Do any African Amercians open carry? - Page 6

Do any African Amercians open carry?

This is a discussion on Do any African Amercians open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; jaydarl, I'd still like to hear what you have to say....

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    jaydarl, I'd still like to hear what you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    jaydarl, I'd still like to hear what you have to say.
    Same here. This has been an interesting thread, no need to end it now.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

I agree. Honest and respectful communication is how we learn and grow in order to have a better understanding of each others' perspectives. We all have common interests here but are from different areas and circumstances. That's what makes this forum so cool. You can sit in your living room and meet great people and learn some new things not only about firearms and self defense, but about life and people. Please feel free to contribute...wisdom garnered and unshared is a waste.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Agreed. ^^

Let it go Jaydarl; Agree or disagree with whomever it's all matters of perspective and specific life experience reflection.
    There is now wrong answer for this thread, just what works right for ones own self...and location.

Personally I would never think to OC in public outside of being at a range or competition event. For same reasons as others in this thread have stated as well as because I'd prefer to keep an ace in the hole so to speak.
    When I carry I keep my knife fully concealed as well for same reasoning.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Not sure if AA are licensed, but I do know latinos are. Classes fill up here, 100's a month. So Americans that are genetically Mexican are not carrying a knife to a gun fight anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    . all I ever listen to is NPR haha.

and thus lies the problem..
    jersey no more.. im a texan now

Glad to see the thread still running. The question that has been running in my head throughout my life was "who makes the decision/determination of what to call whom?" I am 56 years old and I have heard, seen and even used the phrases "colored", "Negro", "Black". Afro-American, and "Africian American". In high school, I has a history tecaher who used the term "Nigras". I got tired of all the mess and prefer to be considered "American" or "Black".
    NRA
    Georgia Carry
    Black Gun Owners

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    What about "Colored" Jang? I mean no offence, we have a good customer who happens to be a black senior citizen, he was very up front with us that he was a "colored man." He would tell us he had never been to Africa, had no desire to go to Africa and he never saw a "black" nor "white" man in his life, we're all of color he would say. Curious on your thoughts? Might it been from the era he was raised in, etc.?
    I work with children in a shelter environment and they range in ages from 2 to 13. When helping a 7 year old with her homework last week, this was our conversation, "Emily, I wanna tell you something. I don't like white people, but I like you because you aren't white... you're peach!" Apparently, she doesn't see in strict black and white either. Maybe the term colored was an era thing but the fact that he doesn't see strict black/white is the way he was raised. And kudos to his parents for raising him that way. One day, I hope to raise my children this way.

Character is the color of the inside. The wrapper has no bearing on what one finds underneath. There are great people in this world...and unfortunatley, some not so great...and you can't tell by looking which ones are which. I've known people that looked rough and people would make assumptions about them, but they were good hearted folks that would help anyone in need. I've also known some people in uppity jobs in influencial positions wearing suits, etc. and they were not what I would consider good people at all.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    One day, I hope to raise my children this way.
    That would be an honorable thing, Sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    What I especially enjoy about the internet, and particularly this forum, is the fact that one's external characteristics become, for all intents and purposes, invisible and meaningless. Race/skin color become no more important than hair color. Gender/age/appearance/etc. are all reduced to mere trivia.

The result is nearly pure communication of thoughts, ideas, and beliefs, which all must stand or fail on their own merit. It's darn near impossible to filter someone's words through the mesh of your own prejudices if you can't actually see the physical body from which the words are generated.

I defy anyone to guess my race, gender, or age, without searching my posts for trivia that I might have disclosed. Needless to say, I am not thee Stanislas Kasava, pictured in my avatar.

The real trick of it all lies in the transferance of the 'open minded/content of one's character' state of mind from the forum environment to the real world -- apparently this has not been universally achieved yet in the year 2010 or we would not be having a discussion relating to the troubles associated with 'African Americans' carrying their firearm openly.

While I generally prefer to maintain the anonymity afforded by an internet forum, I very much appreciate people who choose to disclose their race or gender to our membership (and the world), because I see that there is value created (WRT so-called 'race relations') when someone such as Janq demonstrates that there is such a thing as a Black man who carries a firearm in a responsible manner. Some people may not have been aware of that fact. The same applies to members who make it known that they are female, as it seems commonly accepted that men outnumber women as firearms owners/enthusiasts . As I mentioned before, the existence of this thread is proof enough that there is work still to be done before what truly is trivial is accepted as trivia.

If there is one thing I have deduced over the years regarding race, it is that people who choose to inordinately value their own skin color probably don't have much else in their life to put value or pride in. For some people, their skin color is all they have to hold on to. This suggests a logical strategy in fighting prejudices... but I have gone far enough from the topic already.

I see the main problem being that of Stereotyping. All those pictures of people dressed in various clothes does not make a lot of sense. Let look at it from a media perspective. Hollywood, the news and others shows show the young black men in photo sell the drugs. The emo type dress are the druggies. The suit dressed people are the upstanding citizens, the cowboys and hunters are the rednecks and gun nuts and raciest. I think we all get the idea, this is media based and of course our public and LEO etc will view it this way. I am white I wear a Cowboy Hat I grew up on a ranch and hunted all my life. I have very good friends who are Black and Hispanic. I am not raciest, I hate being called a redneck because I hate Stereotypes. However the rest of the world thinks that all black men that wear pants around their knees are thugs, some are some aren't same with guys who wear cowboy hats some are rednecks some aren't. Bottom line is it is Media that has created so much profiling. A black man that is OC is NO DIFFERENT than a white man or any other. We are all americans and the LEO's and general public need to learn that.

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    That would be an honorable thing, Sir.
    My daughter (5 years old) the other day asked me why she looked different than some of the other kids in her kindergarden class.
    me-"Honey, do you and I look the same? The exact same?"
    her-"no, I'm a girl, and your a daddy"
    me-"do you look the same as your sister... The exact same?"
    her-"no, we're different"
    me-"everyone looks is different honey. Inside we are all the same though, all humans. Dont worry about it"
    her-"but they said I looked different because I'm white"
    me-"Honey, your not white, black, or poka dotted. You're Macy. That should be more than enough for anyone"
    her="Ok, thanks daddy"

I hate to admit taking pride in something that should be as basic as that, but I couldnt help it.

Quote Originally Posted by rstrainii View Post
    I see the main problem being that of Stereotyping. All those pictures of people dressed in various clothes does not make a lot of sense. Let look at it from a media perspective. Hollywood, the news and others shows show the young black men in photo sell the drugs. The emo type dress are the druggies. The suit dressed people are the upstanding citizens, the cowboys and hunters are the rednecks and gun nuts and raciest. I think we all get the idea, this is media based and of course our public and LEO etc will view it this way...
    Thus my point as stated in that posting and the exact reason why I posted and selected those specific images.

The images makes perfect sense as per your own words and the fact that you got it. :huh:

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Perceptions are reality

Quote Originally Posted by OPS Marine View Post
    Each and every LE contact I have had has been positive, even up to this afternoon and evening when someone tried to confront me while carrying and called the Police. The Police came and spoke to me professionally, simply ASKING if I was clear. That was the end of that. Later that evening, he called the Police again, and two different Officers came. I had to walk past them to get to my vehicle. They glanced and said nothing.

Once again, I am home safe.

No matter what race you are, if you show the Police respect, that dramatically changes the way you are approached. Also, the way you are dressed plays a big part...
    OPS Marine:

You are exactly right regarding "the way you are dressed plays a big part".

I used to travel on airplanes quite a bit and I always wore a suit (or jacket) and tie to avoid unnecessary questions or delays.

Now that I travel infrequently, I still wear a jacket and tie ALWAYS when traveling on airplanes or going to court as a juror or for that matter anyplace where a beaurocrat with whom you have to interact makes an instant assessment of me (or you).

What the clothing does is make the beaurocrat act more respectfuly and think about who you might be and what aggravation you might cause for him if he gives you a hard time. While it might not work 100% of the time, it almost always does for me.

I see the different attitude displayed by the beaurocrat to people in front of me dressed in gangsta or even casual clothes on a regular basis.

Capt. Art

ps. you should think about what you wear when going for your drivers license photo, your passport photo, or any other photo ID.
    It makes a big difference

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links