Open Carry Noob, Critique My Attire

This is a discussion on Open Carry Noob, Critique My Attire within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess you could say that I've never open carried. I have a Bianchi paddle for use when I go shooting but it's only on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Noob, Critique My Attire

Question Open Carry Noob, Critique My Attire

I guess you could say that I've never open carried. I have a Bianchi paddle for use when I go shooting but it's only on from home, to there and back home again. If I was going to go somewhere else along the way, I would switch to a Crossbreed IWB rig.

I've read threads talking about people's reactions and have read advice that you should look presentable if you do decide to OC. That's where my question comes in. I wouldn't say I resemble a BG but I dress a little casual. My daily attire consists of Levis, an undershirt and a button up shirt made by Columbia, Eddie Bauer, that type of thing. My wife calls them "lumberjack" shirts I guess because they're always some type of plaid design. I NEVER tuck in the outer shirt even though the Crossbreed is tuckable. The shoes I wear are nothing unusual. Usually either the low cut Timberland boot style or some other similar thing. Facial hair normally a beard or patch on my chin. I'm going on and on here so I'll get to the point...

Nothing about my dress indicates LEO, nor do I dress what you would call "neat" or "official". I don't want to scare the sheep but I believe in supporting the cause of helping get society used to OC. I'll go ahead tuck in the shirt when OC but looking like some kind of bearded Colorado mountain man going out in public, I don't know what type of reaction to expect. The goal here is to avoid MWAG calls. Based on what I've described on how I dress, what do you think the reaction will be?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I personally don't change my mode of dress when OC'ing. My work dress is Wranglers, work boots and Dickie T-shirts. My dress when not at work is Wranglers, a polo shirt and Roper boots. In other words I dress for comfort and functionality. Not to impress the sheep of the world. Very rarely has anyone ever mentioned my gun or even acted like they've seen it. Never had a MWAG call.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I used to dress nicer while I OC'd. Not anymore. Jeans, untucked shirt, tennis shoes, and a hat are my usual wardrobe. Summer is shorts and a t shirt. I have OC'd in my dirty yard work clothes or my work on my car clothes. Never had a MWAG call. The one problem I had with a store Mgr would have happened regardless of my dress. He was of the thought process that only LEO's should have guns.

The way you carry yourself is just as important. Remember the Han Solo line, "I don't know, just fly casual." Be nice, smile, talk to folks like you normally would, and act like you have every right to be there armed. If you act like you will have a problem you just might get one. Act like you belong and folks will treat you like you belong.

Good luck.

I'll ask- but only because I have a black friend with a CC permit and everytime he encounters authorities it goes badly, if he were to open carry there would certainly be trouble- For instance, I get pulled over for speeding and all goes well. He gets pulled over for speeding and is carrying and he gets cuffed, everytime.
    Are you white? I wouldn't even consider open carry if I were black.
    To me your manner of dress seems pretty straight forward and unlikely to cause trouble.

I like the "I don't know, just fly casual" line chiefjason. Think I'll give it a go as-is and see how it works out.

Sucks to hear about the profiling on your friend Maddyfish. I am mostly Mexican but I don't fit the profile. Light skin, med brown hair. Most people guess that I'm white (or French or Italian for some reason). I think profiling is a non-issue.

As far as holsters, my Bianchi is nylon and has adjustable cant and a thumb break and is fairly comfortable. But would something in kydex or leather have any added "fitting in" benefit? There is no question that I would want good retention and a thumb break or release of some kind. I also wouldn't carry farther back than 9 o'clock (lefty here). Thoughts on this?

I think the holster is irrelevant to folks looking, it's about what's in it! I use a Serpa CQB paddle, but I started off with a cheap nylon thumb break holster.

Something with retention is a big plus for OC. Very rarely I OC in a regular beltslide if it's what I have on. Or if I have to ditch a cover garment because of weather. And keep it where you can use your arm to cover it if someone does something stupid or just gets too close. Not trying to worry you, but you gotta keep weapons retention in mind. Even if it almost never happens.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Pics! Pics! You need to post some pics so we can properly critique :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I do not "dress up" for OC. I wear what I wear no matter if I am OC or CC or not carrying at all, which almost never happens.

Here is an example of what I look like 90% of the time in the summer when out and about:

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

This is what we wear in Vegas.
    I'm in the black and grey flannel.

why should it matter what you dress like? anyone who'd hassle you would do it whatever you looked like, especially if you're a minority, as was pointed out in this thread.

i live in PA, and open carry is becoming more popular with gun owners here. there have been some negative LEO interactions, but i've received more than my fair share of negative attention from LEO, mostly due to my ethnicity, i'm sure. luckily, i have the law on my side, so many issues are settled before they have a chance to get out of hand.

i think the problem has the same roots as the earliest forms of gun control laws in this country, which were designed to affect only minorities.

chiefjason is right.

Just act like it is supposed to be there, as are you, and all will be as well as it can be.

I have not yet had to endure the pain and agony of a good LEO grilling in regards to my carrying openly, neither have I faced the tedious and terrifying questions of "concerned" citizenry.

Only a matter of time until I get there, and you will most likely find the same is true for you.

Truth is, most people don't notice it. They exist in a happy little world of butterflies and fluffy bunnies, I guess.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    Truth is, most people don't notice it. They exist in a happy little world of butterflies and fluffy bunnies, I guess.
    This has been my experience, as well - people just don't notice. In nearly 100% of incidents, the only people who have noticed my Ladysmith were the ones I've walked past while they were seated. At eye level, it's kind of hard to miss.
    Last edited by Riana; January 28th, 2010 at 11:41 AM.

As long as it's not in a speedo your good to go,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    As long as it's not in a speedo your good to go,
    ******!...i think i just threw up a little in my mouth...thansk for that visual...

it shouldnt matter how you dress but take into consideration that everytime you open carry you are representing gun owners and doing it in a positive way isnt a real bad thing...i dont see anything wrong with casual dress...jeans, cargo shorts, t shirt, etc...but one should consider that neat might count as people draw opinions of all from few sometimes...

TN_MIKE...step away from the white door...we cant see you with the winter camo....

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    What ever I have on that day... jeans mostly...... I don't dress up to OC....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links