WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

This is a discussion on WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lets see, when he walks up to the table he specifically says the guy needs to go secure the gun in his auto because the ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

Lets see, when he walks up to the table he specifically says the guy needs to go secure the gun in his auto because the restaurant doesn't allow carry. Apparently told to him by a person in the establishment.

You can clearly hear the officer tell the guy that if they establishment allowed him to carry that would be fine it was a 2A issue but that isn't the case in this place.

As far as asking the guy to leave, does anyone think there is a remote possibility that an employee notified the cops that there was a guy sitting over there with a gun. Maybe the employee wasn't comfortable telling the OC guy that he needed to high tail it out. Guns do scare some people unfortunately.

I honestly hope WI changes its gun laws regarding CC soon, as I still have family up there and would like to be able to carry when I go back, but ruffling LEO's or business owners feathers is the wrong way to go about it in my book. You folks get to vote, maybe you could get some politicians in office that are more friendly to the cause.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It is in fact his job to do so. He did nothing wrong, and actually handled the situation well.
    The OC'er was obviously looking to cause a scene, and got exactly what he wanted.

Have fun at your peaceful assembly.
    The fact he "just happen to have" a camcorder with him, and running, before the LEO even talked to the counter woman, or approached, seems suspicious to me. Like he hoping something might be said to him.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    The fact he "just happen to have" a camcorder with him, and running, before the LEO even talked to the counter woman, or approached, seems suspicious to me. Like he hoping something might be said to him.
    Now, now, surely you aren't suggesting that folks go out and look to start a ruckus are you.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I found that a bit odd too. I don't usually go around with my camera/phone or whatever recording, don't think too many other folks do either.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Most people in WI who OC have at least a voice recorder on them, because police interactions happen quite frequently.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    As far as asking the guy to leave, does anyone think there is a remote possibility that an employee notified the cops that there was a guy sitting over there with a gun. Maybe the employee wasn't comfortable telling the OC guy that he needed to high tail it out. Guns do scare some people unfortunately.
    Like said in the story, the troopers were already outside and saw the guy holster his gun and go into the restaurant. They already knew he was there and didn't need to be called.
    Logan - NRA Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post
    Not sure how you think the OC'er was looking for a scene. He was just eating lunch there like he does quite often. He even got up and left when he was told. He would have left the situation at that if it hadn't been for the 3 officers who showed up at his house later that night.

Like I said, I won't be going. Just posting it here to share with everyone here. I would never demonstrate or protest for open carry, but only open carry by going about my everyday business.
    I always record myself eating Chinese food too. I also hurry in to get my camera set before a cop pops in and tells me exactly what I suspect he's going to. It is so obviously an attempted set up, its actually insulting to my intelligence.

I'll support peoples rights 24/7 'till I die. But I got to say, this shenanigan is an embarrassment to 2A supporters everywhere. This is the exact kind of antics that many feel do more harm than good, and why the OC crowd is having trouble gaining momentum in the gun community as a whole.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Making an unsolicited inquiry into store policy is a mall cop mentality. If the employees/management haven't asked for LEO intervention, then he needs to find something else to worry about besides volunteering to enforce the policies of a private business.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I always record myself eating Chinese food too. I also hurry in to get my camera set before a cop pops in and tells me exactly what I suspect he's going to. It is so obviously an attempted set up, its actually insulting to my intelligence.

I'll support peoples rights 24/7 'till I die. But I got to say, this shenanigan is an embarrassment to 2A supporters everywhere. This is the exact kind of antics that many feel do more harm than good, and why the OC crowd is having trouble gaining momentum in the gun community as a whole.
    It was a flip pocket camera that was probably set up as soon as he saw the police come in.
    Logan - NRA Member

Administrator

What was I thinking....I thought people here would actually care. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother checking these web sites. Too bad I have nothing else to do at work.
    We do care very much about 2A issues here. That is why you are getting some very logical and thought out responses instead of the typical jumping on the bandwagon posts without actually examining the story and what was posted.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I'll agree with you that the recording seems a bit suspicious, but perhaps there is a problem with LEOs in his area harassing OCers. The way I read the story and watched the video, is that the guy had to pull his weapon out of his trunk as per his state law. The LEOs were sitting in the parking lot and noticed this. (Luckily I dont have to pull my weapon out of my trunk to arm myself or else I might not carry as often.) A dude putting his gun on in the middle of a parking lot is a little strange to most people. The man then heads in and grabs his food, sits down and starts eating. The Officer then after having his buddies arrive figures he should do something about this? If the Officer had a problem to begin with he would have said something to the man before he let him walk across the parking lot and get his food. I could see this as an incident where the LEO was like "hey when my buds get here I will show em just how tough I am and confront a dude with a gun". I have great respect for LEOs, but we have to admit there are some out there that are outta control.

Well with most other encounters that people have reported in WI, it seems that there is almost always 3 officers who approach the person OCing. Makes sense, as when I was in the military we always wanted to have 3:1 odds. So they may have just called for backup when they saw him walk in. 10-15 mins later when backup arrived, they came in and confronted the OCer. Later that night when the sheriffs arrived at his house, there was also 3 of them.
    Logan - NRA Member

It is in fact his job to do so. He did nothing wrong, and actually handled the situation well.
    No it is not. It is his job to enforce the law. This was not enforcing the law, this was picking a fight. It is not his job to create situations.

Again, not a supporter of OC here. As to the camera, I have no idea what camera he used, but I can set my phone to 'vid' in less than 3 seconds. That cop had the body language and facial expression of starting a fight, and the OCer had plenty of time to set up a phone cam.

But that is the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Again, not a supporter of OC here.
    Too bad if you want to carry a gun in WI, you MUST OC it. Could avoid these situations altogether if we could just CC.

I find OC easy at times as you don't have to worry about hiding the gun, but it's much easier to just CC and not draw the attention.
    Logan - NRA Member

Cops that messed with blacks eating at the white counter had the same mind set! Cant let these peons get out of their place! He aint breaking no law but let me ask the counter man if he wants a black eating in his restraunt.

Same actions, just a different time and civil rights activist to be messed with.

Like said in the story, the troopers were already outside and saw the guy holster his gun and go into the restaurant. They already knew he was there and didn't need to be called.
    I didn't say the folks at the place called the cops. I said that maybe they chose to have the cops address the guy instead of asking the guy to leave directly.

It is not uncommon for folks to not want to get directly involved in something that might be uncomfortable, especially if the other party has a weapon.

I wasn't there, I don't know exactly how it went down. All I know for sure is what is seen and heard on the video tape. Nothing I saw or heard there is out of line or goes beyond what I know of the WI laws.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links