Do any African Amercians open carry?

This is a discussion on Do any African Amercians open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by nadavis EVEN IF Mississippi wasn't so gray about open carry I still wouldn't do it. I am black and my girlfriend is ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Do any African Amercians open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by nadavis View Post
    EVEN IF Mississippi wasn't so gray about open carry I still wouldn't do it. I am black and my girlfriend is white. I dress in American Eagle, ect. and talk very proper. I am usually the only black person in any of my engineering classes. Even so...I still get treated like I'm tainted by some who don't know me or see me in public with my girlfriend.

Rascism is still around and as black people we should do all we can to help fight the sterotypes and not help them by openly carrying weapons EVEN THOUGH it may be perfectly legal. In most people eyes they will see you as a person up to no good no matter what you look like or profession. And no, re-education is not an option either. Let people learn the error of their thinking on their own. Don't force your opinions on those who can't see past their own two eyes.

In short: Black people, open carry if you like but be prepared to fight a hard battle every single day you elect to do so. Is the hassle really worth it? To me, no. To some, maybe.

Hope I've been helpful! (Black Power! J/K...or am I?)
    NAdavis:

I do not think that would happen only because of skin color. I believe it happens to all of us who carry because of the indoctrination by the anti-gun crowd from a young age. Several of my inlaws would probably call the police and report me if I open carried in their presence.

The misunderstanding and ignorance of antis is a part of their nature and they have an intense fear that a gun has a mind of its own and can discharge itself at will. This is all that is required in their view.

I agree with you about keeping a low profile to avoid unnecessary confrontations. That has been my way of life for many many years because I have learned early in life that the satisfaction of being Hi Profile has not been worth the aftermath misery that always accompanies it.

Capt. Art

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I really don't care what color you may be. But by your appearance and or actions you appear to be more of a threat, then I become more aware of what you are doing. I can't be like Jang, who goes through life completely aware at all times. I'm just not that good. I rely on past experinces and popular probabilities.

A black man open carrying in a responsible manner is not going to get any more notice from me than anyone else doing the same. It's when the responsibility level goes down my awareness level goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennie View Post
    I got tired of all the mess and prefer to be considered "American" or "Black".
    My buddy prefers 'black' as well, but in the thread title I figured I better go with A_A.

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    IA black man open carrying in a responsible manner is not going to get any more notice from me than anyone else doing the same.
    It'd be nice if everyone shared that sentiment.

We're not there yet.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Things like this forum and thread are helping us move in the right direction. Like Stan said, we come here to share our common interests with others without outward appearances being in the mix. Our perceptions of others here are formed from the content of their posts. In our discussions of similar interests, opinions, thoughts, ideas, advice, etc. we also learn that we share so much in common with people from various walks of life (age, gender, locations, professions, and race). I hope that someday people will learn to value the commonalities of humanity to draw people from all walks of life together.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The handful of friends I had who were African-American I've lost contact with. However this topic did come up, and they laughed at the thought. Then again, I'm in MI, and myself and several others who are white don't OC because we don't want to deal with the added issues.

It is a factor for everyone who OCs (at least in MI, IMHO).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    My daughter (5 years old) the other day asked me why she looked different than some of the other kids in her kindergarden class.
    me-"Honey, do you and I look the same? The exact same?"
    her-"no, I'm a girl, and your a daddy"
    me-"do you look the same as your sister... The exact same?"
    her-"no, we're different"
    me-"everyone looks is different honey. Inside we are all the same though, all humans. Dont worry about it"
    her-"but they said I looked different because I'm white"
    me-"Honey, your not white, black, or poka dotted. You're Macy. That should be more than enough for anyone"
    her="Ok, thanks daddy"

I hate to admit taking pride in something that should be as basic as that, but I couldnt help it.
    No harm in taking pride in that. I wish more parents would teach it to begin with.

VIP Member
    I have often thought about these types of issues due to the diversity of my own family.
    My wife and I adopted 2 children before we were able to have our biological child.
    Our oldest son, (7) is not the same race/skin tone as us. We found out about him when he was 7 days old, and it took the next 6 days to get everything in order to be able to travel to Pennsylvania to pick him up. We have been his parents for his whole life as far as he is concerned.
    2and1/2 years later we adopted our first daughter, also not of our race/skin tone. We picked her up the day after she was born in Louisiana, we have been her parents her whole life.

I only say these things to preface my other comments.

I teach my 2 oldest children gun safety, and I shoot with my 7 y.o. son. I hope as he grows up he'll continue to be as interested as he is now. If he is, he'll feel free to OC just as I often do. All 3 of my kids see me OC and know I CC. It is my dream that when my children grow up, they feel the desire to protect themselves, and their families. If they choose to OC, I hope they have no reservations because of race.

I have taught all my children that what matters isn't ones looks but their character, I wish all people felt the same and hope my children are treated the way they deserve, not based on their looks, but their character.

Sigmanluke
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I defy anyone to guess my race, gender, or age, without searching my posts for trivia that I might have disclosed. Needless to say, I am not thee Stanislas Kasava, pictured in my avatar.
    Dude,

You just ruined it for me. Whenever you post, I always get a great deal of amusement out of your avatar. I picture you as that fellow, and it always makes me laugh.

I am not sure why......

I am not white black or hispanic. I do ride a motorcycle and did grow up on the wrong side of the tracks. I also owned and operated a profitable business for many years before I retired. My experience is that color, demeanor, attire, and locale can all play a role in whether or not you get hassled.

There are dress styles that many including LEO associate with gangs or thugs. It is different than the wannabe fashion statements. Though to many it looks the same. Even some suits can be seen as thug wear. Some so obvious as to be laughable. While, Janq is correct in that not ALL criminals "look" like criminals. The most successful probably don't. The fact remains stereotyping and profiling exist. Speaking from experience if we fit the profile we can expect to get some extra attention.

My experiences is that Before RUBs and the current motorcycle fad. Wearing leathers riding a motorcycle could get you laying face down in the dirt for a traffic ticket. I've been charged with a DUI solely because of how I looked. On a bike wearing old worn leathers So I had to be scooter trash out partying at 5AM not taking my wife to work to assist coordinate a mastectomy. The blood test was taken while I was on a gurney awaiting emergency surgery. Tubes in my arms up my johnson, up nose and down my throat. A morphine drip in one arm while they took a blood test out of the other.

I have had the police called than handcuffed and placed in the back of a cruiser because I was the wrong color and did not dress right to have that much cash on hand.

I have rarely been harangued for OC. The times I have I think it had more to do with locale, ignorant anti gun mentality and my attire than my race. Maybe a combination of race and attire.

Many who are situationally aware profile. In all honesty I do it, if it looks like ......., smells like ......., feels like ......., it probably is a ........ It is not just about color or attire but a combination of things. I'm sure that experienced LEO profile based on their experience consciously or not. Point is yes profiling stereo typing exist. Like it or not those stereo types often have a foundation in fact and are used for good cause. Gang bangers do wear baggy clothes, red necks do wear cowboy hats. Right wrong or indifferent if we appear to fit into one or another stereo type we can expect some extra attention. As this is a reality based board not about how things should be. My answer to the OP is yes your friend can expect some extra attention not shot when he OC's. He can minimize that by his dress and demeanor.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Being Black myself, I wouldn't OC, period. I would get harassed, I've gotten harassed enough when I didn't carry. The question commonly comes up "do you dress thug?...do you carry yourself in a manner of which would cause suspicion?..."
    I'm not a hard core partier, never have been, I've never been associated with criminal or gang activity, I'm a university professor, I don't sag my pants or dress "thug", and I own my own business. I am very actively involved in my children's school and extracurricular activities. I'm probably someone most people would want to have a gun because I'm responsible and have always been drug and alcohol free.......that being said, I still can't count how many times I've been driving and had a LEO who was driving the opposite way bust a U-turn and follow me and find a reason to stop me.

So as a Black man I don't think I'd open carry because I don't want the hassle. For those of you who are LEOs, I respect what you do and I appreciate what you do but I've unfortunately have had the experience of dealing with some who had......I'll just say issues. I will say I've had some good experiences with LEOs too (not regarding guns/carrying but all the same I know there are good LEOs out there also).

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I do not understand why it is ok to assume white people are going to harass black people. Isn't that being prejudiced as well.
    No, that's experience. It's not assuming that White people are going to harass Black people it's just a response to the question about Black people OCing. Based on many of our experiences we are uncomfortable OCing because of our experience. I'd think it smart of people to want to avoid any unwanted confrontation when they aren't doing anything wrong. Personally I just don't care to deal with the possibility of being harassed.

Quote Originally Posted by J400Cali View Post
    No, that's experience. It's not assuming that White people are going to harass Black people it's just a response to the question about Black people OCing. Based on many of our experiences we are uncomfortable OCing because of our experience. I'd think it smart of people to want to avoid any unwanted confrontation when they aren't doing anything wrong. Personally I just don't care to deal with the possibility of being harassed.

Calling it experience is just skirting the issue.

In MY experience. I personally have been robbedby a black man. Twice.

And in MY experience we catch more black than white shoplifters at my store.

That doesn't mean I believe black people commit more crimes.

In fact one of my best friends / mentor is black.

Like somebody said before. EVERYONE is suspect.
    Last edited by dsee11789; March 1st, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I wonder if Hispanics get the same flack as Black people for OC'ing. Especially if they are somewhere that is predominantly white.

I wonder if Hispanics get the same flack as Black people for OC'ing. Especially if they are somewhere that is predominantly white.
    Jahwarrior said that he has had negative experiences.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links