WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday

This is a discussion on WI State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just thought I would post this from OCDO. I wasn't involved and won't be making the demonstration. Just thought I would share the story with ...

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Just thought I would post this from OCDO. I wasn't involved and won't be making the demonstration. Just thought I would share the story with the people here.

Here's a link to this page: State Trooper harasses law-abiding Open-Carrier. Demonstration this Sunday
    A link to the page that started all this: State Police interaction
    And a link to the YouTube video of the first situation: YouTube - State Police interaction

See back-story here:

State Police interaction - Wisconsin - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

Time and date is set:

Date: Sunday February 21st

Time: 12:30pm

Starbucks
    N65W24950 Main Street
    Sussex, WI 53089

We will be meeting at Starbucks, try to be there at 12:30 sharp. Once we meet there we will be heading over to the State Patrol Office in Waukesha to demonstrate outside the building. If you don't make the 12:30 meeting time at Starbucks in Sussex plan to catch up with us at the State Patrol headquarters around 1pm 21115 East Moreland Boulevard, Waukesha, WI

Open-Carry strongly encouraged, but not required.

We will all be OC'ing as we always do when we go about or daily business.

Local media will be contacted and present.

After the demonstration outside State Patrol district office, people will be heading to China Wok in Sussex (near Starbucks) for a mid afternoon lunch/meal.

China Wok
    N65W24838 Main St.
    Sussex, WI 53089

A Wisconsin Carry member was sitting for lunch at China-Wok in Sussex, WI

A state trooper entered the establishment and demanded/berated the counter staff to know if they allowed guns in the business. The confused staff initially indicated that they did not.

See the troopers behavior here:

State Police interaction - Wisconsin - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

The same state trooper later contacted the Waukesha County Sheriff and suggested that our member was impersonating a police officer because he was open-carrying (completely legal) and driving a Hyundai Elantra that has antennae on it. (when was the last time you saw a Hyundai Elantra used as a police vehicle?)

3 Waukesha County Sheriffs paid a visit to our member at 10:30 at night on Monday in response to the state troopers misplaced complaint.

Please join us in Sunday to say to the State Patrol that their harassment of a law-abiding citizen is not acceptable.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

VIP Member
    I watched the video and saw no harassment. Officer appeared to enter and ask if guns were allow. He was told "no" by the woman working there. He then told the person he would have to leave. The officer specifically stated that if guns were allowed then it was not a problem. Not sure how this constitutes harassment.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I watched the video and saw no harassment. Officer appeared to enter and ask if guns were allow. He was told "no" by the woman working there. He then told the person he would have to leave. The officer specifically stated that if guns were allowed then it was not a problem. Not sure how this constitutes harassment.
    +1 I see nothing wrong here.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I didn't really see any abuse either. Just a busy body cop with nothing better to do. Really the cop should have minded his own buisness. If the owner asks the cop to make the guy leave, then fine, but otherwise this was just a cop looking for trouble.

I think it is wrong for the cop to go asking if he can throw an OCer out.

The same state trooper later contacted the Waukesha County Sheriff and suggested that our member was impersonating a police officer because he was open-carrying (completely legal) and driving a Hyundai Elantra that has antennae on it. (when was the last time you saw a Hyundai Elantra used as a police vehicle?)

3 Waukesha County Sheriffs paid a visit to our member at 10:30 at night on Monday in response to the state troopers misplaced complaint.
    This is the main harassment part.
    Logan - NRA Member

what business is it of the cop's to ask if that restaraunt allows guns?

Sounds like someone who is more than a little "badge heavy" and should be relieved of the load.

Well, it's not really the cop's job to ask the guy to leave unless the business owner asks him to. If the business owner wanted the guy to leave, it's his responsibility.

Then they come to his house late at night? While there have definitely been worse situations, I'd count this as harassment in my book.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I didn't see a big problem on the youtube, but my question is..isn't that 'no firearms' policy supposed to be posted somewhere that is easy to see BEFORE you enter? If not, how is someone to know? I can see where things could have ended differently with different attitudes all around, and all for lack of a notification.

I also agree that if the owner did not call or complain..why were they even asked about it??
    Things like this are hard to know from just a short clip, but what was seen raised some questions

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I didn't see a big problem on the youtube, but my question is..isn't that 'no firearms' policy supposed to be posted somewhere that is easy to see BEFORE you enter? If not, how is someone to know? I can see where things could have ended differently with different attitudes all around, and all for lack of a notification.
    As far as we know, there isn't a "no gun" policy at the store. The worker seems to have only stated that because she was intimidated by the officer and didn't know what to say. When asked about the policy again, she seemed confused and didn't answer.

And yes, paaiyan, the officers shouldn't have asked the member to leave the restaurant without the business asking them to.
    Logan - NRA Member

When I parked my car, I noticed a state trooper and thought it was strange he was there as I have never seen state police in the town. I went to my trunk to grab my firearm, placed the case on top of the trunk, put the magazine in my XD45, put the XD in my holster and proceeded into the restaurant. I had ordered my food, sat down, finished my meal by 11:30. Almost as soon as I finished, two LEOs had walked in and a third about 10 seconds later. He had looked at my holstered firearm with a strange face, told me not to touch it, asked the lady working there if they allowed guns in the store. Originally she said no and the one LEO told me they do not allow guns in the restaurant. I told him I was unaware of that and I had been there several times before. He then sort of backed of and asked the lady again, to which she did not want to answer.
    It seems as if the troopers were already parked outside, possibly waiting for somebody else to eat with. The member then got out and had to take his gun out of his vehicle (firearms must be unloaded and encased in a vehicle in WI), and the troopers saw this. Apparently the officer wasn't happy with this guy openly carrying a handgun, and felt the need to go in there and cause a scene.

One thing that really perturbed me was one the LEO that was parked there said to me I should notify them when I plan on taking my gun out.
    Logan - NRA Member

Here's the official press release from Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is organizing an Open-Carry rally this Sunday Feb. 21st in
    Sussex Wisconsin. Members from across the state will be joining us to raise
    awareness of the right to carry in Wisconsin based upon recent events amongst
    one of our members.

On Monday Feb. 15th, one of our members, "Joseph" was doing something he has
    done on many occasions. That is sitting down for lunch at China-Wok in Sussex,
    WI while open-carrying as law-abiding citizens do in Wisconsin. The only
    difference on this day was a Wisconsin State Trooper, "Trooper Kneisler" was in
    the parking lot. On this day, this particular Trooper was on a mission to place
    his personal desires above his professional responsibilities. It appears to us
    at Wisconsin Carry that Trooper Kneisler was determined to oust Joseph from the
    restaurant before he had any knowledge of the stores policy or even that the
    store owners had any desire for his intervention. Don't take our word for it.
    When Joseph saw Trooper Kneisler heading into the restaurant, he pulled out his
    recording device (standard accessory for many of us who want to make sure we
    have documentation in the event of unlawful conduct by law-enforcement) and
    video-taped the encounter:

YouTube - State Police interaction

Unfortunately this video is not the end of the story. Late Monday night Joseph
    was visited by 3 Waukesha County Sheriffs Deputies at his home. Indications
    from the deputies was that Trooper Kneisler had continued his persecution of
    Joseph by contacting them and untruthfully suggesting Joseph was trying to
    impersonate a police officer. Reasons given included that he was
    "open-carrying" and that he has CB Radio antennae on his vehicle (a Hyundai
    Elantra)?

As would be expected, the deputies determined State Trooper Kneisler's complaint
    was unfounded and left.

Our members will be taking the opportunity to raise awareness of this improper
    law-enforcement action and show our support for Joseph and the right of all
    law-abiding residents of Wisconsin to exercise their right to carry by joining
    us in Sussex this Sunday. We will be meeting at the Starbucks in Sussex at
    24950 West Main Street. The Rally will begin at 12:30 sharp. After coffee and
    meet-n-greet at Starbucks we will hold an awareness rally at the State Patrol
    District Headquarters at 21115 East Moreland Boulevard, Waukesha, WI.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is a non-profit Wisconsin corporation dedicated to the
    preservation and reclamation of the basic rights critical to a free society. Our
    mission statement can be viewed at our website. WISCONSINCARRY.ORG.

On January 8th 2010 Wisconsin Carry, Inc. filed a lawsuit in Federal Court to
    challenge the constitutionality of Wisconsin's onerous Gun Free School Zone Act.
    a copy of this lawsuit can be viewed here:
    http://www.wisconsincarry.org/pdf/GFSZ_Complaint.pdf
    Logan - NRA Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    what business is it of the cop's to ask if that restaraunt allows guns?
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Well, it's not really the cop's job to ask the guy to leave unless the business owner asks him to. If the business owner wanted the guy to leave, it's his responsibility.

Then they come to his house late at night? While there have definitely been worse situations, I'd count this as harassment in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post
    As far as we know, there isn't a "no gun" policy at the store. The worker seems to have only stated that because she was intimidated by the officer and didn't know what to say. When asked about the policy again, she seemed confused and didn't answer.

And yes, paaiyan, the officers shouldn't have asked the member to leave the restaurant without the business asking them to.
    It is in fact his job to do so. He did nothing wrong, and actually handled the situation well.
    The OC'er was obviously looking to cause a scene, and got exactly what he wanted.

Have fun at your peaceful assembly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It is in fact his job to do so. He did nothing wrong, and actually handled the situation well.
    The OC'er was obviously looking to cause a scene, and got exactly what he wanted.

Have fun at your peaceful assembly.
    Not sure how you think the OC'er was looking for a scene. He was just eating lunch there like he does quite often. He even got up and left when he was told. He would have left the situation at that if it hadn't been for the 3 officers who showed up at his house later that night.

Like I said, I won't be going. Just posting it here to share with everyone here. I would never demonstrate or protest for open carry, but only open carry by going about my everyday business.
    Logan - NRA Member

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Links