WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday - Page 5

WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

This is a discussion on WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The man may or may not have scanners in his car. How does that have anything to do with the initial confrontation? There was no ...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    The man may or may not have scanners in his car. How does that have anything to do with the initial confrontation? There was no need for the Officer to approach that man, he had done nothing wrong. If he is a weirdo scanner freak or a music bumpin goob only relates to after the fact.

I wasn't detracting from what he has, I was interested in the toys, is all. I'd have the sound system too if I could afford it, as well as the two trunk mounted scanners and the one in the dash under the FM radio, but that might be the control for his sound system?

My apologies!
    Walther P99 AS full size 9mm
    Kahr P9 compact 9mm

NRA
    Michigan Sheriff's Association
    “The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    The man may or may not have scanners in his car. How does that have anything to do with the initial confrontation? There was no need for the Officer to approach that man, he had done nothing wrong. If he is a weirdo scanner freak or a music bumpin goob only relates to after the fact.
    Its a handy way to discredit him.

Michael

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I disagree. A cop's job is to do nothing more than enforce the law.

Then later the cop comes up W/ some BS bougus charge of 'impersonating a police officer" get real
    Where was the "charge"? That wasnt part of the presented here story.

So you think it's ok for a cop to approach a person who is engaged in a legal activity and tell him it's not ok for him to do it?
    Yes. That is not exactly what happened here, but in some circumstances, yes, I do know that it OK to do just that. For example, a man wears a ski mask into a stop and rob. An officer happens to be there... its not illegal to wear a ski mask into a store by itself, but could there be other implications, and could it get to the point of a law violation? Sure it can.
    I'm almost positive I already know the answer to this but; Do you think it's ok for a cop to hide behind his badge to harras someone who's engaged in a legal activity that he doesn't approve of?
    No, of course not. Where did this happen in this story?
    There wasn't an issue here until the cop made one and I hope this goes as viral as the Rod Tauson incident

Wow, that's almost exactly what the cop said
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Be serious.
    I am.
    Your initial response was a knee jerk reaction so common among a certain portion of the LEO community that can reasonably be called "badge heavy".
    Please do explain why my response was badge heavy.

In areas such as Wisconsin where there is considerable official resistance to OC, it is not at all unusual for OCers to carry a recording device and to turn it on when it appears there may be interaction with an LEO...heck, they even do it as a matter of course here (and we have very few officious, badge heavy LEOs like the one this individual ran across).
    Again, please do tell us about badge heavy.

Absent a complaint from the business (which would certainly have made the officer's question to the cashier somewhat different...like "where is the individual about whom we were called?") the officer had no business seeking a reason to confront a citizen peacefully eating lunch.
    Oh really? The officer has no business questionioning people semingly going about there business? Lets say an officer is walking his beat, and some guy comes out of the shadows, fiddles with a car parked on the street, and get's in fiddling with the radio... was there a law broken here? No. Do you think it is a good idea for the officer to stop and "harass" that individual? Or how about the guy standing outside of a bank on a Friday afternoon with a duffle bag. Should the officer simple keep moving, after all no law has been broken. Or has it? Besides, our OC friend here wasn't even eating yet. the table is clean, he's huffing and puffing... that leads be to believe he just arrived as well.
    If you cannot see that the "incident" was created by the trooper and had absolutely nothing to do with his duty, then I can only say that you obviously suffer from what we call "blue blindness"...the inability to see the actions of fellow officers as anything but justified.
    That last paragraph is not even close to the truth. If you have spent any amount of time comprehending what I have posted in numerous threads and debates, you would know that is very far from the truth. It would be just as easy for me to toss out the same allegation in reverse to you, but I prefer to have an intellectual debate on the merits of the actual case.

farronwolf you really should know what you're looking at before you try to explain to us what we're seeing.

The stuff in the trunk was a sound system
    So what are the two items mounted on the rear deck? Not the amp or sub, those two items that look very much like scanners?

I actually support open carry. I have no issue with it. What I do have issue's with is the part of the movement who go out and look for trouble and confrontation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Oh really? The officer has no business questionioning people semingly going about there business? Lets say an officer is walking his beat, and some guy comes out of the shadows, fiddles with a car parked on the street, and get's in fiddling with the radio... was there a law broken here? No. Do you think it is a good idea for the officer to stop and "harass" that individual? Or how about the guy standing outside of a bank on a Friday afternoon with a duffle bag. Should the officer simple keep moving, after all no law has been broken. Or has it? Besides, our OC friend here wasn't even eating yet. the table is clean, he's huffing and puffing... that leads be to believe he just arrived as well.
    But that's not what happened. The carrier was sitting at his table minding his own business and carrying a handgun the only possible way he could legally do so. where is the suspicious circumstance for a cop to look into?

So what are the two items mounted on the rear deck? Not the amp or sub, those two items that look very much like scanners?
    Or receivers.

I think Pax mentis nailed it. you aren't going to see it any other way than the cop was right and the plebian was wrong so I see no reason to continue to argue the point

Administrator
    That is what happened. Cop see's a man with a gun (which is probably very out of the ordinary in that area) and investigates. Sorry you don't like it, but that is what cops are supposed to do. The man agrees to comply with the proprietors wishes and cop goes away. He did nothing more than enforce the law.

And you will not see things my way. You can't or won't. That is OK with me, it doesn't matter what you or I think anyway. But I will say that out of the two of us, I'm the only one who has been on both sides of the fence.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That is what happened. Cop see's a man with a gun (which is probably very out of the ordinary in that area) and investigates

Unusual but still legal and not the cop's business

The man agrees to comply with the proprietors wishes and cop goes away. He did nothing more than enforce the law.
    But that's really not how it happened is it? The proprieter didn't have any problem W/ the guy carrying in his shop until th e cop made an issue off it. and that's where the cop over stepped his bounds

But I will say that out of the two of us, I'm the only one who has been on both sides of the fence.
    Why is that relevant? I've never been an HVAC tech either but I can tell when they're screwing up

Administrator

Unusual but still legal and not the cop's business

But it is. And that is where we will have to agree to disagree. I think my examples illustrated my point well enough.

But that's really not how it happened is it? The proprieter didn't have any problem W/ the guy carrying in his shop until th e cop made an issue off it. and that's where the cop over stepped his bounds

Inquiring about an issue is over stepping bounds? So, if a squatter is living in your shed and you don't know it but the police do, they should mind their business and not inform you or ask you about it?

Why is that relevant? I've never been an HVAC tech either but I can tell when they're screwing up
    You know when the heat doesn't work, but that would be about it. And you certainly wouldn't be able to tell a real HVAC tech how to fix the HVAC system.
    "Just blame Sixto"

kpw
    SIXTO, what about the next place of business the man visits or the one after that? Is he going to follow OCers into businesses and ask the owners...or employees if it's ok with them everytime he sees someone OCing?
    Where is the line between safeguarding the public and harrassing innocent people crossed here? As mild and as righteous as this incident seems, it's getting too close for many. Add the later complaint and you get a bunch of people that think it is harrassment. Probably could have been avoided if the officer just kept his personal beliefs to himself and just ate lunch like the other 2 officers. I wonder what the older guys said to him afterwards?
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Administrator
    I think if more people OC'd, it would not be an issue. But, OCing is a rare thing in most places, so there is going to be a few issues like the one we are talking about here.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The cop knew no law had been broken he pushed the issue anyway.

It's really not that hard to say "I'm wrong" is it?

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think if more people OC'd, it would not be an issue. But, OCing is a rare thing in most places, so there is going to be a few issues like the one we are talking about here.
    I've noticed that around here. I still don't see too many OCers but I've noticed a difference in officers reactions. I usually just get a "Hey, how ya doin?".
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Administrator
    The cop knew no law had been broken he pushed the issue anyway.

It's really not that hard to say "I'm wrong" is it?
    What issue was pushed? He asked the business if they allowed it, the answer was no, so he did what he had to do. That is what the state of Wisconsin has decided they want.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I've noticed that around here. I still don't see too many OCers but I've noticed a difference in officers reactions. I usually just get a "Hey, how ya doin?".
    Yeah, that is my reaction too. Its just not the big of a deal, unless it is made one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Its just not the big of a deal, unless it is made one.
    seems like I've heard that before

Administrator
    Yes, yes you have.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links