Do any African Amercians open carry?

This is a discussion on Do any African Amercians open carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am white, my best friend is black. He has his CC license as do I. I have never had a problem with the cops ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do any African Amercians open carry?

Do any African Amercians open carry?

I am white, my best friend is black. He has his CC license as do I. I have never had a problem with the cops during traffic stops. He does every time. Every time he is pulled over, he is cuffed while he is thoroughly checked out.
    He and I were talking about open carry and he said he thought that open carry for him as a black man would be suicide-as in he thinks he would be shot-

So, do any of our African- American friends open carry? What have your experiences been?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I know of two in the Cinci metro area that do on occasion. One is a well known doctor, and I'm not sure what the other guy does, but he is a professional of sorts and carries himself as such. To my knowledge, they dont have any problems OCing; then again, we never have had that conversation either.
    "Just blame Sixto"

your friend is right; being brown skinned will make him more of a target.

i'm not black, but hispanic. however, as i was born and raised in NYC, there's not much difference. i have definitely noticed the difference in treatment i receive, not just from police, but businesses. i know plenty of folks in my area who OC, and receive barely any attention for it. however, if i go to the same restaurants, shop at the same malls, and walk the same streets, i get hassled a great deal. so, yes, race does factor in negative OC scenarios.

which is part of the reason why i decided to OC even more. i'm already a target, being a minority. besides, the roots of gun control are racist in and of themselves, with early gun bans in the south to stop black freedmen from owning guns, to the Sullivan Act of NYC, which was targeted at immigrants. i suspect gun control today is still rooted in racism: isn't it odd that groups like the Brady Campaign, Ceasefire PA/NJ, and others like them, target gun shops in inner cities, and want to ban "Saturday Night Specials" and junk guns, which are usually the only defense poor people in the inner cities can afford?

tell your friend he should open carry, to honor the sacrifices others before him have made. tell him it's a right that his ancestors were denied.

I don't think he would be shot.

But Unfortunately he will probably be harrassed more than a white person.

But then again it is going to have ALOT to do with how he dresses and behaves.

If he dresses like this......... His Chances are higher

If you dress like a thug, do not be surprised or offended when people assume you are a thug.

Does your friend involve himself in the gang / street culture? Or does he carry himself and present himself like a self respecting law abiding human being.

I guarantee these fools would get the attention of local PD if they were OCing

Does race matter more than it should? YES

But race is not the ONLY factor that makes someone stick out.

As long as your friend carries himself well, he should be ok.
    The Same goes for ALL of us.
    Of course there will always be the chance of running into an overzealous ignorant cop.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

I personally very much agree with your friend as by my own life experiences and observations, and am not at all surprised by the disparity in result.

I have never carried openly among citizens aside from at a range or competition event for same real concern as stated by your friend.

I figure life is hard enough as it is, why go out of your way on purpose to make it even more of a challenge.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Yikes! cuffed everytime? seriously, I've never and none of my friends have ever been cuffed on a traffic stop or at all for that matter. And I'm the smallest out of the group at 6'1" 210lbs.

As for your question, hmm open carry, doubt I ever will. I understand what he is saying. Its better to avoid the situation than become a victim of ignorance, and I'm not talking about being gunned down by an LEO, I mean walking into a convience store etc.

Due to sterotypes, Alone Black people and Guns make some people uneasy, put the two together and... the possible outcomes of the situation aren't good.

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post

If you dress like a thug, do not be surprised or offended when people assume you are a thug.
    See the thing is though that is not 'thug' dress....Even as some times thugs do dress that way.
    That is regional and environmental specific proper and modern mode of dress style.

No different than...

Note: In this pic Wesley looks to be carrying concealed as by the way that his jacket/cover hangs on his left side/hip area.

...Any of these examples.

Every locale and the people therein have their own norm as related to fashion, style and means of carrying oneself.
    As well each and every one has criminals among them including those dressed in suits or wearing uniforms of literally any sort you might be able to think of.

Clothing does not make the man, as by mentality and/or intent.
    As well when in Rome do as the Romans do.

- Bernie Madoff wore suits and a tie...And he's one of the biggest thugs in US history

P.S. - Those kids in the second pic you showed look to be under age 21 and thus would be good reason to draw attention and wonder about open carrying as by anyone including law enforcement.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Good point Janq, I didn't mean it was a sole decider. Just a small factor in the puzzle.
    Good examples.

Except for this picture. These fit into the keep an eye on category. LOL.
    Especially the dude on the far right.

Wesley Snipes was a bad example too. He got sent to jail.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    See the thing is though that is not 'thug' dress....Even as some times thugs do dress that way.
    That is regional and environmental specific proper and modern mode of dress style.

No different than...

Note: In this pic Wesley looks to be carrying concealed as by the way that his jacket/cover hangs on his left side/hip area.

...Any of these examples.

Every locale and the people therein have their own norm as related to fashion, style and means of carrying oneself.
    As well each and every one has criminals among them including those dressed in suits or wearing uniforms of literally any sort you might be able to think of.

Clothing does not make the man, as by mentality and/or intent.
    As well when in Rome do as the Romans do.

- Bernie Madoff wore suits and a tie...And he's one of the biggest thugs in US history

P.S. - Those kids in the second pic you showed look to be under age 21 and thus would be good reason to draw attention and wonder about open carrying as by anyone including law enforcement.
    thank you for illustrating the facts.

not everyone feels comfortable wearing Eddie Bauer or L.L. Bean. dressing like a "thig" isn't being a thug, it's a cultural thing, like cowboy hats in Texas.

He is my age (36), dresses in docker/polo shirt type attire normally and drives a pretty nice Toyota SUV.
    He does have a heavy foot and gets tickets pretty often. I don't regularly open carry, and he never has, we were just talking about it.
    I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to be the Rosa Parks of open carry and he believes that he would be in serious danger of being shot by the police if he were to open carry. His traffic stops have been in Ohio, he always informs at the same time he gives his license and insurance, and every time (3) so far he has been cuffed. He seems ok with it. It irratates me.

VIP Member

I'm not Black.

But been there, seen that.

Check out: Hours after Norfolk City Hall visit, gun advocate is detained | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Hours after Norfolk City Hall visit, gun advocate is detained

By Debbie Messina
    The Virginian-Pilot
    October 9, 2008
    NORFOLK

Hours after guns-rights activists marched on City Hall to demand police leave them alone, they said one was charged after refusing an order to leave Waterside because he was openly carrying a weapon.

Danladi Moore – whom the city paid $10,000 in July to avoid litigation after being stopped by police for suspected weapons violations – was charged with trespassing at the downtown entertainment complex Tuesday night.

The 24-year-old Hampton resident said police told him to leave because he had a gun. Moore said he refused because the law allows him to display a weapon in public places. He said he was handcuffed, charged and led out of the building.

Norfolk police spokesman Officer Chris Amos confirmed that a summons was issued but declined to comment further.

Waterside receives city funding but is officially owned by a private entity, Waterside Associates, whose partners include the Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority, said NRHA assistant executive director John Kownack. Its policy prohibits weapons, yet weapons are not included on a list of prohibitions posted at Waterside’s entrances, he added.

The incident happened after about a dozen members of the Virginia Citizens Defense League finished dinner at the Hooters restaurant at Waterside. Earlier, they had joined about 50 others at a City Council meeting to complain that their rights had been violated by police.

Most of them were openly carrying guns, but only Moore and his two friends were approached, members of the group said.

Philip Van Cleave, who leads the guns-rights group and was with Moore at Waterside but did not witness the exchange, said it was unbelievable.

“I don’t see a conspiracy here – I see more ineptness,” he said. “And there may well be prejudice too.”

Moore is black. Van Cleave and most of the others are white.

Moore said a friend who was with him at Waterside also was carrying a gun and also had challenged police when asked to leave. He said his friend, who is white, was not charged.

John Pierce, co-founder of the national group OpenCarry.org, said, “Even if this was a perfectly innocent mistake, the timing could not have been worse.”
    Only the Black got arrested.

Watch the video of Moore at the site above. He is well dressed well groomed, etc. The only difference in him and the rest of the VCDL members there was that he is Black.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Here in Georgia theres a growing number of blacks that are OC'ing. Harrasment has been very little, but there still are cases due to Georgia's confusing 'Public Gathering' law. Many officers aren't up to speed on the gun laws and get jumpy when they see anyone carrying in urban areas.

as in the article above the VCDL member always OC's.....

S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

I think the way that you carry yourself greatly affects the way in which people react around you. If you have a calm demeanor and act as if your supposed to be there then an overwhelmingly majority of people will react positively to you. On the other hand if you have a nervous/anxious personality type then maybe open carry isn't for you. Put yourself into the average persons shoes around you, if you see someone who is acting very nervous and is carrying a gun then most people will assume that this person is up to no good( its sad but true when most people see a gun they get nervous due to the way the media portrays gun owners). I'm mixed(white and black) and I open carry almost all the time when I am working in eastern Kentucky and yet to have had a single problem. So if your going to open carry just be sensitive to how you carry yourself and you shouldn't have any problems.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.----George Orwell

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links