WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday - Page 10

WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

This is a discussion on WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wondering how the demonstration is going. I also wonder if China Wok is going to allow guns in there store, and if officers are ...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

Administrator
    I'm wondering how the demonstration is going. I also wonder if China Wok is going to allow guns in there store, and if officers are going to 'overstep their boundary's' enforcing Wisconsin law and protecting the rights of the business owner.

I hope I don't see anything today at work that may be illegal activity, I wouldn't want to investigate further and over step my bounds.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm wondering how the demonstration is going. I also wonder if China Wok is going to allow guns in there store, and if officers are going to 'overstep their boundary's' enforcing Wisconsin law and protecting the rights of the business owner.

I hope I don't see anything today at work that may be illegal activity, I wouldn't want to investigate further and over step my bounds.

it maybe illegal but the man in the video dining surely was not.....it was a non issue else the employee would have called the cops
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    the entire problem with the encounter is that the LEO created a conflict where one needed not to exist....
    conflict did not happen that would indicate FOF. There was confrontation, not conflict.

The LEO asked him to put the gun in his car and the guy agreed. The guy wasn't detained and there is no proof that the second encounter happened. Why is this so hard to understand people?

IMO nothing happened from this encounter I believe this thread is arguing a moot point. It was blown out of proportion. The officer did nothing wrong and neither did the OCer. How do we know there there wasn't a complaint that sent the LEO in the place?

This is turning into just another cop bashing thread.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Again, not a big supporter of open carry here, but the cop in question saw nothing that may have been illegal activity.
    The problem with the cops actions are that he saw an activity that he did not like personally -look at his body langauge, and facial expression in the vid, this is an angry person-and used his position as a cop to pick a fight.

Here is a question for you-- if a person, not in a uniform-- with this cops facial expression and body language came at you, would you not think he was going to attack you?

Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Wait, the YouTube news report said that the officer allowed the guy to stay armed at the restaurant after they said he could stay there with the gun. The news report varies greatly to what was posted in the link on the original post.

Something smells sort of fishy.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Wait, the YouTube news report said that the officer allowed the guy to stay armed at the restaurant after they said he could stay there with the gun. The news report varies greatly to what was posted in the link on the original post.

Something smells sort of fishy.
    the twisted gun fearing media stinks

Not harassment, in my opinion. And yes, the idea that the camera was on his person, and running before the Officer got there tells me lots...

The Officer seemed to respond responsibly.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    conflict did not happen that would indicate FOF. There was confrontation, not conflict.

i lol'ed

The LEO asked him to put the gun in his car and the guy agreed. The guy wasn't detained and there is no proof that the second encounter happened. Why is this so hard to understand people?

IMO nothing happened from this encounter I believe this thread is arguing a moot point. It was blown out of proportion. The officer did nothing wrong and neither did the OCer. How do we know there there wasn't a complaint that sent the LEO in the place?

This is turning into just another cop bashing thread.

–verb (used without object)
    to come into collision or disagreement; be contradictory, at variance, or in opposition; clash: The account of one eyewitness conflicted with that of the other. My class conflicts with my going to the concert.
    to fight or contend; do battle.
    –noun
    a fight, battle, or struggle, esp. a prolonged struggle; strife.
    controversy; quarrel: conflicts between parties.
    discord of action, feeling, or effect; antagonism or opposition, as of interests or principles: a conflict of ideas.
    a striking together; collision.
    incompatibility or interference, as of one idea, desire, event, or activity with another: a conflict in the schedule.
    Psychiatry. a mental struggle arising from opposing demands or impulses.
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Again, not a big supporter of open carry here, but the cop in question saw nothing that may have been illegal activity.
    The problem with the cops actions are that he saw an activity that he did not like personally -look at his body langauge, and facial expression in the vid, this is an angry person-and used his position as a cop to pick a fight.

Here is a question for you-- if a person, not in a uniform-- with this cops facial expression and body language came at you, would you not think he was going to attack you?
    So it's not illegal to stay on another's property after they tell you you are not welcome? The officer asked the people who run the restaurant if that was OK... the answer was no. Therefore, our OC'er was not in compliance with the law.

Wisconsin might be different, because in the other 49 states that is called trespassing.
    And no, the body language doesn't or wouldn't concern me. It was a direct and to the point contact, the body language indicated he wasn't there to bake me cupcakes and be my friend. If you want the police to give out hugs and teddy bears good luck.

Lets reverse the rolls for a minute; Lets say the trooper loves OC, and loves the OC movement. The owner still does not. Would it be OK for the trooper to ignore the owners wishes not to have a customer carrying in his business?
    Or lets the issue wasn't a gun. Lets say our OC'er was drunk and trooper loves drunks. Is it OK for the trooper to ignore the drunk because he happens to like drunks? After all, sitting in a restaurant drunk may or may not be a crime. Only the business can make that call. A call that the business made in this case.

Sorry you guys don't like the law, you must work to get it changed. Whining and sniveling about the police enforcing the law isn't going to gain you any support.

I think the youtube link Logan posted summed things up well.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 22nd, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ok, If the trooper went up to the clerk and inquired whether guns were permitted with the though in his head of, I don't like people open carrying in the resturant while I'm eating, mind if I throw this guy out? That's inappropriate behavior. If on the other hand, the clerk gave kind of a head nod in the OC's direction to indicate he wished for the trooper to check the OC out, that's a totally different story. Thing is, we don't know if the clerk indicated that or not, as it would have been off camera view. But, it very well could have been the case.
    Now, sending the deputies to his home for impersonating a LEO, on the other hand, IF this occured, it was most definately out of bounds and harrassment.
    That's how I see it at least.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    –verb (used without object)
    to come into collision or disagreement; be contradictory, at variance, or in opposition; clash: The account of one eyewitness conflicted with that of the other. My class conflicts with my going to the concert.
    to fight or contend; do battle.
    –noun
    a fight, battle, or struggle, esp. a prolonged struggle; strife.
    controversy; quarrel: conflicts between parties.
    discord of action, feeling, or effect; antagonism or opposition, as of interests or principles: a conflict of ideas.
    a striking together; collision.
    incompatibility or interference, as of one idea, desire, event, or activity with another: a conflict in the schedule.
    Psychiatry. a mental struggle arising from opposing demands or impulses.
    you are assuming that the LEO is against open carry. Even if he was the only thing that would make sense is #5 and again that assumes that the LEO is against open carry. In the video he clearly states that if its OK to have a gun in the place then there is no problem. He asked the person to lock the gun in the car so as to respect the restaurant owner's wishes.

I stand by what I said, confrontation not a conflict.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    Ok, If the trooper went up to the clerk and inquired whether guns were permitted with the though in his head of, I don't like people open carrying in the resturant while I'm eating, mind if I throw this guy out?
    So now we are protecting the 2A, but want to police thoughts? There always is a two way street in a free society.

I despise drunk drivers, thieves and drug dealers so I better not go out looking for them.
    The trooper made it very evident that he knew what the law is, and even relayed that to the OC'er. Had the restaurateur said that it was fine for him to carry, there would not have been an issue.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The trooper made it very evident that he knew what the law is, and even relayed that to the OC'er. Had the restaurateur said that it was fine for him to carry, there would not have been an issue.
    And the trooper was pretty polite about it. He didn't say his opinion. He just asked the employee if the restaurant allowed guns, and said that if they did there was no problem.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Levathain View Post
    The officer said he should inform a cop before taking his weapon off, no one said that a man with a gun walked into the diner.
    Thanks for telling me what I did or didn't hear...Ummm not really.

The direct quote just after the 2A comment is "He said he saw you carry a gun in here."

Obviously he is referring to someone else in the restaurant who spoke to the police precipitating the incident. BOOM. Thank you for playing.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Sponsored Links