Oc in crowded areas

This is a discussion on Oc in crowded areas within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I should start off my saying that I do not OC. In fact I can't even carry right now, I'm very sad to say - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oc in crowded areas

Oc in crowded areas

I should start off my saying that I do not OC. In fact I can't even carry right now, I'm very sad to say - due to a move. So, while I plan on carrying again in the relatively near future, I am still not able. I WILL be able to OC however, and I plan on doing so often. That said, I also take public transport on a daily basis (trains, buses) and I was wondering what you regular OCers tend to do when in crowded areas while OCing. CC temporarily? Do you have holsters that are snapped?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Good luck with that public transportation thingy

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Situational awareness and a good retention holster.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

VIP Member
    Mine is carried IWB which keeps it pulled in tight to the body, that coupled with a forward cant holster makes it difficult for someone to snatch it. Add to that increased SA whenever I'm out I feel confident in my set up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am assuming that this type of carry is allowed in Israel?
    If my assumption is correct, perhaps appendix carry would solve your concern.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mic
    I carry in the normal CC manner but if it shows I don't get in a tuss over it. Keep in mind situational awareness and a retention holster
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

I OC all the time, so a retention holster is essential. I've tried several retention methods, and ended up loving the Blackhawk Serpa. With a little practice, it's much quicker then anything that snaps. Thumb breaks can be good, but I still prefer the Serpa because the release tab is alongside the trigger guard, in the same place where my finger wants to be all through the draw.

Some people decry the Serpa system due to concerns about dirt fouling the release tab. Plenty of clearance, though, and IMHO pretty unlikely and not a real worry.

Some people are concerned about AD based on a couple of reported instances. I highly suspect they were due to simply pressing the release tab with their fingertip instead of fingerpad. Using the fingertip makes it easy to slip it into the trigger guard while drawing your weapon. Using the finger pad makes you draw with your finger extended alongside the trigger guard, exactly where it should be until ready to fire.

I second the Blackhawk Serpa holster for OCing, especially in your situation.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingz
    Good luck with that public transportation thingy

Z
    It is what it is! For me, its a choice. Everywhere I go is within 20 minutes by bus, and buses are far less expensive than cars. (Cars have a 75% tax on new car purchases, and gas is somewhere around $6/gal. So..... :)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I am assuming that this type of carry is allowed in Israel?
    If my assumption is correct, perhaps appendix carry would solve your concern.
    Ya, in Israel you can CC, OC, and carry just about everywhere (cities seems to be more CC, and border areas more so OC). But, the appendix carry looks surprisingly good I have to say.

Vegas and Boricua - I'll check out the Blackhawk thanks for the recommendation.

OCing where I live is not a political issue in the slightest. People are not uncomfortable with people carrying here. On a daily basis I probably see dozens of soldier (18-21 years old) carrying auto M16's. Security guards OCing, civilians OCing (and plenty CCing I'm sure). And it's also not an issue being "singled out" because so many people carry that at any given place, you can be assured there are probably multiple people carrying as well, and depending where you are as a I stated above, OCing.

So, another question - I guess OCing without some kind of stop (thumb break,etc) is just stupid? Since I've only CCed before (from FL), I've never had to really consider it, so it's almost like starting from scratch!

I use a Blackhawk SERPA holster when I OC....that, situational awareness and sitting with your strong side to the side of the car will reduce the likelihood of anyone seeing or thinking about snatching your pistol....Just because you OC, doesn't mean you have to be on display and stand in the middle of the car where everyone can see...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post

OCing where I live is not a political issue in the slightest. People are not uncomfortable with people carrying here. On a daily basis I probably see dozens of soldier (18-21 years old) carrying auto M16's. Security guards OCing, civilians OCing (and plenty CCing I'm sure). And it's also not an issue being "singled out" because so many people carry that at any given place, you can be assured there are probably multiple people carrying as well, and depending where you are as a I stated above, OCing.
    SWEET. Makes me want to move my atheist butt to the Jewish homeland.

Here are some simple things I have learned in the past year.

1- retention holsters are good, I have a Blackhawk Serpa but there are others.

2- SA, know what is around you, and know when someone gets too close. Try to get a feel for what they are doing, minding their own business or checking you out.

3- Physical barriers are your friend. Walls, counters, poles, seats, etc. Place your gun side to them an noone can get to that side without moving you.

4- Family members or friends can be used like the above barriers.

5- Keep your gun hand free. You can use your arm or elbow to cover the firearm if you begin to feel crowded into. I don't use my hand because I don't want to freak anyone out. But drawing your elbow in tight draws no extra attention. Also keep your gun hand free in case you need the weapon.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

VIP Member
    I don't really like the serpa holsters. My finger doesn't go to the right spot, so they are slow for me to access. I do however love my thumb-break paddle holster.

I OC in a Bianchi Accumold and love it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

For OC, I suggest you find a retention holster that works for you, and then practice extensively. I use a Blackhawk SERPA CQC in paddle configuration, and my finger ends up extended along the frame, above the trigger, where it should be. The Safariland ALS is a good design, too. Another approach to consider would be the Safepacker from Wilderness Tactical.

I hate crowds and avoid them whenever possible, but if I know I'm going to be in a crowded area, I prefer CC. IF I find myself in a crowd unexpectedly, and I'm OC, then I just deal with it. Good luck in Israel. Quite an adjustment.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

As usual, thank yall for the great replies, lots of great info. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links