Weapon mounted light for OC?

This is a discussion on Weapon mounted light for OC? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...while-ccw.html The above thread got me thinking. A weapon mounted light may not be agreeable for concealed carry, but what about open carry? The typical ...

Thread: Weapon mounted light for OC?

Weapon mounted light for OC?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...while-ccw.html

The above thread got me thinking. A weapon mounted light may not be agreeable for concealed carry, but what about open carry? The typical gripe is that the weapon mounted light is too bulky and doesn't conceal well. With open carry, this shouldn't be as much of an issue if any.

Would you consider using a weapon mounted light on your OC handgun?
    Have you, or do you carry a light on your pistol? If so, what are your thoughts?

I'm just curious...
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

I have a S&W M&P .40 with a Streamlight TLR-1 which I OC when hunting or fishing and concealment is not an issue. The current holster I use for it has an offset that makes the gun stand out for a good combat grip, but makes concealment difficult.

I have been looking at a Galco OWB leather holster which will allow me to CC the M&P with the light attached under a jacket or longer shirt. I do not think IWB is practical as there are too many snags on the TLR-1 with all its switches and it makes the gun too long and thick making drawing and reholstering slower and more difficult. OTH other brands of lights might be less difficult to CC.

For CC when no cover garment is available or practical, just carry a small SureFire or similar brand flashlight - they are plenty bright enough to illuminate your subject in a CQC situation. My M&P does night stand duty when I am not carrying it - it is jealous of my Springfield 1911 which gets to go with me everywhere. Of course the M&P without the TLR-1 is an excellent CC pistol in its own right. I just like the 1911 better. Hope this helps a little.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    It really has nothing to do with concealment or open carry. It's about finding a holster, gun, and light combination that actually works.

You need to find a holster maker that makes specifically for your gun and light model.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I don't have any weapons with lights attached to them. I prefer to have my light separate. With this being said, I carry a Fenix LD10 95% of the time anyway, daylight or dark. BTW I don't open carry, only CC for me.
    SCGunLover1

I prefer to have my flashlight where I can use it without drawing a weapon. The only issue I would see is the holster, gun, light combo. If you can get that figured out you would be good to go. I'm sure someone makes a CC holster as well. I just like the light more accessible and don't want to carry two. I use my light at work a lot too.

I have a Streamlight TLR-3 on my Glock 19 and I am looking for a good holster for open carry right now. I think it is a smart idea for low light situations when paired with a nice set of tritium night sights.
    God bless our troops!

Yeah. Like I said, I'm just curious.

I think it can be a valuable tool for self defense. Of course it wouldn't replace the function of a pocket flashlight.

I've only seen a couple holsters offered for this purpose.
    Uncle Mike's Universal Belt Holster Ambidextrous Medium and Large Frame Automatics Nylon Olive Drab - MidwayUSA
    Elite Tactical Belt Holster - fits guns with light attached
    And I think I heard that Safariland made some.

Would you consider using a weapon mounted light on your OC handgun?
    Have you, or do you carry a light on your pistol? If so, what are your thoughts?
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Similar questions I've asked friends typically end up with the agreement that a light in one hand and a gun in the other is better than a mounted light so an area can be illuminated without being covered by the gun.

Sure, why not?

I would carry a pocket taclight anyway for more discreet lighting needs, but the gun-light would be helpful in a bad situation.

As you say, OC isn't about concealment, so sure.

Blackhawk makes some good universal holsters (drop-leg). The Omega, I believe?
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I agree that many will pocket carry a light...but +1 on the streamlight tlr
    Had one on my last gun outfitted with a laser...

Links