First OC Today

First OC Today

This is a discussion on First OC Today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I only have a little bit longer to wait on my CWP and decided to run around town today while OCing. Jeans, t-shirt, hunting boots, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First OC Today

First OC Today

I only have a little bit longer to wait on my CWP and decided to run around town today while OCing. Jeans, t-shirt, hunting boots, baseball hat, and IWB holster with my XD40SC.

Went to Walmart first. Had to pick up some rock salt for the snow/ice we just got dumped on us and some 12g shells. While walking in, 2 kids (16-19) were behind me and I heard one of them say "whoa that dude's strapped". I didn't turn around. I tried to pay attention if anyone else looked or noticed and really didn't see anyone.

Then went to Lowe's b/c I couldn't for the life of me find the rock sale at Walmart. No one looked or noticed there either. Checkout clerk did glance down and called me Sir (I'm only 27 and he's far my elder). Not sure if that was related to my carrying or just being nice.

Next went to Pittboss BBQ for lunch. I know the owner and staff so of course didn't expect any issues. All went well there as well.

All in all a good day. Once the license comes in I'll surely CC versus OC but it's nice to do sometimes just to show that you can. Btw, I'm in Roanoke VA and did the VA Tuck all day.

VIP Member
    OC is pretty much accepted in VA, unless your in parts of NoVA or the beach area. I OC in the Richmond area and have never had anything negative said to me about it. LEO's either don't see it, or are well versed enough to know the law and ignore it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I have only seen about 3 people OC around me (that I noticed) in prob 5-10 years.

Congrats on the uneventful day. Nice gun choice, I have the same gun and caliber. Love it!
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    It's always good to exercise the OC right..... Good job... I don't have the luxury of CC seeing how I'm only 19.... when I turn 21 I'll be taking my class.... remember... a right un-exercised is a right lost...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunetteMP View Post
    Congrats on the uneventful day. Nice gun choice, I have the same gun and caliber. Love it!
    I want something a little smaller and can get a great deal on a Glock 26/36. Trying to decide if I want to trade or just bought one out right

Congrats on an uneventful day...as it should be.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OC is pretty much accepted in VA, unless your in parts of NoVA or the beach area.
    Why do you say the beach area?

Just curious.
    I live in VA Beach. I do not open carry but some day I probably will.
    Just curious why you said that.

Congrats on a successful OC experience! The first time you OC is always the scariest. Once you get over the fear that everyone will see you weapon & freak out it gets easier. As I've mentioned in a prior message, I OC or CC any given day. It all depends on my mood. More often than not I CC. But some days after reading a few anti-gun stories & articles I OC for the heck of it.

Again, congrats on a successful OC experience!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I wasn't nervous at all really. I OC again today to Target to get some new bedroom slippers (yeah i know but these are very comfy) and passed a lot of people. No one blinked an eye. I was wearing at 4:00 with VA Tuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Backlash View Post
    Why do you say the beach area?

Just curious.
    I live in VA Beach. I do not open carry but some day I probably will.
    Just curious why you said that.
    VA Beach PD, the city council, and the city attorney have a bad habit of arresting and then bullying open carriers in direct violation of state law that preempts localities from making or enforcing a law that is more stringent than that state. VCDL has been making in-roads with VA Beach, but they prefer to learn by bleeding (think someone slamming the state code in their face)....

Always a good suggestion when OCing....carrying a voice recorder with you when engaged by a LEO...keeps everyone honest. There is no stop and ID law in VA, and OCing a firearm is no grounds for a LEO to stop someone (see Terry v Ohio).

More information can be found at OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just curious, I recently bought a Glock 27...is that in itself trying to conceal a firearm? Just a joke, but some lawyers might attempt a suit with that or say.. a Kimber with digital camo grips..trying to conceal!
    There's no honor among lawyers or theives. Sorry to all the Honest lawyers out here!

OC'd a lot lately and just got my MTAC. Should just be a few more weeks and I can pull the shirt over it.

Quote Originally Posted by phigity View Post
    "whoa that dude's strapped".
    that reminds me of Bevis and Butt-head.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links