If a LEO grabs your gun...

This is a discussion on If a LEO grabs your gun... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Beachbumcook LEO's are not trained to "just walk up behind and unholster a person's gun." First the officer would probably have his ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: If a LEO grabs your gun...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post
    LEO's are not trained to "just walk up behind and unholster a person's gun."

First the officer would probably have his hand on his own gun or have his gun down by his side (in hand).

He would identify himself and give some sort of "command" to stop, please keep you hand away from your gun.... and so on....

"Space" between an officer and the "other person" is his best defense/offense... a LEO will never just walk up and try to disarm the person... he would tackle the person or some other offensive move first (if he had probable cause)... without "cause"... they will just verbally confront as the first step in the process.
    While the scenario is something that would probably never happen, there is no reason to ridicule the OP for asking it. Please try to keep responses civil.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If that happened to me I'd just whip a matrix move on him and walk up the wall.
    The possibility of either happening...is the same...neither is going to happen!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    think so?

The defense was that Jensen grabbed the defendant from behind and failed to identify himself as a police officer
    Yes, it was his defense. He was subsequently convicted of 2nd Degree Murder. Jereme A. Lamberth, who was wanted for the attempted murder of his sister (he stabbed her multiple times...apparently she snuck up on him and did not identify herself as his sister) when Colorado Springs police detective Jared Jensen attempted to arrest him. Lamberth shot him in the face. According to witnesses, Lamberth then stood over Detective Lamberth while he was laying on the ground and shot him again. Fine example you have chosen.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Maybe the link in my earlier post wasn't obvious enough...

Firearm Discussion • View topic - Well it happened

This is very similar to the OP's question only it involves a security guard instead of a LEO.

For the record, I post/read on georgiapacking.org fairly regularly and I believe what the poster in the link says to be the truth.

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    One of the worst things you could ever do is physically resist a Police Officer. In that situation I would stand down immediately after learning it was a cop. I can't imagine any court in the land would convict you for taking purely defensive action though
    I think that is a pretty safe assumption. If you can convince the court that you were unable to tell who was attempting to disarm you and took purely defensive action, stopping as soon as you realized it was a LEO, you would probably beat any charges of "resisting arrest" or "assault on a LEO". If someone who I cannot see or identify attempts to disarm me through force, I will immediately and automatically utilize the gun retention techniques I have been trained in. Most of them are likely to result in some level of injury to the person attempting to take my weapon.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

This has happened.

The ignorant cop couldn't work the serpa though so he never got control of the weapon.

It happened last year in Grayling Michigan.
    Detective Dennis J. Long

LINK

Quote Originally Posted by dougwg View Post
    This has happened.

The ignorant cop couldn't work the serpa though so he never got control of the weapon.

It happened last year in Grayling Michigan.
    Detective Dennis J. Long

LINK
    A good example of why I always use a holster with some level of postive retention if I am open carrying.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

If It ever happened and the cop arrested me for battery,at trial my defense would be, what a reasonable person would do if an unknown persaon tried to grab their legally carried firearm from behind,would you just let anybody take your gun without resisting assuming it was a cop,what if it was some crazy lunatic,without a verbal warning and proof of being an LEO I'm not surrendering my gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dam294 View Post
    Maybe the link in my earlier post wasn't obvious enough...

Firearm Discussion • View topic - Well it happened

This is very similar to the OP's question only it involves a security guard instead of a LEO.

For the record, I post/read on georgiapacking.org fairly regularly and I believe what the poster in the link says to be the truth.
    Caution, thread drift:

OK....but has there been a FOIA request been submitted to validate the poster's claims in this instance? I wouldn't be ready to cite this as a case to support the assertion that OC gun grabs happen by those in authority.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Caution, thread drift:

OK....but has there been a FOIA request been submitted to validate the poster's claims in this instance? I wouldn't be ready to cite this as a case to support the assertion that OC gun grabs happen by those in authority.
    Read the whole thread. GPDO posters are mostly people in Georgia. A lot of the posters have actually met each other in person. Although I have not met the OP in the link, many have. More than a couple of the posters in the thread are LEO's themselves. I belive what the man is saying.

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachbumcook View Post
    Oh well, if not for the stiupid questions people ask on this site, it would be boring.
    27 post and calling members stupid... bad form old boy!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Originally posted by TheGreatGonzo Yes, it was his defense. He was subsequently convicted of 2nd Degree Murder. Jereme A. Lamberth, who was wanted for the attempted murder of his sister (he stabbed her multiple times...apparently she snuck up on him and did not identify herself as his sister) when Colorado Springs police detective Jared Jensen attempted to arrest him. Lamberth shot him in the face. According to witnesses, Lamberth then stood over Detective Lamberth while he was laying on the ground and shot him again. Fine example you have chosen.
    And that is the only reason he was convicted. He deliberately shot Jensen again after he ceased to be any kind of threat. The fact still remains that Jared Jensen jumped this guy from behind W/out identifying himself as a Police Officer and got shot for his troubles.

The question doesn't seem quite so stupid now does it?

Quote Originally Posted by dam294 View Post
    Firearm Discussion &bull; View topic - Well it happened

Please don't disparage LEO's by comparing them to security guards...it's just rude.

i think that will remain a "what if" forever
    -Jim

I would immediately upon discovery of my assailants identity of being law enforcement comply with all verbal orders, apologize loudly stating I didn't know you were an LEO, ask what prompted the weapon grab, and request his superior to respond to the scene.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links