WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday - Page 9

WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

This is a discussion on WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by usmc3169 mlr1m - how do you know he was doing nothing suspicious? did the officer in question tell you that? - this ...

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    mlr1m - how do you know he was doing nothing suspicious? did the officer in question tell you that? - this is what im saying, people are taking these leaps of imagination.
    I am going only on the information given us in the story. I also stated I had no problem with the officers actions as they appeared to be within his duty. My problem was that by following the law the citizen was forced into a situation that some here call baiting. That is where my problem is.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I am going only on the information given us in the story. I also stated I had no problem with the officers actions as they appeared to be within his duty. My problem was that by following the law the citizen was forced into a situation that some here call baiting. That is where my problem is.

Michael
    I'm confused how is this considered baiting
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Davensquirt View Post
    I'm confused how is this considered baiting
    Thats what i've been wondering.

Michael

I dont think the cop is a bad guy, just seems like he was uncomfortable around a man with a gun. Would it matter if the guy looked like a angry Muslim and maybe had a woman with him with a burka on. or would it matter if the man had a manson tattoo on his forehead would it matter if the man had a kkk hood on or would it matter if the man had a "die pigs" T shirt on.......none of this matters according to our Constitution, but a cop has to think on the fly and they have them spidey senses too. Maybe there was something that made this cop uneasy or he could just be a communist anti-gun left wing....I Dont know but alot of things to think about ehh??
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Question OCer or a Wacker, you decide?

I have only seen what has been posted. I now have several concerns over the OCer. I am a law abiding citizen. I have looked at the web address the OCer has attached to his membership to the OC site. He has personal photos tied into a church website/directories. In looking at the photos hidden within the picture directories. Other photos of his car are there, why would a law abiding citizen have a forward mounted camera in the grill of his car, scanners, etc., nothing illegal, each to its own, but he seems to be some type of Wacker...

I wonder if his church knows what he is doing on their computer system. I now have my own concerns, you may your own conclusions, but now I side fully with the LE.

The goal of OCers is to change the Open Carry laws to benefit all law abiding citizen, how is this benefiting the cause for legitimizing Open Carry in WI?
    Last edited by cuffsnstuff; February 20th, 2010 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Spelling errors, missing words. Sorry all.

VIP Member
    After looking at everything I could find I have come to the conclusion that the guy is a total tool. I also conclude that the video and later cop visit is inconclusive. Could it be that said tool bag is being harrassed? Yes, but I don't see enough in the video to really know what caused this scene to happen. I can't say one way or the other. It could also be that said tool bag is fishing for trouble. I just don't know.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It is in fact his job to do so. He did nothing wrong, and actually handled the situation well.
    The OC'er was obviously looking to cause a scene, and got exactly what he wanted.

Have fun at your peaceful assembly.
    Sorry Sixto, the officer overstepped his authority. The restaurant is private property, not public domain. Unless the owner or manager (counterperson does not have the authority unless expressed by the owner) called in a tresspassing complaint the officer has no right to interfere. And how do you say the OC'er was "looking" to cause a scene? He was sitting down, eating his lunch.

This police officer was wrong, abused his authority and should be punished. Does that mean he should be fired? No, I dont think that would solve the problem. He needs to be educated and then maybe he will be able to respect the legal rights of others.

VIP Member
    Halfway through the vidoe the cops states that a person told him a man with a gun just walked into the diner. It's after the camera is in the bag.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

GM
    I was not there and for that reason I might be wrong, but IMO the video does not show any harassment; guns were not allowed in that place. I think that the LEO was doing his job.

Concerning the guy’s site. Some of the stuff there are pretty weird, and even worse considering that his site is part of a church’s web page; then we have the car with all those toys (nice toys by the way), the camcorder running before the LEO addressed the counter woman; I think they are too many coincidences.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

GM
    I checked all his pictures, and I found a folder called “Me”. I assume that it contains pics of him; to my surprise, it looks that the guy is a minister! This is totally crazy considering some of the other pics.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    I go to Wis regularly and even lived there until age 23 and never saw any one OC except hunting, did it myself. Going back in March to Waukesha Co, bet I don't see OC then either.
    So I expect there was an agenda in place when the guy took his gun from the car to go in that place. If not, he probably has to go to a new place everyday because if he went to the same few places everyday, the answer to the Patrol officer would have been yes we allow guns.
    I hope Wis gets CC and I hope Wis CC supporters get smart about it. Some of the stuff I read about the issue here on this forum is not, IMO, the best way.
    What do I mean, I mean the legislative process will have to be used, not rallies that are fun for some and scare the sheep that are in larger numbers than OCers and vote, too.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Halfway through the vidoe the cops states that a person told him a man with a gun just walked into the diner. It's after the camera is in the bag.
    The officer said he should inform a cop before taking his weapon off, no one said that a man with a gun walked into the diner.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy1 View Post
    Sorry Sixto, the officer overstepped his authority. The restaurant is private property, not public domain. Unless the owner or manager (counterperson does not have the authority unless expressed by the owner) called in a tresspassing complaint the officer has no right to interfere. And how do you say the OC'er was "looking" to cause a scene? He was sitting down, eating his lunch.

This police officer was wrong, abused his authority and should be punished. Does that mean he should be fired? No, I dont think that would solve the problem. He needs to be educated and then maybe he will be able to respect the legal rights of others.
    Did you watch the video?

I'm not trying to be smart with that question, but it is what it is. This has turned into fact vs. opinion. And an employee does have implied consent over management practice as far as the law is concerned, not that it matters in this debate.
    Because we feel strongly about open carry and firearms in general, doesn't mean we can ignore law and common sense. The video clearly shows the officer asking if they allow guns in the restaurant, and it clearly shows an Asian man looking at our OC'er prior to the officer making contact, as if he is pointing the OC'er out. That is plain as day in the video. The employee clearly says No, they do not allow guns in their restaurant.
    This is such a clear cut case, I'm not sure why there is 7 pages of discussion on this.

Back in post # 108 I asked this and got no reply, so I'll ask the same of you;

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    How was he wrong Dixie? What would you have done differently?

Pretend you are a judge presiding over a lawsuit the OC'er has brought against the trooper. On what basis could you find him at fault?

Or better yet, pretend you are the attorney representing the OC'er. Make your case to the jury.
    I'll ask another question too; If the business does not want our OC'er there with his gun, do they (the business) have the right to show him the door?

Incidentally, does anyone know what the number one reason LEO's get complained about in the U.S. is?

I know; It's inaction

The trooper would be taking on far more liability for his inaction rather than his actions, no matter if you agree with the action or not. I just thought that was an interesting thought to throw into the conversation.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 21st, 2010 at 02:48 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

the entire problem with the encounter is that the LEO created a conflict where one needed not to exist....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Bingo, it was none of the Officers business unless he was contacted 1st. Unfortunatly there is not enough info here to make that determination.

Sixto is correct when he is saying any employee is an agent of the property owner/leaser/renter in most states.

I do not understand why a lot of you think it is OK for a LEO to bother someone just because they have a lot of antennas on their car, dress funny or are a little odd a wing nut etc. If an individule is not doing any thing unlawfull law enforcement has no business even talking to them. And no I am not saying a LEO cant stop someone with a mask on carrying a shotgun walking into a bank.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Sponsored Links