Defensive Carry banner

Another great open carry story...

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  orangevol 
#1 ·
Last Friday night my wife called me to tell me there were 2 marked and 2 unmarked police cars that pulled over an SUV in front of our house. She didn't want me coming home and panicing thinking something was going on at our house. I arrived home about 1 hour later and they were still there filling out paperwork. There were 2 uniformed local policemen and 2 plain clothes county sheriff's deputies.

I had to park on the street across from my house because 2 of the cars were blocking my driveway. I got out of my car openly carrying my Glock 27 in a Serpa CQB holster on my right side and a spare mag on my left. I was wearing jeans and a long sleeved dress shirt. Earlier I had taken off my windbreaker golf vest as it had warmed up during the day. I walked across the street and as I approached the uniformed officer closest to me, he asked if he could help me. I replied, no thanks, I live here. I walked up to him and introduced myself and mentioned my son-in-law was a SWAT officer with the department. He said, yeah I thought you looked familiar...we've met before. We stood there and made small talk and he offered to move his car so I could pull mine in the driveway. I told him no need to, my wife and will be leaving soon to go to dinner.

About 30 minutes later we left to go to dinner and as we walked toward all 4 officers, I stopped to speak with one of the deputies asking him if he knew a deputy sargeant friend of mine. We stood there a minute discussing our mutual friend. I wished them all a safe night, retrieved my vest from the back seat of my car, put it on a drove away.

Great open carry encounter with 4 LEO's at the same time!

See less See more
#3 ·
It went just as it should Orange. And as it usually does around here.

I have found, and I think you have too, that the Shelby County Sheriff Deputies are very aware or and generally very pro-civilian open carry and so too are most of the suburban police departments. But the Memphis City "Police" are somewhat anti open carry and generally not trained very well in the civilian carry laws.

We really need to actually meet in person sometime.

#4 ·
Probably a drug bust...the young man's mom showed up after he was "cuffed and stuffed". It was cool that evening and my wife took a jacket out to her since she had to stand around for such a while while the deputies wrote their reports.

She apologized to my wife for her son causing such a scene and said he had done a very stupid thing. Our town is usually very quiet especially where we live, but this started in the county and just ended up in our neighborhood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.