Do any African Amercians open carry? - Page 8

Do any African Amercians open carry?

This is a discussion on Do any African Amercians open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dsee11789 Jahwarrior said that he has had negative experiences. Thanks, I just read his posts. I think it varies so much with ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Do any African Amercians open carry?

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    Jahwarrior said that he has had negative experiences.
    Thanks, I just read his posts. I think it varies so much with Hispanics since it's neither a race nor ethnic group. I have such a "versatile" look that nobody ever knows what I am.

Calling it experience is just skirting the issue.

In MY experience. I personally have been robbedby a black man. Twice.

And in MY experience we catch more black than white shoplifters at my store.

That doesn't mean I believe black people commit more crimes.

In fact one of my best friends / mentor is black.

Like somebody said before. EVERYONE is suspect.
    I can respect that and agree with that, EVERYONE is suspect. However when responding to the original question as to whether Black people open carry and why or why not, that is my stance. Be it right or wrong, I've been harassed too many times without a gun to want to open myself up to being harassed with a gun. Not to say that it will happen.

I've worked undercover security before and when I was new I had "security" called on my numerous times because there were reports of a "suspicious looking Black man" in the area. I've had a cop stop me and ask me where I'm going on my second day of work at this same job. Again, this is before I even owned a gun.

I'd be curious to ask what region is this where you catch more Black shoplifters (the statistician in me at work) and what make up the demographics of the area. I ask this because when I used to work at the local juvenile hall there were hardly ever any Black people in there but there were many Black people working there.....

I appreciate the intelligent discussion with such a touchy subject.

Calling it experience is just skirting the issue.
    No that is personal experience. If you burn you finger on the hot stove and it happens every time you put your finger on the hot stove. Your experience tells you if you put your johnson on the hot stove it is going to hurt even more. That is exactly what you are being told here.
    Many believe that blacks do commit more crimes per capita. As do the latest FBI stats. and on TV and the media as well. So many see men of color as threats. They do not see a professor or lawyer or doctor when they see a black or brown man. They see a threat, so open carrying a gun makes men of color double threatening appearing to many. Fear that can cause an over reaction especially by someone unfamiliar with the OC laws in their area.
    IMO the best way to over come that is to make it common to see men including men of color OC'ing but that those willing to endure the harassment and potential abuse do so carefully maybe in very public places in the company of white OC'ers.
    Maybe you can ask your mentor to OC with you. Hopefully, you will not see first hand what folks are saying here.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by CplVargas View Post
    Thanks, I just read his posts. I think it varies so much with Hispanics since it's neither a race nor ethnic group. I have such a "versatile" look that nobody ever knows what I am.
    Hispanic is an ethnic group.
    Also consider that hispanics vary greatly in outward appearance to such a degree that just as many very well appear to be Caucasian (what we minority's in the day used to refer to as 'being able to pass') as do those who do not.

Notable examples include the entire country of Chile, much of Venzuela and Panama as well as Spain never mind many actors in Hollywood such as Hector Elizondo.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Except for this picture. These fit into the keep an eye on category. LOL.
    Especially the dude on the far right.
    Yeah, once he wakes up from his meditation, he could be trouble for sure....

And the cat to his right is worth keeping an eye on as well...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    He is my age (36), dresses in docker/polo shirt type attire normally and drives a pretty nice Toyota SUV.
    He does have a heavy foot and gets tickets pretty often. I don't regularly open carry, and he never has, we were just talking about it.
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to be the Rosa Parks of open carry and he believes that he would be in serious danger of being shot by the police if he were to open carry. His traffic stops have been in Ohio, he always informs at the same time he gives his license and insurance, and every time (3) so far he has been cuffed. He seems ok with it. It irratates me.
    It's the KY tags, they are always looking for hillbilly tags. KY is my home state right on the OH/WV border. We were always harrassed in OH.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Hispanic is an ethnic group.
    Also consider that hispanics vary greatly in outward appearance to such a degree that just as many very well appear to be Caucasian (what we minority's in the day used to refer to as 'being able to pass') as do those who do not.

Notable examples include the entire country of Chile, much of Venzuela and Panama as well as Spain never mind many actors in Hollywood such as Hector Elizondo.

- Janq
    According to the US Census Bureau, hispanics are categorized from a race definition perspective as caucasian. Ethnicity would be a subset within race. There is a difference betweem Race, Ethnicity, and National Origin. I'm on my local 2010 Census Committee and have learned a couple of things.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    According to the US Census Bureau, hispanics are categorized from a race definition perspective as caucasian. Ethnicity would be a subset within race. There is a difference betweem Race, Ethnicity, and National Origin. I'm on my local 2010 Census Committee and have learned a couple of things.
    there are no races but human. everything else is just ethnicity. this is why i don't do the census, or fill out those questions on forms. hispanics run the gamut of ethnic groups; "hispanic" is cultural, not a race. a Cuban, or Puerto Rican, or Colombian, can be black, caucasian, Amerind, or even asian.

See the thing is though that is not 'thug' dress....Even as some times thugs do dress that way.
    That is regional and environmental specific proper and modern mode of dress style.

No different than...

Note: In this pic Wesley looks to be carrying concealed as by the way that his jacket/cover hangs on his left side/hip area.

...Any of these examples.

Every locale and the people therein have their own norm as related to fashion, style and means of carrying oneself.
    As well each and every one has criminals among them including those dressed in suits or wearing uniforms of literally any sort you might be able to think of.

Clothing does not make the man, as by mentality and/or intent.
    As well when in Rome do as the Romans do.

- Bernie Madoff wore suits and a tie...And he's one of the biggest thugs in US history

P.S. - Those kids in the second pic you showed look to be under age 21 and thus would be good reason to draw attention and wonder about open carrying as by anyone including law enforcement.
    That "modern mode of dress" evolved from the Gansta Rap culture which glorifies criminals and everyone I've seen dressed like that was a thug or a wanna be thug. And just to nip the inevitable remarks calling me a racist in the bud, they were all white. It's become the style because our society has devolved to the point where it's cool to be a criminal and uncool to be a cop.

I don't deny that racism exists, but it irks me when people *get off* because their black. With the PC garbage in our society and the liberal idiots on the benches if a cop hits a guy too many times or shoots him more than once or tazes him, then immediately it's racism and even if he's a gangbanger high on PCP who molests 12 year old girls, he's turned into a choirboy by the media and the cop had no right taking him down.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

This is an tuff topic, I Have one good friend who is Black and, we both are active in shooting and, hunting Everytime we go hunting together and, carry our handguns There is always going to be an problem because,. he is black even black officers Question us It really sucks that poeple think that way. Mark is no different than me we are just 2 guys who enjoy the same outdoor activities but everytime we are together we are harrassed When im hunting alone NO PROBLEMS But, Mark has Decieded not to ever open carry because of this .wish it didnt have to be that way...
    NRA Life Member
    USCCA Member
    Scope Member
    New York permit
    Pennsylvania Permit
    Florida Permit

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    there are no races but human. everything else is just ethnicity. this is why i don't do the census, or fill out those questions on forms. hispanics run the gamut of ethnic groups; "hispanic" is cultural, not a race. a Cuban, or Puerto Rican, or Colombian, can be black, caucasian, Amerind, or even asian.
    I agree totally. My family is diverse and we do our best to incorporate the culture of our daughter's Mexican heritage into our lives. I'm of Native American descent and my wife is of Italian descent. I look a lot older than I am and she looks a lot younger than her age. Our daughter is adopted and we now have a son (ours biologically) who has blonde hair and blue eyes (I'm not asking how). We live in a very non-diverse community, so we have had to contend with the dynamics of adoption, biology, nationality, culture, race, and ethnicity on a regular basis. That's a lot for a kid to wrap their mind around when they are the only hispanic child at school with a family that is obviously not biologically connected. We've had a number of incidents that we have had to deal with and try to explain to her. I just tell her that in the eyes of The Lord, we are all one in the same regardless of our appearance, background or how our families came together and that's all that really matters.

Do you really think that anyone who is openly carrying a holstered pistol is out to break the law? I don't.
    Gangbangers and lawbreakers carry their guns concealed ("Mexican carry?"), till they need them.

Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    Do you really think that anyone who is openly carrying a holstered pistol is out to break the law? I don't.
    Gangbangers and lawbreakers carry their guns concealed ("Mexican carry?"), till they need them.
    I've been quoting something similar for years, "You shouldn't be concerned with the guns you can see on the side of law abiding citizens, but the ones in the pockets of criminals that you don't see. If a person has ill intent, you won't see the weapon until it's shoved in your face."

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    That "modern mode of dress" evolved from the Gansta Rap culture which glorifies criminals and everyone I've seen dressed like that was a thug or a wanna be thug....
    People had been wearing hoodies and wearing jeans since well before 1986, the debut of NWA and gangsta rap.
    I was wearing same going as far back as '77...Living urban and not being a thug nor wanna be thug.
    Heck nobody even used the term "thug" aside from old timey pre-war types until the late '90s when it came back in US vogue universally.

As to getting off because they are black, I don't know or understand where you're coming from with that.
    Especially in a thread that discusses the realtiys of being black as to being the polar opposite of that view.
    Further as based on the realitys of black arrest, charging and conviction rates including term as compared to that of whites and any other race again your view stands unsupported.
    Also the media portrayal of same is very much opposite what you speak of.

Sporting of tattoos, leather clothing, biker paraphernalia, and even wearing of dungarees/jeans for the post war and baby boomer aged folks were all fashion borne out of criminal (prisoner) counter culture to become a "modern mode of dress". See Elvis...

Honest your post is very much confusing overall. :huh:

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

People had been wearing hoodies and wearing jeans since well before 1986, the debut of NWA and gangsta rap.
    I was wearing same going as far back as '77...Living urban and not being a thug nor wanna be thug.
    Heck nobody even used the term "thug" aside from old timey pre-war types until the late '90s when it came back in US vogue universally.

As to getting off because they are black, I don't know or understand where you're coming from with that.
    Especially in a thread that discusses the realtiys of being black as to being the polar opposite of that view.
    Further as based on the realitys of black arrest, charging and conviction rates including term as compared to that of whites and any other race again your view stands unsupported.
    Also the media portrayal of same is very much opposite what you speak of.

- Janq
    you know, i was going to say a lot of the same things, but i decided not to bother. anyone who thinks a method of dress is indicative of character, and belives baggy jeans and hoodies glorify violence and gang culture, is someone not worth my time.

sometimes, the thoughts i read on this forum disgust me.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Sponsored Links