NRA not pro OC in Va State Forest

This is a discussion on NRA not pro OC in Va State Forest within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From a VA-ALERT. [First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL] We need to hit the State Forest comment ...

Thread: NRA not pro OC in Va State Forest

VIP Member

Exclamation NRA not pro OC in Va State Forest

From a VA-ALERT.

[First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

We need to hit the State Forest comment site harder on open carry
    - NRA only asking for concealed carry

Unfortunately when the NRA put out its alert on the State Forest
    comments, it didn't mention also pushing for unlicensed open carry.

So those of you who have NOT yet commented, please do so. We need to
    drown out those requesting only concealed carry.

Suggested title: "Please allow both open carry without a license and
    concealed carry"

Suggested text: "I support the proposed regulation, but it should
    also include unlicensed open carry."

Here is the link:

Virginia Regulatory Town Hall List Comments

Let's roll!

-------------------------------------------
    ************************************************** *************************
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
    dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
    Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL) [http://www.vcdl.org/]
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

WHHAAATTT!!!!! The NRA not pushing for OC. Color me shocked and flabbergasted. Don't get me wrong, I'm a member and they do some good stuff. But they seem like they could care less about OC. 2 armed citizen reports last year were OC, and I don't think they even mentioned it. We have a similar problem down here on Gamelands.

Overall, the NRA has bigger fish to fry than OC for now. Complete, 50-state shall-issue laws and reciprocity as with drivers' licenses are much higher priority than OC.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    reciprocity as with drivers' licenses are much higher priority than OC.
    Absolutely, I don't understand why it i s not now.

VIP Member
    Overall, the NRA has bigger fish to fry than OC for now. Complete, 50-state shall-issue laws and reciprocity as with drivers' licenses are much higher priority than OC.
    "Higher priority" doesn't mean unique (the-one-and-only).

If "Higher priority" did mean the-one-and-only priority/focus, why ask members to comment on a Virginia State Forest rule change in the first place?

What harm would it have done to suggest that members support the rule change and OC in the State Forest? How would it distract from 50-state shall-issue laws and reciprocity as with drivers' licenses?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Because as much as the Brady's want the sheep to think that the NRA is pushing OC they are not. We are! One person at a time. Either they could care less about it, don't want to touch it because it's controversial, or actually believe it's untouchable under the 2A. But they sure don't like to push it as any sort of agenda. I would think an organization that can help draft legislation in DC and 50 states could handle more than one issue as well.

VIP Member

Public Hearing

Old Va: Guns in State Forests V, The Public Hearing Old Virginia News

Old Va: Guns in State Forests V, The Public Hearing
    Today was the long awaited and dreaded, hearing by VDOF concerning the weapons rule change

Judging by the comments made by NRA members, I fully expected a great deal of opposition to Open carry. Not one person came in to support CHP only. Every non employee there was a VCDL member and everyone spoke…except myself. I’m not a good public speaker, am short tempered and blunt and there are some legal/ethical issues with me speaking to a Governmental Body while covering it for OV.

My wife spoke though.

Each speaker was effective and Professional. The whole thing made me proud to be a VCDL member. Imagine that. 100% attendance was VCDL.

The President of VCDL was busy at the General Assembly trying to deal with the unethical subcommittee and Bruce Jackson gave a masterful presentation. I have some video of Mr. Jackson’s presentation among others. That will be available here tomorrow.

Here are a few photos of the going ons.

[click on site for pixs (dh)]

Clint Kritzer, gave an especially good talk about his daughter who is not yet 21 and can’t get a permit yet.

The proceedings were very cordial among the VDOF Officials and Ronald Jenkins, Assistant State Forester was upfront with the questions I asked.

While there may still be a fight ahead, I’d consider this a very real win for all gunowners and VCDL members.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Commonwealth

Since Va. isn't a state.... The Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't have any State Parks... so in reality these laws don't apply to us!
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Flippinstk View Post
    Since Va. isn't a state.... The Commonwealth of Virginia doesn't have any State Parks... so in reality these laws don't apply to us!
    Haha...I like that line of thinking...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

GM
    Yes, you might be right. However, they should not totally ignore OC.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'm sure they are not against OC. I'm ok where the NRA is on the issue. They are focused on other battles.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

HKR
    They can focus on CC right now, then later OC(if they ever run out of CC battles). Stretch it out, keep the money coming in......

The NRA did some good in the past, but now they are all about compromise and self preservation. They're like the .gov, bloated and selfserving. Got enough people believing everything they say and blindly sending in the checks year after year.

If half the money that the modern NRA sees was put into grassroots state organizations then we would be a lot farther along in this fight than we are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippinstk View Post
    The OP is referring to State Forests, not State Parks. But yes, Virginia does have State Parks.

State Park Index
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Sorry for the hijack. Found this thread while trying to do some research as to why the NRA does not support open carry.

Oklahoma legislature recently passed a bill that would allow conceal carry permit holders to open carry. Passed with huge majority in both houses. Governor vetoed. Over ride failed by 3 votes. 7 who voted for it voted against it or did not vote. Any way, I watched the over ride debate live online and one rep mentioned that the NRA and ORA did not support the bill. So I began to question why. I cannot even find mention of the bill on NRA-ILA website.
    I will no longer support the ORA and am considering not renewing NRA membership.

I've read the "they have bigger fish to fry" statements etc. but really. How much effort would it be to at least show some support, if even token support, for a bill important to it's members here?

Why does the NRA oppose open carry?

Links