Travel this summer to TN

Travel this summer to TN

This is a discussion on Travel this summer to TN within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I have decided to head down to Louisville, KY and then to Nashville, TN for our summer trip this summer. We we're ...

Thread: Travel this summer to TN

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Travel this summer to TN

My wife and I have decided to head down to Louisville, KY and then to Nashville, TN for our summer trip this summer. We we're looking at a few places to go and decided on Tennessee. We are driving from Chambersburg, PA via Cincinnati then down to Louisville. We plan on staying in Louisville for a day or two, hitting the 'Whiskey Trail' in Lexington then heading down to Nashville.

I feel pretty comfortable with the laws in OH and KY. It's TN I'm a little unsure of. What is off limits? How is OC perceived? Am I required to produce a CCL on demand for simply OCing? Also what is the deal with restaurants (that serve alcohol) now? I heard some judge whizzed in the cornflakes of the gun owners down there. Is anything being done to work this out?

Thanks for the help!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    No-go areas are
    1. School
    2. Court
    3. Places that sell open containers of alcohol
    4. Properly posted.

Nobody really cares if you OC, but your permit is still required.

As far as the restaurant carry law getting thrown out, I think we are going to get a better one as a result. Under the old law, we couldn't even carry to the bowling alley.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Agave is MOSTLY right.
    where he and I disagree is his perception that "nobody cares" if you OC. In some parts of the state, and in certain communities, he's absolutely correct.
    BUT there are sheepish pockets of population, especially in cities where the site of OC will earn you a LEO inquiry either of their own curiosity, or because of a "man with a gun" call.
    If you're like Agave and those who don't care if you get stopped/questioned, etc, because by God it's your right, go for it!
    If on the other hand you don't like drama, perhaps being a bit more conservative might be in order.
    Up to you! No judgments here!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've curbed my OC time because of local political reasons. But other than that, anybody that cares is a nobody to me. So nobody cares. ;)

The law doesn't distinguish between a weapon carried in the open and one carried concealed.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I've curbed my OC time because of local political reasons. But other than that, anybody that cares is a nobody to me. So nobody cares. ;)

The law doesn't distinguish between a weapon carried in the open and one carried concealed.
    10-4 my friend!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

hitting the 'Whiskey Trail' in Lexington
    Make sure to stop by Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort KY, home of not only Buffalo Trace but also Blanton's, Eagle Rare and Elijah Craig, as well as a premium vodka called "Rain" (very good) and you might also get a taste of a cream liquor (not yet on the market) to compete with Bialys Irish Cream and IMHO much better. Also Wild Turkey is in a DRY county so no tasting there

NO...I have no stake in Buffalo Trace: but with all the $$$$ I send there I should have

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Make sure to stop by Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort KY, home of not only Buffalo Trace but also Blanton's, Eagle Rare and Elijah Craig, as well as a premium vodka called "Rain" (very good) and you might also get a taste of a cream liquor (not yet on the market) to compete with Bialys Irish Cream and IMHO much better. Also Wild Turkey is in a DRY county so no tasting there

NO...I have no stake in Buffalo Trace: but with all the $$$$ I send there I should have
    I stopped there in May of 08' It was a Sunday so I got to smell it, never got to go in though. I think my BAC level went up just by breathing I enjoy a bit of Buffalo Trace with my Coke now and then. It's good whiskey!

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Your PA permit is no good in Ohio, so unless you have an out of state permit like FL, you will need to lock up on your way through our state, and unload the magazines, in our state loaded magazines, even seperate from the firearm equals a loaded gun.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Your PA permit is no good in Ohio, so unless you have an out of state permit like FL, you will need to lock up on your way through our state, and unload the magazines, in our state loaded magazines, even seperate from the firearm equals a loaded gun.
    Ya, I have a Florida, Maine, and New Hampshire non-resident in addition to my Pennsylvania resident. I won't have to stop at any border the whole way down

Quote Originally Posted by justherenow View Post
    Last time I cared to check Ohio police officers were able to have you unpack the vehicle to see if you placed the gun at "reasonable distance from easy access" e.g. not the first thing packed if you have a hatchback or fold down rear seats so as to be able to reach said firearm from inside the vehicle. Not the last thing packed so as to reach it by merely opening the trunk. It was also supposed to be stored separately from the ammo in different containers and locked as well. I don't do that anymore because we have a reciprocal relationship with Ohio now.

A concealed pistol licensee who wishes to carry a concealed pistol in another state is responsible for complying with the laws of that state. Might not hurt the visit the state's website or call the AG.
    Last edited by Munch; January 31st, 2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Sponsored Links