hispanic in a largely white city. i've had some issues with police giving me a hard time, and every time i OC, i always get some busybody who feels the need the give me their unsolicited opinion.

I do not and never will open carry, but on that note it is very accepted here in VT especially in the northern part of the state. I see it ALOT and people are used to it. a large majority of Vermont's population carries a gun, no one complains because everyone is carrying one themselves.

We have the most lax approach to guns in the country and we average 1 murder a year. yea The largest city is only 38,000 people and the whole state is only 1 million. 1 murder a year in a place where anyone can carry a concealed gun without registering it is pretty damn good I must say. More proof that guns are not a problem and why people shouldn't worry about OC when they see it. If someone plans on doing you harm or committing a crime I can assure you, you will not know there armed until it's go time.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
    As far as I knew, Wal-Mart wouldn't sell you ammo if they could see your weapon or knew you had it on you.
    That doesn't really serve a purpose IMO. I was buying Remington .40 S&W FMJ, but already had 12 Federal Hydrashok in the mag. I'm could do more damage with what's already on my side... I had no issues. The clerk either didn't see my side arm, or just didn't care. But I stood there for a good 5 minutes or more waiting patiently, so there was plenty of time for numerous emplyees to raise a fuss if they were inclined to do so.

Now if someone came into a Walmart with their shotgun or rifle looking to buy ammo, i can see why someone might hesitate.. But a holstered handgun seems to be less of a worry to me.. Maybe i'm just wierd like that. What would be the point in carrying a rifle into the store just to buy ammo?
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
    As far as I knew, Wal-Mart wouldn't sell you ammo if they could see your weapon or knew you had it on you. That is how it is here and I have to pull out the badge (damn I hate doing that).
    That is not WM corporate policy. A letter or email to Corporate HQ will result in the management of that WM getting "re-educated" on policy as well as an apology to you.

The only exception would be if there is some state law prohibiting sales to armed individuals.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

While we are on the topic of OCing at Wal-mart and buying ammo....

This is one of 2 times I got a reaction to my OCing, otherwise nobody ever seems to notice.

So it was probably around 8 or 9 pm and I was at Wal-Mart and went back to the firearms counter. I was standing there waiting for somebody to come help me, when a younger guy and gal who work there were walking by. I stepped out in front of him and asked if he could help me. He saw my gun and darn near jumped back and started running! Then I ask him if he can check for some 9mm ammo for me, and man was he nervous the entire time! Face was just red and he was starting to sweat and oh it was just hilarious.

It was great, I laughed to myself about that one all night.

But I've never had a problem there while trying to buy ammo while OCing.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Most often, either they don't notice, or they notice and don't react. Of the few who react, more give me a wider berth than say anything. Of those who speak, only a couple have been rude - most are just curious.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    Alot of OC only once the cops were called, I find OC is a good conversation starter.
    Yep, strange women walk up and start talking to you about guns and DC.com
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Yep, strange women walk up and start talking to you about guns and DC.com
    Hey! I like strange women.

I married one...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I checked "They notice/No reaction".

My significant other will walk into a room and all eyes are on his weapon, people watch where he goes, etc. When I walk in a room I normally get a few nods and glances but nothing showing nervousness. The other week we went into a small town sub shop and got a table. The waitress saw his gun and told him the cook said its "wrong" to carry open. When he politly explained it's legal to carry in NC she left the topic. Later when he went to the restroom I ordered for us drinks and she eyed my gun, nodded and asked if I was new to the police force in town. Its almost like women are assumed to be LEOs or military if you carry, even in plain clothes.

Or perhaps a 5'4 chick isn't assumed to be a packing threat compared to some 6'foot something male. Either way, I think it's interesting the gender differences that come out when OCing.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
    That doesn't really serve a purpose IMO. I was buying Remington .40 S&W FMJ, but already had 12 Federal Hydrashok in the mag. I'm could do more damage with what's already on my side... I had no issues. The clerk either didn't see my side arm, or just didn't care. But I stood there for a good 5 minutes or more waiting patiently, so there was plenty of time for numerous employees to raise a fuss if they were inclined to do so.

Now if someone came into a Walmart with their shotgun or rifle looking to buy ammo, i can see why someone might hesitate.. But a holstered handgun seems to be less of a worry to me.. Maybe i'm just wierd like that. What would be the point in carrying a rifle into the store just to buy ammo?
    What, nothing in the chamber? Were you carrying UUOC? (Utah unloaded OC)

As to the poll, I voted that they don't notice/no reaction.

Once in a while, someone notices, but most don't.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; January 29th, 2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    I have found that the body language and poise used in conjunction with OC makes all the difference.

Don't act embarrassed or awkward, but don't be overbearing or issue non-verbal "dares" to question your actions.

That is pretty much my thought on the matter. I am so used to it that I don't have it being there on my mind, so I don't throw out any weird body language for people to pick up on and worry about. Just my theory though.
    Due to it's content the posting above should not have been read by anyone.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
    --[William Ralph Inge(1860-1954)]

I've been to WalMart several times while OCing...never an issue. Went to Big5 Sporting Goods to look at some shotguns, and there was a guy trying to impress his girlfriend at the counter. He asked for a knife, and the clerk would not let him hold it. His response was "No one is going to know." The clerk said in a firm tone "That is against the law" and sort of looked in my direction. The guy looked and muttered what sounded like "aw sh*t", and got out of there. I pretended not o notice, but I thought it was funny.
    "Most people respect the badge. Everybody respects the gun."

I guess some people notice. I've had a few "Can I do that too?" "Do you need a permit to carry like that?" "What kind of gun is that", type questions. I've also had a few "Good to see someone open carrying" comments too. The absolute WORST thing anyone ever said was "Did you know you pistol is cocked?" I explained that it was a 1911 and was perfectly safe that way. He replied "Learn something new every day" and went back to pumping his gas.

But I think most people don't notice. Frankly I don't pay close enough attention to most people to notice either for the most part. I have from time to time seen someone else OCing, but I don't look for it.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    I do not and never will open carry, but on that note it is very accepted here in VT especially in the northern part of the state. I see it ALOT and people are used to it. a large majority of Vermont's population carries a gun, no one complains because everyone is carrying one themselves.
    Vermont had 17 murders in 2008. I doubt that dropped to 1 in 2009. Regardless, I am sure there were countless murders that went undetected/unreported/unsolved.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    I've open carried here in PA for the last 2 years without incident. Though I am fairly certain during the last presidential election, when I brought my girlfriend to her place of polling, the state police were called on me. I was questioned by people outside handing out information for their candidate about the legality of it. I informed them it was in fact entirely legal to carry a firearm at a place of polling. As my girlfriend and I were leaving, a state trooper pulled into the parking lot, walked over to the crowd that confronted me. I was already leaving though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links