Back to Kansas once again

This is a discussion on Back to Kansas once again within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, my wife and I will be taking a trip through Kansas this week. Three day tour on our way to Manhattan and back again ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Kansas once again

Back to Kansas once again

Well, my wife and I will be taking a trip through Kansas this week. Three day tour on our way to Manhattan and back again with a stop in Wichita (Park City). I've been to Kansas several times myself in the last year and open carried in places like Fort Scott, Baldwin City, and Lawrence. This time my wife is going with me. I've told her about Kansas and open carry, and I've given her the options without being too pushy. I just think it would be good experience for her to find out what she's going to think about it. Actually, I don't think it's going to be t-shirt weather anywhere we're going this week, so that means OWB will still be under cover for the most part. I would however be interested in hearing her reply if someone walked up to her and asked why she carries a gun.
    Any opinions here? Should my wife step into the open carry waters for the experience? Should I be more insistent that she does? I always respect her choices, and we've never argued about anything. These may be the toughest times for those who choose to assert their rights with open carry. Open carry could become legal in a lot more places in the days ahead.

2. Remove Ads

You are right, it definately will not be t-shirt weather here anytime soon. Hope your trip through God's country goes well.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

VIP Member
    I'd say if the weather conditions allows for open carry encourage her to try it. You've laid the ground works by explaining OC in KS. She may or may not feel comfortable doing it. If she does great, if she doesn't feel comfortable doing it, don't make a big deal out of it.

Remember the rules of marriage. Only wives are allowed to make a fuss when we don't do what they want!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

maybe a strap on thigh holster..that way it'll be below the coat for all to see! have a safe trip! Be alert!
    "Brains before Bullets"

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    maybe a strap on thigh holster..that way it'll be below the coat for all to see! have a safe trip! Be alert!
    Interestingly enough......I have one of those! Heck of an idea!

Ramrod, I don't think the OC atmosphere in Wichita and Park City is going to be very receptive. A PM to DC member Jim Macklin will help you tons with Wichita ordinances.

If you get a desire for a darn good hunk of beef, in a CC friendly place, my sweetie manages a great steakhouse by the Wichita airport.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

New Member Array Willfully Armed's Avatar
    Ram Rod......OC privileges vary by municipality here. local ordinaces over rule state law.

( Hi Tom!)
    WWW.MIDWESTGUNTRADER.COM (its free!)

IDPA sharpshooter SSP, NRA member. jackass

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    Ram Rod......OC privileges vary by municipality here. local ordinaces over rule state law.

( Hi Tom!)
    I understand that. I've usually made contact with the local authorities on places I planned to go. I gave a lot of information to the Riley county PD the other day before someone contacted me back. Everything but my SSN matter of fact. They were very cordial and enlightening. While I've never had any issues OCing in the past and places I've been in Kansas as previously mentioned, I may expect some contact with LEOs more so in Manhattan than those other places if some scared sheep feels like contacting them about me carrying a pistol. At least that's what I got out of our conversation anyway. We'll see how it goes, and you can expect a field report middle of the week or so. (The laptop is staying at home this time since it's in three separate pieces).
    Thanks ICTsnub!

GM
    Good luck and have fun!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Good luck and have fun!
    Thanks! I figure most of our fun will be in the motel room. Relatively speaking of course.

RamRod, Double check with Jim Macklin, He lives in Park City. Open carry is a No No in Wichita and I think in Park City also
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I understand that. I've usually made contact with the local authorities on places I planned to go. I gave a lot of information to the Riley county PD the other day before someone contacted me back. Everything but my SSN matter of fact. They were very cordial and enlightening. While I've never had any issues OCing in the past and places I've been in Kansas as previously mentioned, I may expect some contact with LEOs more so in Manhattan than those other places if some scared sheep feels like contacting them about me carrying a pistol. At least that's what I got out of our conversation anyway. We'll see how it goes, and you can expect a field report middle of the week or so. (The laptop is staying at home this time since it's in three separate pieces).
    Thanks ICTsnub!
    Ram Rod,
    Have lived here in Manhattan the last 8 yrs. and don't really view it as an open carry town/city. Good luck in your OC venture and do keep us posted. Interested to see how it turns out.
    Last edited by rogerh; February 22nd, 2010 at 08:59 AM.

Have fun in Kansas! Be safe! Don't forget to wave.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Seems like a lot of work and hassle for a short trip of OC-ing.

Whether you think or know your in the right, it just seems that with an out of state ID, you will get yourself in more trouble than it is worth (time and money).

Was not sure what you state you "reside in", but why not apply for the Florida non-resident CCH/CCW permit and just know that you will be legal to conceal carry in a certain number of states (and Kansas does recognize Florida permits).
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links