WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

This is a discussion on WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I get up every day and pretty much follow the same routine. I get dressed, put on my gun and grab my wallet. It contains ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I get up every day and pretty much follow the same routine. I get dressed, put on my gun and grab my wallet. It contains my concealed carry permit, drivers license and other identification I might need. I don't grab them to cause a scene or in hopes there will be a problem; but if there is I want to be prepared.
    In states where O.C. is the only way to carry, the people I've talked to say that it is best to carry a recording device of some sort, just in case. Not to cause a scene but for your own defense.
    Maybe some feel it would be better if folks wouldn't O.C. at all, it just draws too much attention. If so what would we have them do for personal protection?
    Keep in mind that if they can do without a firearm, so can we. If pepper spray or a whistle would work for them then it logically would also work for us.
    I've worn a badge in an open carry state and some of the deputies didn't care and some were personally opposed to it. Personal opinion definitely impacted the deputies actions. My opinions impacted how I approached a situation.
    We were taught that what ever else we did we had better "Cover Your Behind". That isn't the word the instructors used of course. LOL
    Maybe the same thing goes where open carry is the only recourse. Maybe????
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    No it is not. It is his job to enforce the law. This was not enforcing the law, this was picking a fight. It is not his job to create situations.

Again, not a supporter of OC here. As to the camera, I have no idea what camera he used, but I can set my phone to 'vid' in less than 3 seconds. That cop had the body language and facial expression of starting a fight, and the OCer had plenty of time to set up a phone cam.

But that is the way I see it.
    That is the way you see it, and unfortunately, you don't know what his job is or isn't. The LEO's job encompasses a lot more than simply enforcing the law. It is a matter of being proactive and reactive. Pick which one you want, they both have their faults.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Now change this scenario around to where the guy was CCing instead of OCing. Now do you have a problem with the actions of the officer? It swings both ways. He's minding his own business eating lunch where he legally has the right to be. Next thing you know, an officer with a big ego comes in and ruins his day. I'd be getting my money back, and in these times we all know an establishment like that cant afford to lose customers.

Some of you really need to read the info posted on the other sites before you jump to your conclusions.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

If the guy was CCing noone would know he had a gun, so noone would be uncomfortable, and he wouldn't have been asked to leave.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The LEO's job encompasses a lot more than simply enforcing the law.
    I disagree. A cop's job is to do nothing more than enforce the law. That's where it begins and ends. The carrier walked in made his order and was eating food when the cop (who knew he was in there for 15 minutes) came rushing in and went out of his way to enquire as to the establishments firearms policy. Shouldn't the policy have been fairly evident from the fact that the Carrier had been sitting there for 15 minutes W/ out the restaraunt staff asking him to leave?

Open carry is legal in the state of Wisconsin. the cop went out of his way to harass a private citizen who wasn't breaking any laws.

Then later the cop comes up W/ some BS bougus charge of 'impersonating a police officer" get real

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I disagree. A cop's job is to do nothing more than enforce the law.
    Oh OK, I didn't know that. I must have been doing things all wrong all these years.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    Now change this scenario around to where the guy was CCing instead of OCing. Now do you have a problem with the actions of the officer? It swings both ways. He's minding his own business eating lunch where he legally has the right to be. Next thing you know, an officer with a big ego comes in and ruins his day.
    The unfortunate response is that they wouldnt see him CCing, so there wouldnt have been an issue

Edit- sniped - From what I read it is ONLY legal to OC in WI. Why do we feel it is ok for the officer to approach this man? The man had NO CHOICE other than to strap his personal defense weapon onto his hip and enter an establishment. I will step out on a limb and say that there was not a sign prohibiting firearms (I would like to think we as firearms owners are responsible) and this man was well within his rights to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I always record myself eating Chinese food too. I also hurry in to get my camera set before a cop pops in and tells me exactly what I suspect he's going to. It is so obviously an attempted set up, its actually insulting to my intelligence.

I'll support peoples rights 24/7 'till I die. But I got to say, this shenanigan is an embarrassment to 2A supporters everywhere. This is the exact kind of antics that many feel do more harm than good, and why the OC crowd is having trouble gaining momentum in the gun community as a whole.
    SIXTO, if you think it's a setup, then the only "bait" was the OC. Which is problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    Some of you really need to read the info posted on the other sites before you jump to your conclusions.
    Read through it, and none of it changed my opinion one bit.

Although this guys car does have a few too many antenas on it. I hope he put an oversized alternator on it so he doesn't ruin his battery.

Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Oh OK, I didn't know that. I must have been doing things all wrong all these years.
    So you think it's ok for a cop to approach a person who is engaged in a legal activity and tell him it's not ok for him to do it?

I'm almost positive I already know the answer to this but; Do you think it's ok for a cop to hide behind his badge to harras someone who's engaged in a legal activity that he doesn't approve of?

There wasn't an issue here until the cop made one and I hope this goes as viral as the Rod Tauson incident

I'll support peoples rights 24/7 'till I die. But I got to say, this shenanigan is an embarrassment to 2A supporters everywhere.
    Wow, that's almost exactly what the cop said

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    SIXTO, if you think it's a setup, then the only "bait" was the OC. Which is problematic.
    Yes, you have a point here. However, they didn't get an over the top response, yet they are trying to make something out of nothing here. That is where I have a problem with this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We do care very much about 2A issues here. That is why you are getting some very logical and thought out responses instead of the typical jumping on the bandwagon posts without actually examining the story and what was posted.
    Be serious.

Your initial response was a knee jerk reaction so common among a certain portion of the LEO community that can reasonably be called "badge heavy".

In areas such as Wisconsin where there is considerable official resistance to OC, it is not at all unusual for OCers to carry a recording device and to turn it on when it appears there may be interaction with an LEO...heck, they even do it as a matter of course here (and we have very few officious, badge heavy LEOs like the one this individual ran across).

Absent a complaint from the business (which would certainly have made the officer's question to the cashier somewhat different...like "where is the individual about whom we were called?") the officer had no business seeking a reason to confront a citizen peacefully eating lunch.

If you cannot see that the "incident" was created by the trooper and had absolutely nothing to do with his duty, then I can only say that you obviously suffer from what we call "blue blindness"...the inability to see the actions of fellow officers as anything but justified.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

You have to understand some of the Wisconsin background, including police chief (Milwaukee) comments that they will "prone out" anyone they see open carrying. The state A.G. issued a letter stating open carry was legal as long as it was not within 1000 ft of a school. You can't have it loaded/on you in your vehicle because that would be "concealed." Many of the cops don't like OC and harassment is fairly common, which is why those who do it often carry cameras or voice recorders. He probably turned it on when he saw the officers were coming in, just in case.

We should be supporting those who are following the law and standing up for LEGAL behavior. The taped encounter was OK, although it appears the cop was looking for a reason to get him to take his gun off. The visit that night was wrong.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Administrator
    I have to run, but I will respond to all later tonight.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Any ham radio hobbyist is prone to have multiple antenna's on their cars depending on the bands they use.

A tiny car most certainly isn't considered a police car except in perhaps Europe where they have very narrow streets and very expensive gas.

Here in Michigan open carry is permitted as no laws are on Michigan books to say it isn't.

Our OC'ers routinely carry at least 2 voice recorders and are now also carrying those inexpensive flip recorders. Multiple incidents with LEO's have taught them.

Also going out of your way as a LEO to start a problem where none existed before is NOT their duty as that Trooper is going to find out when that demonstration occurs. The Top Brass are not going to be very happy with him if indeed they are happy with him now.
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links