Do any African Amercians open carry? - Page 5

Do any African Amercians open carry?

This is a discussion on Do any African Amercians open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dsee11789 So what would you prefer that we call you? I understand just "a person" would be best but what about as ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do any African Amercians open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    So what would you prefer that we call you? I understand just "a person" would be best but what about as a descriptor?

I always thought negroe was borderline offensive.
    AA is the politically correct term.
    I never liked black or white either.

So what is best?
    how about calling him American?

one of the most important lessons i learned about being American, i learned in a foreign country. when i was in the UK, i wasn't recognized as being hispanic, Puerto Rican, Nuyorican, black, colored, New Yorker, or any other sub-American. i was simply a crazy American, or the Yank. i left JFK airport a Nuyorican, i came back American.

whenever i fill out paperwork now that has a space for race, i leave it blank, or write out human.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    how about calling him American?

one of the most important lessons i learned about being American, i learned in a foreign country. when i was in the UK, i wasn't recognized as being hispanic, Puerto Rican, Nuyorican, black, colored, New Yorker, or any other sub-American. i was simply a crazy American, or the Yank. i left JFK airport a Nuyorican, i came back American.

whenever i fill out paperwork now that has a space for race, i leave it blank, or write out human.
    So what makes one an American?

Being in America? That would mean illegal immigrats are American.
    Loving America? Then that means there are many Americans that are not American.
    Acting American? Ok. How must you act to become an American?

The only thing about you that you can not and does not change is your Sex and Heritage. (without surgery)

Also I meant more as a descriptor. Are you call the police and say:

You: I was Robbed!
    Dispatch: Calm Down Sir. Can you describe them?
    You: They were American!
    Dispatch: Were they White, Black, Hispanic, Asian?
    You: I don't see why that matters. They're American.
    Dispatch: Was it a male or female?
    You: I don't see why that matters. They're American.

Like it or not we each have a race.
    And I am not afraid to identify myself with it.

Race will ALWAYS be an issue. Look at the Middle East. How many thousands of years has it been going on now?

And why is "American" better? It is still seperating us from the rest of the world who are People.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

EVEN IF Mississippi wasn't so gray about open carry I still wouldn't do it. I am black and my girlfriend is white. I dress in American Eagle, ect. and talk very proper. I am usually the only black person in any of my engineering classes. Even so...I still get treated like I'm tainted by some who don't know me or see me in public with my girlfriend.

Rascism is still around and as black people we should do all we can to help fight the sterotypes and not help them by openly carrying weapons EVEN THOUGH it may be perfectly legal. In most people eyes they will see you as a person up to no good no matter what you look like or profession. And no, re-education is not an option either. Let people learn the error of their thinking on their own. Don't force your opinions on those who can't see past their own two eyes.

In short: Black people, open carry if you like but be prepared to fight a hard battle every single day you elect to do so. Is the hassle really worth it? To me, no. To some, maybe.

Hope I've been helpful! (Black Power! J/K...or am I?)

So what would you prefer that we call you? I understand just "a person" would be best but what about as a descriptor?

I always thought negroe was borderline offensive.
    AA is the politically correct term.
    I never liked black or white either.

So what is best?
    I would prefer American. I hate the term African American as I am not from Africa, my parents aren't from Africa, my grand parent's were not from Africa and my great grand parents were not from Africa. My family has been in this country for 5 generations therefore I think American is most accurate. If for someone reason you need to refer to this killer all natural tan that I have year round then I prefer the adjective Black be used to describe it.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by nadavis View Post
    EVEN IF Mississippi wasn't so gray about open carry I still wouldn't do it. I am black and my girlfriend is white. I dress in American Eagle, ect. and talk very proper. I am usually the only black person in any of my engineering classes. Even so...I still get treated like I'm tainted by some who don't know me or see me in public with my girlfriend.

Rascism is still around and as black people we should do all we can to help fight the sterotypes and not help them by openly carrying weapons EVEN THOUGH it may be perfectly legal. In most people eyes they will see you as a person up to no good no matter what you look like or profession. And no, re-education is not an option either. Let people learn the error of their thinking on their own. Don't force your opinions on those who can't see past their own two eyes.

In short: Black people, open carry if you like but be prepared to fight a hard battle every single day you elect to do so. Is the hassle really worth it? To me, no. To some, maybe.

Hope I've been helpful! (Black Power! J/K...or am I?)
    Agreed. Around here that would cause major problems. Black guy + OC + White girl is a recipie for disaster.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I do not understand why it is ok to assume white people are going to harass black people. Isn't that being prejudiced as well.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Me?
    Negro.

It's accurate in every way.
    But see that's me. Others less so much.

'Black' is okay as is A-A as I know within _context_ what the person is meaning to say and denote.
    What about "Colored" Jang? I mean no offence, we have a good customer who happens to be a black senior citizen, he was very up front with us that he was a "colored man." He would tell us he had never been to Africa, had no desire to go to Africa and he never saw a "black" nor "white" man in his life, we're all of color he would say. Curious on your thoughts? Might it been from the era he was raised in, etc.?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I do not understand why it is ok to assume white people are going to harass black people. Isn't that being prejudiced as well.
    Yes and no. Most of us aren't assuming caucasian people would harass us. However, that doesn't change the fact that for most black people you would be more likely to run into an rascist white person than any other race. But me saying that is also being prejudice. There really is no win/win here. Just keep your gun hidden and there won't be any problems.

The world is slowly losing its colors. Pretty soon we will all be a slight shade of beige anyway.

White people harrass me when I DONT have a gun. I think it's pretty safe to assume being openly armed isn't going to make the situation any better.

I like what you have to say Janq. I'm not into hyphenated americanism myself either. But of course, Roosevelt wasnt either. Check out the link.

Check out the hyphenated americanism speech in the first column

Theodore Roosevelt's Quotes, Sayings, and Aphorisms - Roosevelt Almanac

As for my friends who are black and carry, I asked them and they have no problem with it. Like we always say, concealed is concealed and to this point in time not one of them has ever had a problem. Even their interactions with local LE during traffic stops have been a non-issue. This may not be the norm for everyone across our great country but at least it works here.

I think this also depends on where you live. I used to live in Boston, then Charleston, then Jacksonville, now Miami, and the LEO's in every city are different. In Boston, I found the police to be the most racist of any cities. So I think location should be taken into account as one of the largest factors in what makes this idea a safe one for an African American.
    "If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here."
    -Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    What about "Colored" Jang? I mean no offence, we have a good customer who happens to be a black senior citizen, he was very up front with us that he was a "colored man." He would tell us he had never been to Africa, had no desire to go to Africa and he never saw a "black" nor "white" man in his life, we're all of color he would say. Curious on your thoughts? Might it been from the era he was raised in, etc.?
    He's correct.
    We are all of color. I agree with him 100%.

But my suggestion to you, honor his wishes as direct and in the privacy of his own company.
    I would not for example address him as anything but by the name his momma gave him if and when in company of people other than him.
    Why? It should be a no brainer.

I would totally bet he's got some hold over as from his era.
    Although I have not met a minority of any sort, negro/black or otherwise, who was less than 70 yrs. old that would be okay with that designation muchless run with it never mind upfront advise/ask folk to refer to them as such.
    Old timey like the elders still driving who refer to their alternator as being a 'generator' or 'dynamo'. Long ago antiquated as for a number of reasons, and not just by technicality or new term popularity either.

- Janq

P.S. - No offense taken what so ever.
    As within context of the discussion terms may be used and asked about. This is and has been an exceedingly friendly, civil and adult thread. I'm personally excited to be a part of it simply for the being able to share a little of an experience whihc others here have stated forthrightly they just don't know, have access to or simply do not understand as being different from their own world.
    As well most everyone IRL who knows me says the same thing; That I'm laid back and easy going. I'm not at all uptight nor thin skinned. : )
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

OD*
    Thank you Sir, I appreciate your response.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I greaty appreciate everyone's candid and respectful conversation. Within my own family we have had discussions about race, heritage, and ethnicity as we field questions from our daughter about our different appearances and backgrounds. There is much wisdom to be gained from the perspective of a young and innocent child.

My wife and I are caucasion. I am of Native American descent (1/8th), and my wife is of Italian descent (1/4th). From an appearance standpoint, I look like a burly redneck with dark hair and eyes with rudy redish skin who tans easily (but not evenly) and my wife is very petite dark hair and eyes with pale skin. I look much older than I really am, and my wife looks much younger than she really is. Our daughter was adopted when she was 2 weeks old. Her birth parents were from Mexico, her birth mother 1/2 Philippine. Seven years later, we have a child naturally (surprise of our life...too old for this) and he is pale skin, blond haired, blue eyed (we're operating under the don't ask, don't tell policy). As you can image, we are a very diverse appearing family. Ironically, living in a place with less than 7% population diversity.

With the birth of our son, it really spurred a lot of questions from our daughter about biological traits, race, heritage, adoption, etc. You can imagine that's a lot for a 7 year old to wrap their mind around. One evening after the first nice spring day outside playing with the neighborhood kids all day, my wife said to her, "I believe you got sunburned today." She replied, "black people don't get sunburned." My wife said, "honey, you're not black, you're tan." and she said, "black people are tan." We agreed. I told her that in the eyes of The Lord, we are all one in the same and that's really all that matters.

The next day, the conversation came up about biology, adoption, heritage, and color. We discussed mine, my wifes, hers, and her brothers backgrounds. THIS IS WHEN MY 7 YEAR OLD MADE A PROFOUND STATEMENT!!! She said, "Why do people refer to a country when they are really trying to describe race. One doesn't necessarily equal the other."

This was an epiphany for me as an adult. Profound wisdom and truth spoken from the innocence of a child. And she was right. There are both caucasion and black people in and from Africa. Africa is a continent, not a race. Mexican is a nationality, not a race. Hispanic and Latino people are in and from many different nations. Caucasion people are in and from many different places besides America. America, the country, is made up of many different races and ethnic backgrounds. Native Americans were the original indigenous people to this land...everyone else originated from somewhere else.

I have learned a lot from my own diverse household in a non-diverse community, and from the wisdom of a child. From our Census forms, I also learned that our Hispanic daughter of Mexican national heritage (born in the US) is considered to be caucasian when it comes to defined races. So in reality, cultural heritage, nationality, and race are really three different things. For me, my cultural heritage is Native American, nationality American, and race caucasian....but you can call me Dude because I'm a 60s throwback semi-hippy (which is a counter-culture generational identity). Too many labels for me...dude.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

As a black guy that is an infrequent lurker and even more infrequent poster, I'm sorry I missed the meat of this discussion. There are a couple of points I wanted to make but since this thread looks like it has run its course I'll save for if/when this subject comes up again. Kudos, to everyone for being honest and courteous.

Sponsored Links