Peet's and CPK tell Open Carry customers: No guns allowed

This is a discussion on Peet's and CPK tell Open Carry customers: No guns allowed within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Scavenger : Peet's and CPK tell Open Carry customers: No guns allowed Open Carry gun advocates in the Bay Area are easy to spot. ...

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Peet's and CPK tell Open Carry customers: No guns allowed

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array JonInNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley New York State
    Posts
    4,207

    Peet's and CPK tell Open Carry customers: No guns allowed

    The Scavenger : Peet's and CPK tell Open Carry customers: No guns allowed

    Open Carry gun advocates in the Bay Area are easy to spot. With unloaded firearms strapped to their sides, they meet at coffee shops and other places to protest exercise their right to bear arms, drawing plenty of attention from the media, cops and bystanders along the way. A group of proponents converged at a local Starbucks in November. Earlier this month, members of Bay Area Open Carry gathered at a Peet's Coffee & Tea in Livermore, triggering a 911 call. Cops responded and frisked one man during his interview with ABC7 (see video below). And last week's meeting at the Peet's in San Ramon caused quite a stir among customers who both disapproved and praised the heat-packing patrons, according to The Oakland Tribune.

    Days after the San Ramon confab, a TV station in Sacramento discovered that a local Peet's posted a policy banning customers from openly carrying guns. A company spokesperson confirmed the rule in an email to The Scavenger:

    While Peet's Coffee & Tea respects and values all individuals' rights under local, state and federal laws, our policy is not to allow customers carrying firearms in our stores or on our outdoor seating premises unless they are uniformed or identified law enforcement officers. Like most other private businesses, particularly retail establishments, we believe this policy is in the best interests of all of our customers, regardless of their personal beliefs. In no way does this policy conflict with or discriminate under the law, and it does not take a position on the law.

    Meanwhile, a planned Feb. 6 meeting at the California Pizza Kitchen in Walnut Creek was nipped in the bud by CPK's crackdown. Sarah Grover, Chief Communications Officer of the LA-based company, sent us this statement:

    CPK does not allow guests other than uniformed officers to display firearms in our restaurants. CPK is a family oriented restaurant and the comfort and well being of our guests is a top priority. We are concerned that the open display of firearms would be particularly disturbing to children and their parents.

    The policies didn't exactly go over well with Open Carry proponents. On an online forum, they called for boycotts of Peet's and CPK. Someone even posted a protest sign (right).

    Open Carry rules vary from state to state. In California, an open carrier's firearm must be unloaded and holstered. The ammo must be kept separate from the gun. Cops are allowed to inspect the weapon but cannot search for the gun's serial number. And as one recently San Jose man discovered, it is illegal to possess a gun within 1,000 feet of any public or private school.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    9,503
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    While Peet's Coffee & Tea respects and values all individuals' rights under local, state and federal laws, our policy is not to allow customers carrying firearms in our stores or on our outdoor seating premises unless they are uniformed or identified law enforcement officers. Like most other private businesses, particularly retail establishments, we believe this policy is in the best interests of all of our customers, regardless of their personal beliefs. In no way does this policy conflict with or discriminate under the law, and it does not take a position on the law.

    I say that's utter BS. Just because you say it's not discrimination doesn't mean it isn't. Vote with your dollars, people.

    Interestingly, according to that policy statement, don't show up there if you're an armed cop in plain clothes unless your badge is showing. One wonders how they would respond if they found one - call the cops?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array gdm320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Vote with your dollars, people.
    Shame, because I love CPK's pizza. Oh well!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

  5. #4
    Ex Member Array jahwarrior72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the raggedy edge
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I say that's utter BS. Just because you say it's not discrimination doesn't mean it isn't. Vote with your dollars, people.

    Interestingly, according to that policy statement, don't show up there if you're an armed cop in plain clothes unless your badge is showing. One wonders how they would respond if they found one - call the cops?
    actually, it's not discrimination. you can treat it as such, but it doesn't make it so. discrimination is something perpetrated on a person, owing to what they may be or exist as, like ethnic background, gender, sexuality, or faith. if i were to go to a restaurant and was denied service because i was hispanic, that's discrimination. if it was because i was armed, that just a business making their own choice.

    what the difference? i can't stop being hispanic if i choose. i can, however, choose to disarm, or go somewhere else.

    gun owners should stop trying to treat businesses who ban guns on their property as if it was racism. comparing yourself to Rosa Parks won't endear anyone to your cause.

  6. #5
    Ex Member Array maddyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    nKy.
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post

    what the difference? i can't stop being hispanic if i choose. i can, however, choose to disarm, or go somewhere else.

    gun owners should stop trying to treat businesses who ban guns on their property as if it was racism. comparing yourself to Rosa Parks won't endear anyone to your cause.
    This opens a whole can of worms that we should not get into here, but let me say that there are several federally legally protected classes who can easily stop being what they are. But they are still a protected class.

  7. #6
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    actually, it's not discrimination. you can treat it as such, but it doesn't make it so. discrimination is something perpetrated on a person, owing to what they may be or exist as, like ethnic background, gender, sexuality, or faith. if i were to go to a restaurant and was denied service because i was hispanic, that's discrimination. if it was because i was armed, that just a business making their own choice.

    what the difference? i can't stop being hispanic if i choose. i can, however, choose to disarm, or go somewhere else.

    gun owners should stop trying to treat businesses who ban guns on their property as if it was racism. comparing yourself to Rosa Parks won't endear anyone to your cause.
    Umm, it is discrimination. When I chose my meal, I discriminate against pig.

    Also, you man not be able to stop being Hispanic, but you can stop being Catholic just as easy or easier than you can take off a gun.

    Discrimination is a choice and a right. I have a right to hang a big Star of David with Christmas lights on it in the window of my shop and put up a sign that says "No Arabs." That right is not protected, but it is still a right.

    What it has come down to is that We the People have settled for "you can choose whatever you want so long as you don't choose X, Y, and Z."

    Label me a bigot or what have you, but I'm tired of being told that I can't pick what I want to pick so long as it's not based on certain random criteria. Next new thing is going to be "you cannot discriminate based on the amount of metal through the applicant's face." It might offend somebody.

    Bottom line is that the shop has the right to kick folks out for having a gun. They also have the right to kick people for any other reason. Too bad that's not protected.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

  8. #7
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    We are concerned that the open display of firearms would be particularly disturbing to children and their parents.
    Uhm, doesn't seem to bother my kids. They are perfectly normal. As a parent it doesn't bother me either. I OC at the house and in public all the time, they don't even acknowledge it anymore. Unless one of them whacks their head on it. But that's a different problem. Raise your kids in the real world and you'd be amazed at what they are capable of understanding. Attempt to raise them in some sort of utopian fantasy land and you'll have a rough time explaining the dirty truths about the real world.

  9. #8
    Ex Member Array jahwarrior72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the raggedy edge
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Uhm, doesn't seem to bother my kids. They are perfectly normal. As a parent it doesn't bother me either. I OC at the house and in public all the time, they don't even acknowledge it anymore. Unless one of them whacks their head on it. But that's a different problem. Raise your kids in the real world and you'd be amazed at what they are capable of understanding. Attempt to raise them in some sort of utopian fantasy land and you'll have a rough time explaining the dirty truths about the real world.
    yeah, the whole "think of deh childrens" argument is lame. i've been in Toys'R'Us and playgrounds with my kids, and i never saw a kid freak out, and start crying because they saw my gun.

    matter of fact, kids are the only ones who are guaranteed not to freak out at the sight of a gun. kids lack preonceived notions about things; just like any other ignorant behavior, they learn it from their parents over time.

    the last time i took my daughter to a playground, there were at least 30 kids running around me at all times. one woman saw me, grabbed her kids, and stormed out, hissing obscenities as she passed me. a few minutes later, some police showed up. they approached me, asked me if i was with a child (to see why i was in a playground), and said the got a MWAG call. they apologized, and left.

    two other women, Orthodox Jews, walked over and asked me if anything was wrong. i told them no, and why the police were there. they thought it was ridiculous, and that they felt better that i was there, visibly armed. "now, any maniac will see you, and run away!"

    the rest of the day, other kids would approach me, ask if it was a real gun, and say "cool!"; their parents didn't seem to mind too much.

  10. #9
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    9,503
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    actually, it's not discrimination.
    Wrong... it most certainly IS discrimination. Every bit as much as saying "people wearing T-shirts with religious symbols are not allowed here because someone might be offended." Open carry in accordance with CA law is legal, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with "what they may be or exist as, like ethnic background, gender, sexuality, or faith."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,003
    Legal or not I can understand why some business owners have issues with people OCing in their establishments. I love guns and I carry a gun but anyone that I see that is visibily armed automatically goes to the top of my threat list.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Legal or not I can understand why some business owners have issues with people OCing in their establishments. I love guns and I carry a gun but anyone that I see that is visibily armed automatically goes to the top of my threat list.
    Have you heard of a lot of criminal acts being perpetrated by folks carrying a gun in a holster? Outside of crooked LEO's it seems quite rare. Most of the video I have seen involve pulling a gun from a hoodie or waistband, or just holding it in their hand. Most crooks don't fork over the money for the holster, when they will likely be ditching the gun anyway. Just something to think about.

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,003
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Have you heard of a lot of criminal acts being perpetrated by folks carrying a gun in a holster? Outside of crooked LEO's it seems quite rare. Most of the video I have seen involve pulling a gun from a hoodie or waistband, or just holding it in their hand. Most crooks don't fork over the money for the holster, when they will likely be ditching the gun anyway. Just something to think about.
    Criminal acts? No. Intimidation and legal harrasment? Yes. Perpetrated towards myself and my then wife on more then one occasion. I have said it before and I will say it until the day I die. Just because you are legally excerising your rights doesn't mean you are doing it with good intentions.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array Bob O's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Central, VA
    Posts
    531
    Both establishments are in business to make money.

    It's our choice if we want to give them our money.

    When they stop making the money they expect to, they will either change their business model or go out of business - it's their business and their choice.


    Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,003
    If I were a business owner I think it would really come down to where I am. If I was in a area where OC was a common place thing I would have no issue with it. I remeber some years back stopping in a restaurnt in virgina when I was there for a friends wedding. Out of the 20 people there at least 15 of them were OCing. Even our waitress was packing. In a area like that I would have no issue with it. Heck, I would probably host a gun owners group meeting.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Should Our Officers in Mexico Be Allowed to Carry Guns?
    By AdoptedTexan in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: March 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM
  2. Vacation Carry: Cabin, No guns allowed...........
    By Ddog0587 in forum Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: January 8th, 2011, 10:26 AM
  3. Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses
    By MN2Go in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2010, 02:03 PM
  4. Open Carry Two Guns?
    By puncho in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 30th, 2010, 10:59 PM
  5. Hit this poll! Should teachers be allowed to carry guns
    By doejohn in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: October 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Search tags for this page

california pizza kitchen gun guns carry peet's

,

cpk carry

,

cpk gun policy

,

peet's open carry policy

,

peets open carry

,

peets wont' serve cops with guns

,

rosa parks open carry

Click on a term to search for related topics.